Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery coming up, help me get ready?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends,

Next weekend, I may be coming to picking up my used Model S, if Tesla holds up their word.

I know there are checklists out there, but can someone help me get ready and reiterate some of the more important checks given the current situation and recent issues that may be prominent.

Couple of my factors to consider:

1. I'm in Texas.
2. Never, ever owned or drove a Tesla for more than 5 to 10 minutes. Haven't watch the tutorial videos either yet. Should I?
3. Delivery center is about 3+ hours or like 177, 180 miles away...

Outside of the checklists, can you guys prepare me for what to expect? I have heard things like:

1. Cars are not always washed and clean.
2. Missing features, accessories or anything like that?
3. Will they be punctual?
4. What will I have to do while I'm there and come home in terms of paper work? What will I walk out with? I'm only getting a temporary tag from Tesla.
5. How do I check the battery version?

Thank you as always for your help!

Friends,

Next weekend, I may be coming to picking up my used Model S, if Tesla holds up their word.

I know there are checklists out there, but can someone help me get ready and reiterate some of the more important checks given the current situation and recent issues that may be prominent.

1. I'm in Texas.
2. Never, ever owned or drove a Tesla for more than 5 to 10 minutes. Haven't watch the tutorial videos either yet. Should I?

Outside of the checklists, can you guys prepare me for what to expect? I have heard things like:

4. What will I have to do while I'm there and come home in terms of paper work? What will I walk out with? I'm only getting a temporary tag from Tesla.

This is an exciting time! As you have a fairly long drive home, I'd want to make sure the car has at least a 90% charge. Once you get that range figure, you should be able to extrapolate what a full charge will get you in terms of range. Also be sure to plan your trip back beforehand to see any supercharging spots you may need to stop at just in case. You can use the 'A better route planner' site for a more accurate picture of what you can expect in terms of range needs.

As for Tesla, they are normally pretty punctual (or have been in my case) but do not feel rushed. Take your time going over the car and be sure to ask anything you want answered (make a list of questions beforehand and bring them with you if needed).

Things specifically to check:
- Make sure you have a mobile charger with the J1772 and 14-50 adapters (your car should have all three in a round black bag).
- Check for any obvious damage that was not disclosed in the pictures. The car was moved around since the pictures were originally taken.
- Tesla (depending on service/delivery center) has been good about cleaning/detailing the cars more recently so I don't think there will be any issues with that.

During the delivery process, you will sign a few documents. Once the docs are signed, they should offer to set up the app on your phone - make sure you can sign into the app and see the car on your account. The delivery process is fairly painless and usually takes just a few minutes. Don't be surprised if they don't allow you to see/inspect the car prior to you signing but again this is delivery-center dependent. You will leave with the keys and a temporary plate that should be installed on the car. That's pretty much it. All docs you sign will show up in your account.

Within 30 days, you should receive the title to the car in the mail so you can register it with your local DMV. One thing I was told was that if for whatever reason, you do not receive the title prior to around 5 days before the temp tag expires, call the delivery center to have the temp tag extended (state-dependent) so you do not run the risk of having the temp tag expire and not being able to register the car.

Finally to check battery version, look for the sticker located on the battery behind the passenger wheel well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Also, chances are, your delivery will go fine. Remember: most persons report the negative experiences on forums. Most dont create accounts and post to say "all went as expected/normal". So dont get swayed by the negative stories

enjoy your pickup!

This is an exciting time! As you have a fairly long drive home, I'd want to make sure the car has at least a 90% charge. Once you get that range figure, you should be able to extrapolate what a full charge will get you in terms of range. Also be sure to plan your trip back beforehand to see any supercharging spots you may need to stop at just in case. You can use the 'A better route planner' site for a more accurate picture of what you can expect in terms of range needs.

As for Tesla, they are normally pretty punctual (or have been in my case) but do not feel rushed. Take your time going over the car and be sure to ask anything you want answered (make a list of questions beforehand and bring them with you if needed).

