Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching Marques Brownlee's tour of the Tesla factory from 2018. There was a sign hanging from the ceiling along the assembly line that read, "Excellence is not an act, it's a habit. Quality is everyone's responsibility." With all the quality issues that these cars still have in 2021, I got quite the chuckle out of that sign.
The people in the factory must all suffer from stiff necks LOL

Posting this here from the “sunken hood” thread that is 8 pages long.

I just picked up a 2021 Model 3. Everything is near perfect except my Hood is sunken below the fender on one side and slightly higher then the fender on the other side. This has nothing to do with the front rubber hood mounts that can be adjusted in height. The left back of my hood near the base of the windshield is clearly below the fender. So, it appears the hood hinge was mounted to low. Most people are talking about adjusting the height at the front of the hood. That is super easy. What I'm dealing with here is a more significant problem similar to what others have described on this thread.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is fixable. I want to be cautious about getting Tesla involved because they may just screw it up even more, but I might not have a choice. Again, the rear of the hood is about 1/8 of inch or more below the fender height. It's so bad that you can see when driving the car.

Anyone seen this before and know if the hood hinges are adjustable in height vis a vis the fender?
My hood is identical to yours. Mine is lower than the fender on passenger side, and about level to a tad higher on the drivers side, the two adjustable rubber stops and the adjustability in the frunk latch have no effect on adjustment

^I just have this sinking feeling already about my pickup/inspection this afternoon. Seems like the World is always against me with stuff like this and this car is going to have problems. Just how things go in my life seemingly. Maybe for once I will be amazed, but doubtful. Will report back what I find.

^I just have this sinking feeling already about my pickup/inspection this afternoon. Seems like the World is always against me with stuff like this and this car is going to have problems. Just how things go in my life seemingly. Maybe for once I will be amazed, but doubtful. Will report back what I find.

I think you're probably just seeing maybe a small percentage of people on here talking about issues. I was a little nervous myself but my car was perfect. Didn't break out the micrometer but no gaps, paint issues, door close normally, etc..

My hood is identical to yours. Mine is lower than the fender on passenger side, and about level to a tad higher on the drivers side, the two adjustable rubber stops and the adjustability in the frunk latch have no effect on adjustment
So, did you try to get that fixed? I have to imagine the hood hinges are adjustable in height. I had a friend that got a MY and Tesla even paid to have a body shop align the frunk and fenders.

I believe the trim “delete” on the left trunk is standard to accommodate the power trunk mechanism. Looks worse on some cars depending on how the trunk alignment is.
Yeah but should it look like this where is appears it isn’t there at all??
92574072-E922-4B09-9220-4D2FB1CD2481.jpeg

Yeah but should it look like this where is appears it isn’t there at all??View attachment 678861
So this is super anecdotal, but there's a Tesla sales and service center like 5 minutes from my house so I drop by on occasion to do a personal quality check on the 3s I see in the lot waiting to be delivered. IMO this is misaligned. I see 3s regularly that don't have a gap that big on the left side. Most of them are equal on both sides. If the right side gap is smaller, I say put in a service request.

The lack of rubber trim is normal, but that looks like a very big gap to me. Unless of course the right side is the same, in which case, great!

So this is super anecdotal, but there's a Tesla sales and service center like 5 minutes from my house so I drop by on occasion to do a personal quality check on the 3s I see in the lot waiting to be delivered. IMO this is misaligned. I see 3s regularly that don't have a gap that big on the left side. Most of them are equal on both sides. If the right side gap is smaller, I say put in a service request.

The lack of rubber trim is normal, but that looks like a very big gap to me. Unless of course the right side is the same, in which case, great!
I did submit a request along with my other findings since picking it up, and the service center near me called me and asked for clarification and wanted more pictures and said that they will look at it and that yes it did look a little miss-aligned.

Yeah but should it look like this where is appears it isn’t there at all??View attachment 678861
Yes that looks slightly bigger than mine, gap on both sides for mine is pretty much the same if I were to delete the rubber on the right side I’d have the same size gap both sides. Just a heads up, if they do adjust your trunk keep an eye on where it meets the body on each side, there have been a few posts where something comes loose and it starts rubbing the body and stripping the paint

great choice in colour btw!!

Reactions: wdf2020
Just picked mine up. The rear window gap on the left I think is normal. I saw this because where it meets at the roof line on each side are perfect all the way to the windshield. Maybe there is something to it. I’ve seen a ton of M3 like that with the gap on that left.

Have a minor alignment issue at the bumper where fenders meet. Being real picky though. And the console drivers bolted seat rubs on it where passenger seat has a gap. Maybe the console can be shifted slightly right?

Going to do a request anyway and see what they say for the heck of it. I can live with all of these really minor issues but if fixable will do it.

Got lucky I guess, for once. Loving it.

Reactions: TBrownTX
So, did you try to get that fixed? I have to imagine the hood hinges are adjustable in height. I had a friend that got a MY and Tesla even paid to have a body shop align the frunk and fenders.
Hi,

I have no idea where the exact adjustment needs to be made but I do know if it’s the fenders, that’s open heart surgery, I think it’s the arc in the hood that’s maybe off because all of my fender lines on both sides look great with all of the other parts that the fenders tie into.

For me, the biggest issue is my drivers door jutting out too far at the bottom.

