Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying Delivery after paying for Model Y in Colorado?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appointments for delivery are date and time options provided by the online system. I was originally offered my choice of delivery dates: June 28 or June 29. Later the system reduced that down to June 28. I contacted Tesla and told them I wasn't able to pick it up until Saturday, July 1. We actually live about 100 miles away, but we planned on driving to Denver on July 1 (for another reason) and that it would make sense to pick it up on July 1 or July 3. They said the system could not be changed. I was left with the option of giving up that vehicle so they could sale it to someone else and I could take delivery sometime after June 30. They would extend my "hold" until July 1 which meant if the vehicle was still available, I could purchase it but otherwise I would have to wait for one from their inventory that met my specs or wait to have it built. I told them that is what I would do because I am not throwing away the $3K additional tax credit or making an extra trip to Denver. I pointed out that I was very disappointed with Tesla but apparently the folks I am dealing with are at the mercy of the Tesla system. At least that's what they say. What can you do if you really want the car? Furthermore, I have already installed a Tesla wall connector. Luckily, I don't NEED the car right now so I guess I can wait. Bottom line: They aren't very customer focused.
They are shareholder focused. I would bet they are not delivering very many Teslas in Colorado before July 1st. Who would give up 3k?

Telsa is not allowing any wiggle room for my order either. Already used my 2 week hold the first half of June and the new VIN is supposedly arriving today and my only options for picking up is today or tomorrow even after pressing them to delay to Saturday the 1st. I get why they're doing it but annoying nonetheless. Mostly likely will be having to cancel and create a new order.

Last edited:
Telsa is not allowing any wiggle room for my order either. Already used my 2 week hold the first half of June and the new VIN is supposedly arriving today and my only options for picking up is today or tomorrow even after pressing them to delay to Saturday the 1st. I get why their doing it but annoying nonetheless. Mostly likely will be having to cancel and create a new order.
So I thought that would happen for me, as they specifically stated the 14 day hold was the only hold possible. Well after that hold expired, the next car came in earlier than the estimated delivery date and they would not allow me to pick up on July 1. They offered to put my order on hold again until July 1st and I acccepted. So I have not yet lost my order fee, or the price of the vehicle when i ordered it and nor have i paid for it yet. On saturday the 1st, i'll ask if they have removed the hold as I am ready to take delivery.

Reactions: Peppers4Peace
Nice to hear, regardless here's to hoping for plenty of inventory availability starting this weekend and maybe I'll get paired back up with the same VIN.
So far there is no increase in inventory in colorado on sites on like waitingfortesla.com. Maybe a bunch are expecting delivery today/tomorrow that will be cancelled and will then be released as inventory on saturday. No indication of that so far.

Reactions: Peppers4Peace
Interesting txt from tesla a few minutes ago. I replied that yes I can take delivery and please provide the Vin asap so I can obtain insurance coverage.

Hi XXX. We've just received an exciting update that for customers who are paying for their Tesla in full, we are able to schedule a pick up for July 1! If we have a car available that matches your order, would you like to come pick up on 7/1?

Interesting txt from tesla a few minutes ago. I replied that yes I can take delivery and please provide the Vin asap so I can obtain insurance coverage.

Hi XXX. We've just received an exciting update that for customers who are paying for their Tesla in full, we are able to schedule a pick up for July 1! If we have a car available that matches your order, would you like to come pick up on 7/1?
And now I have a VIN (PF810XXX) and a delivery scheduled for July 1st 10AM in Aurora.

Hi,

I live in Colorado and we have a new tax credit that starts July 1 (tomorrow).

I placed an order for a M3 and haven't received a VIN or delivery date yet.

The app is showing options for existing inventory and would work for me, but I want to wait until tomorrow to pick up the vehicle.

My Tesla rep is saying that the existing inventory is for picking up today. Does that sound right? Not sure what he could do if I selected a car, but didn't pick up until tomorrow?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pretty sure the car I had built but was released by the Tesla online system is now in inventory and discounted $530 less than what I was going to pay for it. I almost signed up to buy it out of inventory but finally found someone at Tesla who said the system will force me to take delivery before July 1 (thus losing the additional $3K tax credit) or I will lose that car too. At least that's the situation if purchasing a car in Colorado. Tesla really wants to close sales before the second quarter ends, even if it makes for unhappy customers. It looks like I will have to wait until July 1 when the system takes my hold off and either finds the car I want, or they build me a new one.
I am in a similar boat. I just read the agreement and it says that I have to take possession within 3 days. Just place the order. Will see what happens.

Sorry. I meant Just PLACED the order. Darn no edit button.

I released my 2nd hold earlier this afternoon as well. It was around 12 noon, so I figured they wouldn't have enough time to prep the car to force me to take it today. I got a VIN assigned within an hour to one of the inventory units that matches my exact build. I called them and they told me the car is already at the Aurora SC and there is still a chance I would be forced to take delivery today. As of now (9:29PM), the car still shows 7/2-7/8 EDD. I'm glad I cleared the forced delivery and hopefully can take delivery this weekend. BTW mine is MYLR5 Blue/White 19" Gemini.

Reactions: boones
I released my 2nd hold earlier this afternoon as well. It was around 12 noon, so I figured they wouldn't have enough time to prep the car to force me to take it today. I got a VIN assigned within an hour to one of the inventory units that matches my exact build. I called them and they told me the car is already at the Aurora SC and there is still a chance I would be forced to take delivery today. As of now (9:29PM), the car still shows 7/2-7/8 EDD. I'm glad I cleared the forced delivery and hopefully can take delivery this weekend. BTW mine is MYLR5 Blue/White 19" Gemini.
Perfect. The car you want with more of your state tax money returned to you. Well done.

Reactions: Milehighblue