Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery charges nonbypassable (SDGE)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my first full bill from SDGE after my solar install. I’m on TOU5, so expected that $16 charge, but I was a little surprised that I had delivery charges for On-Peak and Super Off-Peak usage. Can you not use credits to cover delivery charges? Total bill was $25.72, which is still a bargain, but is making me wonder if a different TOU plan would be better. After one and a half months, I have $110 in credits in the bank.

Not quite enough detail about your electricity usage, especially about how much you use in each TOU period, to give you an accurate answer.

I am not on SDG&E's EV-TOU5 rate but I understand you should be paying the $16 per month service fee plus any NBCs you accumulate. SDG&E is currently charging $0.01971 per kWh for NBCs. Did you perhaps accumulate 493kWh in NBCs for your billing period? If so, that would work out to be the $9.72 you paid above and beyond the $16 basic monthly service fee for EV-TOU5 rate schedule.

Now, if you are on a Community Choice Aggregation plan the billing gets more complicated as SDG&E bills you for delivery and the CCA bills you for generation. If this is the case, good luck figuring out the details of your bill.

Not quite enough detail about your electricity usage, especially about how much you use in each TOU period, to give you an accurate answer.

I am not on SDG&E's EV-TOU5 rate but I understand you should be paying the $16 per month service fee plus any NBCs you accumulate. SDG&E is currently charging $0.01971 per kWh for NBCs. Did you perhaps accumulate 493kWh in NBCs for your billing period? If so, that would work out to be the $9.72 you paid above and beyond the $16 basic monthly service fee for EV-TOU5 rate schedule.

Now, if you are on a Community Choice Aggregation plan the billing gets more complicated as SDG&E bills you for delivery and the CCA bills you for generation. If this is the case, good luck figuring out the details of your bill.
Thanks for your help. I figured out the overall charges, but can't figure out the NBC calculation as they don't break it down. Here's what my bill says.

$16 monthly service fee for TOU5
$8.40 for non-bypassable charges (no explanation for how this was calculated on my bill)
$2.78 for wildfires
-$1.46 for bond adjustment

total: $25.72

Summer rates
On-peak: 31
Off-peak: -186
Super off-peak: 10

Winter rates
On-peak: 71
Off-peak: -224
Super off-peak: 65

If I add up all of the positive usage, I get 177 kWh. Multiplying by $0.01971, I get $3.49. No idea how it gets to $8.40.

Attachments

• 1669480267313.png
    1669480267313.png
    950 bytes · Views: 33
Just in case it isn't clear, a non-bypassable charge is applied to all electric power supplied by the utility. "Non-bypassable" means that power that you send to the grid is not subtracted. So for example, if you consume 500kW in a month from the grid, and send back at other times during the same month 400kW, the NBC is calculated on 500kW. Every customer, not just solar owners pay the NBCs, but for non-solar users, the NBC charge is bundled into the total charges. The Tesla app does show the amount of power sent by the grid each day/month/year.

Just in case it isn't clear, a non-bypassable charge is applied to all electric power supplied by the utility. "Non-bypassable" means that power that you send to the grid is not subtracted. So for example, if you consume 500kW in a month from the grid, and send back at other times during the same month 400kW, the NBC is calculated on 500kW. Every customer, not just solar owners pay the NBCs, but for non-solar users, the NBC charge is bundled into the total charges. The Tesla app does show the amount of power sent by the grid each day/month/year.
Ah. And to be obtuse, they don’t bother showing the total used on the bill, just the net in each TOU category.