I have a scheduled appointment in a month with Tesla but in the meantime I’m having the body shop that the Ferrari dealer recommended take a look at it, I’m not letting them touch it, I just want their opinion.
This is indeed the first car I’ve bought in my 42 years of buying cars that needs bodywork 😂

• Funny
Yes that looks slightly bigger than mine, gap on both sides for mine is pretty much the same if I were to delete the rubber on the right side I’d have the same size gap both sides. Just a heads up, if they do adjust your trunk keep an eye on where it meets the body on each side, there have been a few posts where something comes loose and it starts rubbing the body and stripping the paint

great choice in colour btw!!
Yeah my gap is pretty much the same on both sides if you get rid of the rubber on the right side as well. Just didn't know that there wasn't any rubber on the left side. Think I might leave it. Just need them to fix the right front fender, and fix/replace the scratched glass on the left rear door window.

Reporting back after a few days of driving, most of these don’t bother me
  • This one annoys me - on the shelf behind rear seats I’m missing one of the 3 hook covers. How does this happen? Are they just going to brush me off if I ask them to send me one lol?
  • Rattle from passenger side when no passenger in seat
  • Passenger door is slightly misaligned at top where it meets the pillar
  • Trunk is slightly off, looks worse than it is because of the trim delete” on the driver side for the power trunk
  • Possible I’ve got the creaky control arm issue… not consistent enough to actally confirm

other than that, been a joy to driver over the last week!​
I've got the rattle in the passenger side as well. I thought it was B-pillar related and the Tesla service guys even thought so as well. But it turns out it its actually the seat so they ordered replacement parts. So I would advise just to take it in and have them fix it. Might be a new issue that is popping up.

I took delivery of my M3 LR today and found a few issues.

1. missing trim/rubber molding around back window and trunk area on left side compared to right
2. the left rear passenger window has some very tiny minor scratches on it
3. there is a panel alignment issue with the right front of the car that the headlight is raised out maybe a quarter of an inch and then the panel is about another quarter of an inch higher than the hood of the car.

they said I have 24 hours to submit anything to service app so hopefully I got everything and hopefully they can fix it all. Will keep looking for issues to add to appointment....fingers crossed that I don't find any.
I also see #1 on my M3 LR yesterday. Did you find out if the missing rubber molding was intentional?

I've got the rattle in the passenger side as well. I thought it was B-pillar related and the Tesla service guys even thought so as well. But it turns out it its actually the seat so they ordered replacement parts. So I would advise just to take it in and have them fix it. Might be a new issue that is popping up.
Thanks for sharing! Do you know specifically what parts they’ve ordered? It’s almost like the seat just needs tightening up, I can literally just put a bit of pressure on when there’s no passenger and it doesn’t rattle but I can feel some sort of vibration through the seat.
If it was in the back it wouldn’t bug me as I learn to live with some rattles in cars, it’s just this one gets right in my ear lol

so they txted me back via the app and setup a service appointment and had me accept a $0 cost estimate since I just got it Sunday, for the repair. Does anyone know how the service drop off works, and what should I expect in terms of how long they will need it to fix it?

Ok so they had my car all day on the 28th . Gave me a p90D model X in bright red as a loaner, not really my type of ride . The service guy tried to hear a rattle I had in the front right area, later they said they needed to order a part. it was the passenger seat making the noise something broke/misaligned? I dont know they ordered it and will call. They aligned my deck lid and the rear passenger light lines up much better. However, you can now see the opener mechanism from the outside like the pics im seeing here. The Wheel Alignment is what took so long they said after alignment the steering wheel was straight but now it was tracking to the left. They got it straightened out by around 3:30 or so and I got the text to come get it. They did remove the alignment charge after I asked about it , seems unnecessary for them to automatically put that there with it being a new car though. All in all it was a good experience hopefully the last for a while.

I took delivery of my M3 LR today and found a few issues.

1. missing trim/rubber molding around back window and trunk area on left side compared to right
2. the left rear passenger window has some very tiny minor scratches on it
3. there is a panel alignment issue with the right front of the car that the headlight is raised out maybe a quarter of an inch and then the panel is about another quarter of an inch higher than the hood of the car.

they said I have 24 hours to submit anything to service app so hopefully I got everything and hopefully they can fix it all. Will keep looking for issues to add to appointment....fingers crossed that I don't find any.
Wdf - can you keep me updated on this issue? This is exactly what I have on my M3 that I just picked up last Friday. I've got a service Appt for July 16 to see if they can fix it. It's quite unsightly as my hood is about 1/4 inch below the right fender. Thanks!

Reactions: wdf2020
Hi!

I wanted to share with you my delivery "adventure" this far:

I accepted the Model 3 2021 delivery some days ago. Car is great and really seems as technologically advanced and futuristic as I have thought!

But, this far in a couple of days I have found 9 issues and I am now wondering should I still cancel the deal (I have a right to cancel for 14 days) and also about this that will everything turn into "within spec" once the 14 days passes!

Issues are mostly panel gap related or other "cosmetic" things, but still in my opinion issues that one would not like to find in a product at this price point.

Car is maybe manufactured around April-May.. I am really wondering how mature the Model 3 2021 version production line has been at this point. It's weird how many issues still end up getting out of the factory in a single vehicle. Anyways.. I would appreciate any thoughts / ideas!