Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery and Registration question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, I configured my model 3 a week ago and I chose Dallas TX as my delivery location but then I realized that I could register my car in NJ as my wife currently works and resides in NJ (long story). Since I have already chosen Dallas, TX as my delivery location, do I need to call Tesla and change it to NJ in order for me to register it in NJ or would it be possible to take delivery in Dallas but register it in NJ? And also, if I have to change the delivery location, would it affect delivery date negatively?

Probably have to call. The registration is completed before delivery day. I was emailed and had to confirm registration address before delivery.

No one really knows if it’ll affect delivery time. TX is prob one of the worse states to take delivery anyways. So NJ maybe better. And there’s tax incentives. However you’ll have to drive it back to TX then re register the car after all said and done.

Reactions: osu_cowboy_007
Hi Guys, I configured my model 3 a week ago and I chose Dallas TX as my delivery location but then I realized that I could register my car in NJ as my wife currently works and resides in NJ (long story). Since I have already chosen Dallas, TX as my delivery location, do I need to call Tesla and change it to NJ in order for me to register it in NJ or would it be possible to take delivery in Dallas but register it in NJ? And also, if I have to change the delivery location, would it affect delivery date negatively?
were you able to get delivery in Dallas and register in NJ ?

Since you haven’t been assigned a VIN, it’s probably even less of an impact to the process. For comparison, I was already assigned a VIN for delivery in a different state and switched it to NJ and did not really have any problems with delivery/registration. You would have to call. I had been assigned an ISA already so he made the switch for me.

Can i register in NJ without driving license?