- Make sure you have a mobile charger with the J1772 and 14-50 adapters (your car should have all three in a round black bag).
- Check for any obvious damage that was not disclosed in the pictures. The car was moved around since the pictures were originally taken.
- Tesla (depending on service/delivery center) has been good about cleaning/detailing the cars more recently so I don't think there will be any issues with that.

During the delivery process, you will sign a few documents. Once the docs are signed, they should offer to set up the app on your phone - make sure you can sign into the app and see the car on your account. The delivery process is fairly painless and usually takes just a few minutes. Don't be surprised if they don't allow you to see/inspect the car prior to you signing but again this is delivery-center dependent. You will leave with the keys and a temporary plate that should be installed on the car. That's pretty much it. All docs you sign will show up in your account.

Within 30 days, you should receive the title to the car in the mail so you can register it with your local DMV. One thing I was told was that if for whatever reason, you do not receive the title prior to around 5 days before the temp tag expires, call the delivery center to have the temp tag extended (state-dependent) so you do not run the risk of having the temp tag expire and not being able to register the car.

Finally to check battery version, look for the sticker located on the battery behind the passenger wheel well.

Considering some SC's don't allow an inspection, is there any type of return window if not satisfied or additional undisclosed damage is discovered? 48 hours or something along those lines? Seems risky to drop a large chunk of change "sight unseen."

Friends,

1. I'm in Texas.

I'm also in the market for a used Tesla. Can you point me to the checklist you're referring to above? Thanks!

- Order at least two charger network cards, ASAP. EVGo and Chargepoint are tops.
- Charge to 100%. Its OK. The car won't explode. Do it because your are going X-country and you also need to experience how 'taper' works. Don't let it sit for more than 3 hours after that.
- Get software updated to latest 2020.12.x release (while Supercharging should be OK, unless the update time is > the charging time)
- Familiarize yourself with the nearest Supercharger, destination charger etc. nearest your house
- If you average more than 30 mi consider a WC. If you average more than 45 mi daily, definitely get one.
- If you are picking up in the Dallas area, I recommend visiting the Southlake Supercharger. Its top 3 in the state for amenities nearby.
- The Supercharger in West Austin is very nice, I'm told.
- Have them show you where the 'tow hook' is. You may never need it. I needed it on the second day I owned my car, and never again.
- Get an account on Plugshare, then check-out the 'Activity Feed' to see what the local 'charger scene' is all about.
- Be sure to keep your charge level to 135% of the distance you are driving, unless you have bad weather or up-hill to go.

... and one more thing.
If you want to minimize carbon inputs to your car - I've studied the Texas grid (ercot.com) to find any times that the wind sourced energy appears. About half the nights, the wind is strongest at 3:00AM. Maybe 15-20% its the adjacent hours. Just set your car's timer to charge at 2:30AM every night, and you will tap the most renewable electricity (as a proportion) on the grid. When I say strong, I mean supplying 50% of the electricity rolling around, as a proportion of grid demand (at least in Spring). Keep the wind at your back, and at 3:00AM.

Attachments

• IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Been so helpful since day 1, Danny, thank you so much!

If they don't charge me 100% and I have to Supercharge, do you know if I can confident that whatever the car shows as range, will work? I intend to not push AT ALL on this journey, it should be a normal, non cold day.

I'm interested in check the battery version, any pointers on doing this on my own?

Also can I view any screens to verify if certain features are available?

I know for the most part Tesla will tell me to eff off... But, do you know what exactly would be within my right to get corrected in case of surprises and what constitutes a walk away?

Also, chances are, your delivery will go fine. Remember: most persons report the negative experiences on forums. Most dont create accounts and post to say "all went as expected/normal". So dont get swayed by the negative stories

enjoy your pickup!

Hoping so, myself! Thank you!

It sounds like a typical experience.

