Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Dependent on Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am new to TMC. I ordered a Model S LR (originally in December and then refreshed order in February). Does anyone know if delivery is at all based on the dealership? In other words, are some dealerships in Southern California getting deliveries and others not? I am seeing some deliveries but my SA is saying her dealership isn’t getting any.

Wow. Why are they not allowed?
Here's a copy and paste from a veto:

"Gov. Tony Evers says he vetoed a provision that would’ve allowed electric car manufacturer Tesla to sell directly to consumers instead of through dealers as part of a broader goal of eliminating earmarks from the budget and because it was a “payoff” to get a vote.

“It was one of many earmarks; We tried to catch as many as we could,” Evers said Monday. “And it was an earmark, and frankly, it was a payoff to get a vote to get the budget passed. But most importantly, it was an earmark and we decided that wasn’t worth having in the budget.”

Regardless of the idea that it was an "earmark," direct delivery of Tesla's is happening all over the country and allowing it to happen in Wisconsin should be allowed.

Upvote 0
Wow. Why are they not allowed?

Franchise dealership laws prohibit auto manufacturers from owning the retail sales facilities (dealerships) through which their products are sold/delivered. The law requires the local retail facility to be owned by an independent third party, a franchised dealer, rather than the manufacturer.

However, various states have made exceptions for Tesla and granted them at least a select number of dealership licenses in those states. Other states, like Wisconsin, have chosen not to do so at this point which means those customers have to go outside of that state to legally take possession. They can go to a "gallery" to look, get information, etc. but have to go through a "store" (dealership) to buy/take delivery.

Upvote 0
If I flew out to Fremont to pick up my MSLR, how much sooner do you think I would get it instead of waiting on delivery to Ohio? And would my destination charge be waived?

Thanks
Prob not much different. Also, no destination charge is federal and required. Also you'll pay California sales tax as Ohio sales tax unless Ohio will give you credit for the tax you pay in CA

Upvote 0
If I flew out to Fremont to pick up my MSLR, how much sooner do you think I would get it instead of waiting on delivery to Ohio? And would my destination charge be waived?

The $1,200 destination charge is mandatory regardless of which Tesla store/dealership the car is shipped to from the factory.

The only time you may be able to save shipping costs is when inventory cars are being transferred between Tesla stores/dealerships e.g., if a car you want is in Florida and you want to take delivery in Ohio, Tesla may charge $1,000 (on top of the $1,200 destination charge already included in the total MSRP) to ship the car to Ohio but if you went down to Florida and took delivery there and drove it back yourself, you could avoid paying the additional $1,000.

Reactions: ctate_us
Upvote 0