Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer has an intimate encounter with MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, show the data that deer correlate engine noise with danger.
Deer are not intelligent animals, they go from point A to point B, they don’t look both ways when crossing a road and don’t know the sound of an engine means stop.
Ha, deer have great hearing, they are often spooked (danger) by cars and then make the wrong decision and don’t account properly for the speed and direction of the car.

They are always listening for noises and using that information to determine danger.

Ha, deer have great hearing, they are often spooked (danger) by cars and then make the wrong decision and don’t account properly for the speed and direction of the car.

They are always listening for noises and using that information to determine danger.
I never said they didn’t have great hearing. They do and are easily spooked. But, sudden noise like foot steps or voices spook them. The sound of an engine in a car approaching isn’t interpreted by deer as danger, stay away.

FWIW, Autopilot prevented a collision with a deer last fall. I was going 20 mph on a back road at night. A small fawn darted in front of the car. By the time I saw the deer it was only 10 feet or so away. The car saw it sooner and started hard braking. We missed hitting the deer by inches.

The minimum stopping distance at 20 mph is 20 feet. There is no way I could have stopped the car in time. It was a strange experience because I was certain we would hit the deer. Then a few minutes later a person ran across four lanes of highway right after I had turned onto it. My lane was the last one they crossed. I did brake hard but it wasn't a close call like the deer. Strange night.

Well today didn't quite start out in the best way, this happened during a short early morning drive. Deer came out of nowhere directly into my path, didn't even have a chance to react to it. Have tesla insurance, claim filed. Fingers crossed now... View attachment 897472View attachment 897473
I got lucky a few months ago and dodged a small deer on a country road. I ended up on the shoulder and couldn't believe I missed it. Later review of the incident showed how close the encounter was.
One thing that has worked for me, if you do see a deer next to the road hit the horn as you brake. The sound will usually startle them out of the "deer in the headlights" freeze and they will either bolt in front of you or turn away. Otherwise they wait until you are right on them before bolting, giving you no time to react.
Sorry about your experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-02 DEER.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-02 DEER.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 68
Update: got my car back yesterday with an impressive two and a half week turnaround, repaired at tesla collision in Elk Grove Village. So far so good, it is back to pre incident condition. If you are in IL I'd highly recommend tesla insurance!

Reactions: zoomer0056