Why should Tesla repaint the bumper or reduce the price? It's a used car, not a refurbished or certified pre-owned car. They will fix issues if it affects the safety of the car or how it drives under the warranty. Otherwise, you're on your own.

If you don't like it someone else will buy it. I don't think Tesla really cares about keeping you as a customer.

Truth, though never experienced such an indifference towards lack of customer service. Then again, no one has this product :-(...

Considering some SC's don't allow an inspection, is there any type of return window if not satisfied or additional undisclosed damage is discovered? 48 hours or something along those lines? Seems risky to drop a large chunk of change "sight unseen."

Wondering the same, though, I think it's as-is after you drive off...

- Order at least two charger network cards, ASAP. EVGo and Chargepoint are tops.
- Charge to 100%. Its OK. The car won't explode. Do it because your are going X-country and you also need to experience how 'taper' works. Don't let it sit for more than 3 hours after that.
- Get software updated to latest 2020.12.x release (while Supercharging should be OK, unless the update time is > the charging time)
- Familiarize yourself with the nearest Supercharger, destination charger etc. nearest your house
- If you average more than 30 mi consider a WC. If you average more than 45 mi daily, definitely get one.
- If you are picking up in the Dallas area, I recommend visiting the Southlake Supercharger. Its top 3 in the state for amenities nearby.
- The Supercharger in West Austin is very nice, I'm told.
- Have them show you where the 'tow hook' is. You may never need it. I needed it on the second day I owned my car, and never again.
- Get an account on Plugshare, then check-out the 'Activity Feed' to see what the local 'charger scene' is all about.
- Be sure to keep your charge level to 135% of the distance you are driving, unless you have bad weather or up-hill to go.

... and one more thing.
If you want to minimize carbon inputs to your car - I've studied the Texas grid (ercot.com) to find any times that the wind sourced energy appears. About half the nights, the wind is strongest at 3:00AM. Maybe 15-20% its the adjacent hours. Just set your car's timer to charge at 2:30AM every night, and you will tap the most renewable electricity (as a proportion) on the grid. When I say strong, I mean supplying 50% of the electricity rolling around, as a proportion of grid demand (at least in Spring). Keep the wind at your back, and at 3:00AM.

Lots of great info, my friend, thank you! Are you from Austin, TX area?

I'm not sure why you emphasized buying charging cards and such? Do you totally expect the Supercharger network to not be enough?

Good call in the tow hook! Do you know if they'll let me inspect the car before signing something?

Thank you again!

Been so helpful since day 1, Danny, thank you so much!

If they don't charge me 100% and I have to Supercharge, do you know if I can confident that whatever the car shows as range, will work? I intend to not push AT ALL on this journey, it should be a normal, non cold day.

I'm interested in check the battery version, any pointers on doing this on my own?

Also can I view any screens to verify if certain features are available?

I know for the most part Tesla will tell me to eff off... But, do you know what exactly would be within my right to get corrected in case of surprises and what constitutes a walk away?

Thanks and appreciated. It wasn't that long ago that I was asking similar questions as I made my way through my used Model S purchase. Regarding range, once you start your trip, you can check the trip graph on the energy screen which will show you how you are doing with regards to the original estimated range usage based on your driving conditions. This screen tends to be pretty accurate and will adjust as you drive. Also keep an eye on your watt hours per mile (wh/m) number. At 290 wh/m, the car will just about match it's rated range. A lower number helps to beat the range estimates. Higher numbers will result in less range.

You should be able to see the battery sticker yourself. Just take a look behind the passenger side front wheel. The sticker with the part number/revision number should be visible on the battery pack.

There are a few screens. First, you can check the AC control screen to see if you have heated rear seats (meaning subzero package) and heated steering wheel. There is an 'Additional Vehicle Info' screen available now which will tell you if the car has the hifi audio system.

