Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery location questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pre-ordered a model Y. I live in NY and there are nearby Tesla sales & service locations in an adjacent county in NJ and one in an adjacent county in NY.

At what point in time in the order / pre-delivery process is the delivery location determined? Is that when the VIN number is assigned to my order or some other time in the process?

The NJ location is a bit closer and more convenient to my home. Are there advantages / disadvantages to taking delivery in my home state (NY) vs. NJ?

Where are current deliveries made? Out here in the SF Bay Area they usually don't (never?) deliver at Service Centers any more. They have designated Delivery Centers that get you in and out quickly. If the Y does really sell as well as it should I could see this coming to more and more states. Delivering dozens of cars a day is very disruptive to a service/showroom location.

Last edited:
Thanks jboy210, I did not know about the Delivery Center concept. I found a list at:

US Tesla Service Centers | Tesla

I my case, the NJ center appears to be a showroom, service center and a delivery center but the nearest NY (my home state) store is not a Delivery Center (and not a service center). The nearest Delivery center in NY (also a store and service center) is more that twice as far as the NJ center. Thus, I hope I can take delivery at the NJ center and that they will deal with NY DMV for me.

Thanks jboy210, I did not know about the Delivery Center concept. I found a list at:

US Tesla Service Centers | Tesla

I my case, the NJ center appears to be a showroom, service center and a delivery center but the nearest NY (my home state) store is not a Delivery Center (and not a service center). The nearest Delivery center in NY (also a store and service center) is more that twice as far as the NJ center. Thus, I hope I can take delivery at the NJ center and that they will deal with NY DMV for me.

Sounds like a reasonable request. You might call the NJ center and see if they can handle that. Never put it past a state to make it difficult to do so something related to another state!

This is 100% true. I’m south of Buffalo, and have to travel 5+ hours for delivery (Mt. Kisco / Westchester facilitates).

I have read the same thing. Plus if you want the state EV tax credit of $2,000 I believe you must get it at one of the NY locations. Unfortunately for me, I live about 4 hrs from the nearest location which is Mt kisko. This is the main reason holding me back from buying a Tesla.

I have read the same thing. Plus if you want the state EV tax credit of $2,000 I believe you must get it at one of the NY locations. Unfortunately for me, I live about 4 hrs from the nearest location which is Mt kisko. This is the main reason holding me back from buying a Tesla.

Judging by your screen name, you’re from Syracuse, that’s not as far from Mt Kisco as I am, I wouldn’t let that discourage you from buying?

Judging by your screen name, you’re from Syracuse, that’s not as far from Mt Kisco as I am, I wouldn’t let that discourage you from buying?

Yes, from Syracuse. Still about 4hrs each way. I would also prefer to be able to at least see one in person and take it for a test drive first. I think I have seen 1 Model S and 1 Model X in person so far and that was with them driving by on the street.

Plus, if I have any issues with the vehicle there aren't any Service Centers in Syracuse.

I have also read horrible reviews of Mt. Kisco.

Just spoke with sales rep at Kierland Commons in Scottsdale AZ who said the AZ delivery center in Tempe no longer existed, and deliveries of Model Ys and other Teslas will now be made at a new location on Raintree Drive in north Scottsdale, near the service center. Yippee for me because it’s less than 5 minutes from my house Now all I need is to actually get a VIN.

Yes, from Syracuse. Still about 4hrs each way. I would also prefer to be able to at least see one in person and take it for a test drive first. I think I have seen 1 Model S and 1 Model X in person so far and that was with them driving by on the street.

Plus, if I have any issues with the vehicle there aren't any Service Centers in Syracuse.

We are in Rochester, NY, there is a service center there, I know it’s not very convenient but if you needed service you wouldn’t have to drive too far. They also have done mobile service on our Tesla now. We had it delivered in Mt. Kisco and it’s was awful!! It took 4 hours to get the car from storage just to sign the papers and leave. Definitely not a pleasant experience but here we are doing it again for the MY. Lol

I opted for home delivery. If the car is messed up, you can refuse if. Not to mention, apparently, the Westchester are has the most cases of this corona with lime disease thing. I’ll save myself the drive and take my chances.
I have been watching the Coronavirus in Westchester, not looking forward to having to pick it up there but if we took home delivery they couldn’t tell me how long and our Carmax trade in would no longer be good if it took more than 30 days and it was $5,000 more than Tesla’s trade in value.

We are in Rochester, NY, there is a service center there, I know it’s not very convenient but if you needed service you wouldn’t have to drive too far. They also have done mobile service on our Tesla now. We had it delivered in Mt. Kisco and it’s was awful!! It took 4 hours to get the car from storage just to sign the papers and leave. Definitely not a pleasant experience but here we are doing it again for the MY. Lol
I also had a bad experience at Mt Kisco when I got my Model 3. It's a long story so I won't recount all the details here other than to say I thought I would be leaving empty handed after a 7 hour trip.

I bought my Model 3 two years ago when there were no service centers within 3 hours from here (Buffalo). But I'm happy to say that I haven't required service for anything. In general, these things are rock solid and don't have much to go wrong. And if anything does happen there is the mobile service to take care of most fixes. So no need to worry about service.

What location determines sales tax and EV rebate/credits?

I live in sales tax free Delaware but no home delivery or delivery center anywhere in the state, only PA & MD 6% each. Will I be charged the 6% in MD or PA - and then need to pay 4.25% "Documentation Fee" to get DE plates?

..... all this begs the question of How am I supposed to take delivery if I am under house arrest because I am a Senior, HP, currently coughing and sneezing [no fever - not even 98.6]???

Smiles,
/Leslie Ann