Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Wipers after Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jonnyk14

Apr 25, 2024
UK
Hi folks,

A while ago someone drove into my parked car in a public car park (2020 Model 3 Performance still under warranty). Initially this was just cosmetic damage, including a cracked driver's side headlight (this is RHD car in the UK). Immediately after the crash, that side headlight and wipers worked fine. A short while after, that side headlight and indicator stopped working. A short while after that, so did the wipers. No spray, no movement, no wiper service mode.

The car is booked into a bodyshop (chosen by my insurer) on the 3rd June for repairs (the earliest they could do). I told them about the wipers too but they didn't seem to think it was related. I'm worried they'll only fix the cosmetic damage and replace the headlights, leaving the wipers as-is.

I did have a mobile Tesla service tech come out to take a look, but he said the wipers issue should not be caused by the accident / a broken headlight. Either way, he wouldn't fix the issue (something about wiring, earths etc) So I've arranged another service visit - for the 10th May.

However there's plenty of evidence online suggesting that a broken left-hand headlight stops the wipers from working. So I'm worried after the bodyshop is done, the wipers still won't work.

I don't have another car and hire cars are expensive. It currently looks my car will be undriveable for quite some time. Also I'm worried Tesla will try and charge me for coming out to fix the wipers because the crash caused them to break.

After reading similar posts on this sort of issue, I disconnected the headlight's electrical connector, but that didn't fix the wipers.

There's a lot to unpick here but I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!