Regarding any items missing or issues found, you can certainly ask. They may decline to fix/provide, they may offer a due bill meaning they will address said items at a later point in time, or in the case of a missing tow hook or something similar, they will provide there.

Good call in the tow hook! Do you know if they'll let me inspect the car before signing something?

Really depends on the service center. The first car I took delivery of, they didn't let me see it until it was signed for (but it was right outside in the lot so I got to visually inspect the exterior when I got there). The second car, the delivery advisor told me I could check the car out while she got the paperwork ready. Depends on how busy they are, etc...

Lots of great info, my friend, thank you! Are you from Austin, TX area?

I used to live in Southlake, just N. of Ft. Worth. I've been to every Supercharger in the Metroplex area, except the one in Arlington. I currently live in Houston -- and I'm a bit of a Supercharger critic. I've probably been to more than 50% of the Texas ones, and I'm familiar with all their weaknesses, which are few, but annoying.

The charger cards are becoming less and less useful, since the Superchargers are robust enough, uncrowded, and reasonably priced (I have the all-you-can-eat plan). Still, you might want to shop at a mall, with covered parking or close-in parking that has a charging stall -- and it is very poor form to park in these stalls without charging. And, they help when you want to top-off the car at a hotel which has no Tesla chargers, or which is near a level 2 charger. Accordingly, I recommend you get the cards. I have one for each of the main Texas networks. Annually, I use the bunch about 5-8 times.

Last edited:
Friends,

1. I'm in Texas.

Absolutely should do all the research you can. YT is full of vids on delivery and driving tips. Definitely watch the
Tesla vids before you go. Better yet, rent a similar car on Turo for a day. Will be the best 150 you ever spent.

As far as condition, the most important thing is to check the battery capacity. Other problems can be fixed under the 4 year warranty, but battery degradation is NOT covered.

To get a rough idea, select rated range on the energy graph. Then, toggle from Miles to Percent. Divide Rated Miles by Percent battery, to get approx rated range.

Ask for a copy of the orig monrony window sticker and compare the EPA range to the full RR as found above.
If the car has less than 80% of new, walk away.

Having been through the used purchase process through Tesla twice in the last 6 months, i can assure you its a nail-biting process. First off - it's 100% take it as is or leave it. Our first buy was a 2016 X with 16k miles that was totally flawless - we couldn't find a single issue. Our second by was a 2016 S that we knew had some minor issues from the pics we saw. We found some more small ones when we picked it up (one key fob looked like it had been chewed on) and saw the yellow ring that wasn't in pictures - the delivery team basically said "tough luck". No test drive allowed. Squeaks, creaks, and rattles are not covered under the warranty - we found this out the hard way with the X... we'd assumed that any issued would be taken care of after delivery, but that's just not the case. We felt fortunate though, most of the used cars being picked up looked like they'd been driven through gravel storms - it was that bad on most of them. At the end of the day, we were happy with our purchases, but be 100% ready to refuse delivery. The Tesla team doesn't seem to care (we spent over 2 hours making the decision on the S, and we didn't feel pressured at all either way), but I know that if you refuse delivery on more than one or two, they'll black list you from trying to buy any more used Teslas

Reactions: aerodyne
It seems perfectly possible.. Elon has barred a noted critic from buying another Tesla.

It may be hard, but worth the effort if you get a good car. My prior owner took exceptional care, and it shows

Try to get a car that came off a lease.

Thanks and appreciated. It wasn't that long ago that I was asking similar questions as I made my way through my used Model S purchase. Regarding range, once you start your trip, you can check the trip graph on the energy screen which will show you how you are doing with regards to the original estimated range usage based on your driving conditions. This screen tends to be pretty accurate and will adjust as you drive. Also keep an eye on your watt hours per mile (wh/m) number. At 290 wh/m, the car will just about match it's rated range. A lower number helps to beat the range estimates. Higher numbers will result in less range.

