Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer Collision Saga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHGolferJim

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2014
Chapel Hill NC
On Saturday 6/17, a bloody deer leapt out in front of us on I-81 North between Roanoke and Lexington, VA. Was driving about 65mph with cruise control on a winding, mountainous stretch (without AutoSteer, I think). Swerved to avoid head-on collision. Don't know how the car stayed on the road, but no spin-out and no traffic nearby, thankfully. The car was stable throughout, and we drove about 30 miles further on a backroad at lower speed trying to reach Winchester until the low coolant warning light came on. Tesla told me to not drive any further, so we left it at a friend's office from Saturday to Tuesday while we visited relatives in Winchester. After 10 hours on the phone during that time with USAA, AAA and Tesla Roadside Assistance, we finally figured out which approved body shop to take it to and how to get it towed to Paragon Caliber Collision in Raleigh. Paragon is certified by both Tesla and USAA, and seems very professional upfront. Have not yet found out how many weeks it will take to get fixed. Awful ending to a wonderful week.

Attachments

• IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 132
On Saturday 6/17, a bloody deer leapt out in front of us on I-81 North between Roanoke and Lexington, VA. Was driving about 65mph with cruise control on a winding, mountainous stretch (without AutoSteer, I think). Swerved to avoid head-on collision. Don't know how the car stayed on the road, but no spin-out and no traffic nearby, thankfully. The car was stable throughout, and we drove about 30 miles further on a backroad at lower speed trying to reach Winchester until the low coolant warning light came on. Tesla told me to not drive any further, so we left it at a friend's office from Saturday to Tuesday while we visited relatives in Winchester. After 10 hours on the phone during that time with USAA, AAA and Tesla Roadside Assistance, we finally figured out which approved body shop to take it to and how to get it towed to Paragon Caliber Collision in Raleigh. Paragon is certified by both Tesla and USAA, and seems very professional upfront. Have not yet found out how many weeks it will take to get fixed. Awful ending to a wonderful week.
Your deer contact could have been much much worse as I experienced a couple weeks back. Thankful you are all OK.
My deer contact: My experience with Tesla Model X safety

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Your deer contact could have been much much worse as I experienced a couple weeks back. Thankful you are all OK.
My deer contact: My experience with Tesla Model X safety

That is shocking damage to you and the car, so sorry for your troubles. Yes, I am pretty sure the car kept me on the road. I think I made a very quick reflexive maneuver and just went halfway onto the shoulder before straightening out. But there were a hell of a lot of trees nearby that we so easily could have wrapped around. Funny thing is I made a similar maneuver as a teenager to avoid a stopped car just ahead of me, so maybe it's imprinted in my brain somehow.

Reactions: scottf200
That is shocking damage to you and the car, so sorry for your troubles. Yes, I am pretty sure the car kept me on the road. I think I made a very quick reflexive maneuver and just went halfway onto the shoulder before straightening out. But there were a hell of a lot of trees nearby that we so easily could have wrapped around. Funny thing is I made a similar maneuver as a teenager to avoid a stopped car just ahead of me, so maybe it's imprinted in my brain somehow.
Happy all is turning out OK for you. Keep in mind that hitting a tree is not as bad as you think if you consider it triggering the air bags which cocoon around you and your passengers. That happened to us. You could not tell my son was in 70+ mph accident just over 2 weeks ago! I'm happy to be walking to my eye doctor appts and taking a lot of care of myself *at* home. My respect for Tesla is off the charts for the non-typical reasons (amazing safety)

Glad to see you and the family are safe & sound.
In college I lost my room mate to a headon with a deer on Rt3 south of Boston. I had never before imagined the amount of tragedy and damage an animal could inflict upon a moving vehicle. Someone was watching over you. Peace.

Glad you are okay. Hope you can get your car fixed quickly. We have deer around her too and I've had close calls especially when I used to drive through a forested road on my way grocery shopping early every Saturday morning. They seem to come out in the early morning for breakfast I guess.

Unfortunately not everyone thinks to drive carefully at or below the speed limit where there is a high chance of encountering deer, so often I have someone tailgating me the whole way!

Update:
  • June 17 - deer attack
  • June 20 - car towed 208 miles from Raphine VA to Raleigh NC Tesla certified body shop Caliber Collision, 3110 Capital Blvd (thank you USAA!)
  • June 27 - received repairs estimate ($6,938)
  • July 5 - CC still has not received all parts, particularly the frunk hood (= June 21 + 14 days), "hope to complete next week"
  • July 9 - 18 days and counting
I want my car back!!

Update:
  • June 17 - deer attack
  • June 20 - car towed 208 miles from Raphine VA to Raleigh NC Tesla certified body shop Caliber Collision, 3110 Capital Blvd (thank you USAA!)
  • June 27 - received repairs estimate ($6,938)
  • July 5 - CC still has not received all parts, particularly the frunk hood (= June 21 + 14 days), "hope to complete next week"
  • July 9 - 18 days and counting
I want my car back!!
I thought I've seen a Tesla email address you contact when trying to get repairs done and they work with (keep on top of?) the shop. Are you using that?

I did a google search and found this page: Body Shop Support

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I thought I've seen a Tesla email address you contact when trying to get repairs done and they work with (keep on top of?) the shop. Are you using that?

I did a google search and found this page: Body Shop Support
From that page in case others are doing TMC searches.
For support with your Tesla at a Body Shop, please call 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4) to speak with a Body Shop Customer Advocate. You can also reach us by email at: [email protected]. Please reference your VIN and which Body Shop you are working with so we can promptly assist.

July 13 -- nothing, this is starting to piss me off. Had a busy week, will call tomorrow.....think Tesla will answer the phone? The 30-day limit for USAA rental car is Wednesday!! My friends are starting to tease me about Tesla prioritizing new sales instead of getting a frunk hood to NC. In the immortal words of Bjorn, sheeeeeit.

July 16 -- received an email from the body shop that they received the frunk hood and painted it on Friday (Day 23 after towing arrival). They will assemble and check for any system resets / codes on Monday (Day 26). Fingers crossed for Tuesday retrieval just in time for a week at the beach. I really did not want to drive the rental anymore (Tuesday will be 29 days with the Nissan Rogue). #spoiledbytesla

July 22 -- sweet relief, received back from Service Center which had to tweak electronics and, at the end, replace the wiring harness under the front bumper. When I got home, I noticed a few things that still need to be tweaked, but it is certainly drivable!! Out of service about a month, so be careful out there!!