Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Experience: White/White Non-PUP Performance FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some quick notes on the delivery of my White/White Non-PUP Performance FSD Model Y. This is my first Tesla.

Ordered November 2019, was delivered June 28, 2020.

IMG_5237.jpeg IMG_5239.jpeg IMG_5235.jpeg

We used a checklist and spent about an hour going over the car. There were some minor panel gaps and misalignments, such as the tail lights, but nothing particularly egregious in my opinion, though I would have preferred to not have any. Still figuring out what to complain about or can be fixed.

We did find three major issues:
  • Passenger emergency door release did not work
    • Pulling the handle did not do anything and had no resistance. Driver door worked properly.
  • Rear seat folding worked for the left seats, but pulling the switch for the right seats caused all of the seats to fold down.
  • Pulling on the left rear coat hook with a small amount of effort pulled the interior headliner/trim away from the car by an inch or two, allowing me to see the innards of the car.
    • DFC7CAF8-9355-4D8B-BBAE-041064167809_1_105_c.jpeg
The scene at the delivery center was a bit hectic, and the first guy we found to talk to the issues about didn't seem particularly interested. They took the car to look at the issues, but the guy curtly said the headliner issue was normal, and I said if that was considered normal I would have to reject the car. He ran off but we eventually got a much easier to work with employee, and she was very helpful. I told her if they could fix the emergency release on the spot I would take delivery, and she said they were looking at it.

They brought the car back having claimed to have fixed all three issues, but in fact had fixed none of them. However, the service technician was helpful and I demonstrated the problems again and they took the car back again and fixed the emergency release and the folding seats. They set me up with a service appointment to fix the headliner.

I love the car – I've been following the forum and subreddit and youtube and community for so long I think I ruined some of the surprises for myself, and the stress of the delivery being confusing and the quality not being perfect had me a bit worried for the rest of the day.

But the next day we took a drive and most of my worries were erased!

However, we did notice a couple more issues, which I think are relatively minor but quite annoying:

• The mobile charger included with the car seems to be broken. The car cannot seem to lock the charge port (it tries tens of times and then gives up with an error message). I occasionally got it to charge well enough to charge it the first night, but it is quite difficult. I went to two superchargers and did not have any issue charging or locking the charge port there, so I think it is a broken mobile connector.
    • I think the bottom two pins are broken.
    • IMG_5279.jpeg
    • I converted my service appointment at the service center into a sooner mobile service appointment because the charging problem is of course a big issue, and I want to make sure it is not a flaw in the car, because I have a long road trip planned and I do not want to get stranded unable to charge.
  • The Gemini wheel covers quite loudly squeak and creak when driving. It's very noticeable while summoning, and when driving the car slowly. I think they must not be on properly, because just pressing slightly on the wheels with my hand makes the same noise. It is quite loud and weird.
Anyway, that's my experience. This seems to line up with most reports of the Y having a decent number of issues, but still being a great car. Hopefully all this gets resolved. I can post more photos of the panel gaps and such if folks want to see. I am curious what I can do about them if anything.