You should be able to see the battery sticker yourself. Just take a look behind the passenger side front wheel. The sticker with the part number/revision number should be visible on the battery pack.

There are a few screens. First, you can check the AC control screen to see if you have heated rear seats (meaning subzero package) and heated steering wheel. There is an 'Additional Vehicle Info' screen available now which will tell you if the car has the hifi audio system.

Regarding any items missing or issues found, you can certainly ask. They may decline to fix/provide, they may offer a due bill meaning they will address said items at a later point in time, or in the case of a missing tow hook or something similar, they will provide there.

Really depends on the service center. The first car I took delivery of, they didn't let me see it until it was signed for (but it was right outside in the lot so I got to visually inspect the exterior when I got there). The second car, the delivery advisor told me I could check the car out while she got the paperwork ready. Depends on how busy they are, etc...

Thank you Danny... Great info, especially the first part! I hope to pay it forward too. I don't think I have the subzero package...

I used to live in Southlake, just N. of Ft. Worth. I've been to every Supercharger in the Metroplex area, except the one in Arlington. I currently live in Houston -- and I'm a bit of a Supercharger critic. I've probably been to more than 50% of the Texas ones, and I'm familiar with all their weaknesses, which are few, but annoying.

The charger cards are becoming less and less useful, since the Superchargers are robust enough, uncrowded, and reasonably priced (I have the all-you-can-eat plan). Still, you might want to shop at a mall, with covered parking or close-in parking that has a charging stall -- and it is very poor form to park in these stalls without charging. And, they help when you want to top-off the car at a hotel which has no Tesla chargers, or which is near a level 2 charger. Accordingly, I recommend you get the cards. I have one for each of the main Texas networks. Annually, I use the bunch about 5-8 times.

Thanks, makes sense what you're saying about the mall charging scenario. Thankfully, I don't drive much and I'll keep my older ICE too cause it may not be worth selling...

Absolutely should do all the research you can. YT is full of vids on delivery and driving tips. Definitely watch the
Tesla vids before you go. Better yet, rent a similar car on Turo for a day. Will be the best 150 you ever spent.

As far as condition, the most important thing is to check the battery capacity. Other problems can be fixed under the 4 year warranty, but battery degradation is NOT covered.

To get a rough idea, select rated range on the energy graph. Then, toggle from Miles to Percent. Divide Rated Miles by Percent battery, to get approx rated range.

Ask for a copy of the orig monrony window sticker and compare the EPA range to the full RR as found above.
If the car has less than 80% of new, walk away.

Great info! Would you happen to have a video I can watch to understand the menus you mentioned? And when you say 80% of the capacity, I assume you mean the battery that's on the car at present? I ask the silly question because there is a chance I have a 90 battery on a lower original battery. Also, 80%, did you get that number from some study/data?

Having been through the used purchase process through Tesla twice in the last 6 months, i can assure you its a nail-biting process. First off - it's 100% take it as is or leave it. Our first buy was a 2016 X with 16k miles that was totally flawless - we couldn't find a single issue. Our second by was a 2016 S that we knew had some minor issues from the pics we saw. We found some more small ones when we picked it up (one key fob looked like it had been chewed on) and saw the yellow ring that wasn't in pictures - the delivery team basically said "tough luck". No test drive allowed. Squeaks, creaks, and rattles are not covered under the warranty - we found this out the hard way with the X... we'd assumed that any issued would be taken care of after delivery, but that's just not the case. We felt fortunate though, most of the used cars being picked up looked like they'd been driven through gravel storms - it was that bad on most of them. At the end of the day, we were happy with our purchases, but be 100% ready to refuse delivery. The Tesla team doesn't seem to care (we spent over 2 hours making the decision on the S, and we didn't feel pressured at all either way), but I know that if you refuse delivery on more than one or two, they'll black list you from trying to buy any more used Teslas

Scary experience, did not know they were actually blacklisting! Especially for canceling only twice! Would you happen to know how we can reject delivery if they make us sign papers first before even looking at the car?

Actually can any of you guys educate me on walking away if they make you sign before you can check the car?

Thank you guys!

80% capacity, means 20% degradation. That is about twice what you should expect on a 3 year old car. I would not want to have more than that.

You have a lot a questions. This is good, but to get answers more effectively, rent a car on Turo. Most owners will insist on giving you adequate training and happy to walk you though the menu.

Have you looked up the cars VIN on EV CPO to get all the options and the pricing data?....the longer you wait, the more Tesla will drop the price. Based on today's auto market, might be worth the risk of loosing the car.

If this is not enough info, PM me.

Reactions: Fragger
I considered renting a car on Turo before my first purchase but only because I was interested in the rear-facing seats and was wondering what they were really like, if my kids would fit in them, want to use them, etc...

In the end, I wound up deciding against renting - it's not really needed and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in someone else's car. You will most likely look for excuses to spend time in your Model S learning how things work.

Regarding range, the P90D was originally rated for 270 miles (according to Tesla). This means you would want a 100% charge to be 243 or higher (meaning no more than 10% degradation). When you get in the car, you can look at the miles remaining and % remaining indicators on the dash and extrapolate what your 100% charge will be.

Friends,

1. I'm in Texas.

Bring a USB thumb drive with your favorite songs so you will have something to listen to on the drive home.

Download and login to the app. Your car can show up hours before pickup.

If they hand you 1 remote, ask where's the second one. Insist on receiving a second one and get the Due Bill for it.

These are the adapters you should be receiving: J1772, NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50.

J1772 1067348-00-A_0 copy 3.jpg
NEMA 5-15 1014355-10-B_0 copy 3.jpg
NEMA 14-50 1014324-10-E_0 copy 3.jpg

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Fragger
Bring a USB thumb drive with your favorite songs so you will have something to listen to on the drive home.

Download and login to the app. Your car can show up hours before pickup.

If they hand you 1 remote, ask where's the second one. Insist on receiving a second one and get the Due Bill for it.

These are the adapters you should be receiving: J1772, NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50.

View attachment 534974 View attachment 534975 View attachment 534977

Sorry to tell you but those are adapters for the Gen 1 UMC which they havent made for years lol..

You now get a Gen 2 UMC which has completely different adapters, and from what i’ve heard from posts the last few months, no NEMA 14-50 adapter

Hopefully he still gets the J1772

I also realize some people seem to prefer the USB music route, but i just don’t see the point when most people already have all of their music on their smartphones. You can try and argue that the quality is better, but I can tell you that as an audiophile it’s almost impossible to tell the difference now, and the convenience outweighs the perceived increase in quality. Just make sure you download and/or stream at the highest setting and it will sound great!

Sorry to tell you but those are adapters for the Gen 1 UMC which they havent made for years lol..

You now get a Gen 2 UMC which has completely different adapters, and from what i’ve heard from posts the last few months, no NEMA 14-50 adapter

You get what's in the car. If the car still has the original UMC (Gen 1), that's what you will get. If the UMC is missing, Tesla will give you a new UMC (Gen 2) possibly without the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

• Informative
Scary experience, did not know they were actually blacklisting! Especially for canceling only twice! Would you happen to know how we can reject delivery if they make us sign papers first before even looking at the car?

Actually can any of you guys educate me on walking away if they make you sign before you can check the car?

I read about the blacklisting on this forum and it spooked me quite a bit as well. I actually cancelled the order on the car i bought and then reordered it after the price dropped another ~$7k. I was really concerned to cancel/walk away on day of delivery because I didn't want to fall into that group. I'm not sure how many times you need to do it to get blacklisted, but its low single digits.

You can do the inspection prior to signing anything. They're super chill about it and give you as much time as you want (at least at Marina Del Ray where i picked up two). They'll give you the keys (no test drive) and leave you alone with the car to make your decision.

• Informative