Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door issues won't go away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

What have you all done to resolve issues with your Falcon Wing Doors? I have so many issues with false obstruction detection, where the doors sometimes start opening but abruptly stops halfway and requires override. Other times it beeps three times when pressing the door handle, and requires full override from the main screen. Opening the doors in override mode takes ~30 seconds per door, which is quite unacceptable.

FCD62D6B-3B82-4424-AE60-4642E17E1D5F_1_105_c.jpeg
F60DC1F5-5F75-44EF-B34C-90EF783FD478_1_105_c.jpeg

I have finally taken the time to describe my experience trying to deal with Tesla SC over this, admittedly, intermittent issue. I am really losing my hope that I will ever have a functioning car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

December 30, 2022:
The car was delivered on this date. Model X Plaid, deep blue. On paper this was the perfect car for our family, and it even had USS, which was already scheduled for removal. I was really stoked! I noticed a few cosmetic issues upon delivery, which needed attention.

January 12, 2023:
The mobile service team came to address the cosmetic issues but realized the exterior parts they had were incorrect. They ordered the right parts for a subsequent visit.

January 17, 2023:
During another mobile service visit, the broken trim pieces were replaced. I also reported two additional issues: glue around one of the windows causing wind noise and the first mention of the problem with the falcon wing doors.

February 1, 2023:
The issue with the glue around the window was dismissed as merely cosmetic and not resolved. Additionally, the service team couldn't replicate the issue with the falcon wing doors during their visit.

March 21, 2023:
Problem lost in translation: I explained that the car doors wouldn’t open, mistakenly sensing obstructions. However, the service report stated that the doors didn't detect obstructions at all, and the case was dismissed as “works as intended.”

April 26, 2023:
During a diagnostic session, I brought insights from the Tesla Motor Club forum, suggesting the replacement of specific parts. The technicians agreed to replace the left side sensor and carrier. However, the replacement was delayed due to the unavailability of parts. Interestingly, during this period, the door issue temporarily ceased, possibly due to the warmer weather.

June 13, 2023:
The replacement parts for the April 26 appointment were scheduled to be installed on this day. However, due to the doors functioning correctly at that time, possibly influenced by the weather, and the onset of summer vacation plans, we decided to postpone this service appointment. In retrospect, this decision turned out to be a mistake, as the door issues resurfaced later under different weather conditions.

July 1, 2023:
Just as we were preparing for our vacation, in heavy rain, the doors refused to open entirely. Tesla Service's suggestion to restart the car was futile. They offered another service appointment, but it was too late as our vacation was starting. Throughout our trip, the doors consistently required manual override.

October 3, 2023:
Despite all prior attempts at troubleshooting, the case was closed as the issue couldn't be replicated.

November 22, 2023:
I arrived at the Tesla Service Centre armed with a wealth of evidence — timestamps, photos, videos, and detailed descriptions — showcasing the persistent door sensor issues.

Immediately upon arrival, while I was being signed up for a loaner car, I was informed that the appointment had to be canceled — the reason? They were missing something as trivial as ‘tape’. This was not just an inconvenience; it was a clear indication of poor preparation and disregard for customer time.

December 7, 2023:
This service visit was exceptionally frustrating and disheartening.

Rescheduled for the next available slot, I returned with a glimmer of hope for a 10:30 appointment. This time, I was left without a loaner car, forced to wait in the service centre lounge area. The hours dragged on. I stepped out for lunch, hoping for some progress upon my return. But no, the car hadn't moved an inch. After requesting an update, the staff nonchalantly suggested it should be ready at 16:00. "It said so in the app!"

The climax of this ordeal came in the early afternoon. The supervisor, with a casual demeanor, informed me that they were unlikely to meet the 16:00 deadline and offered a loaner car — too little, too late. My family trip was imminent, and the smaller loaner car wouldn’t suffice. In a desperate attempt, I pleaded for any solution that would get my car ready on time. The response? A technician approached me, only to add to the day's frustrations: they lacked the necessary tools for calibrating the Falcon Wing Doors.

My patience snapped. I expressed my profound disappointment and frustration at how unprofessionally the entire situation was handled. It felt like a culmination of months of unresolved issues, miscommunication, and now, a completely wasted day. In the end, I left the service centre, empty-handed and deeply dissatisfied, my car still unfixed.

December 27, 2023:
My third appointment, scheduled for this day, started with a slight positive note as I was provided a loaner car. However, my car didn’t even make it into the workshop until December 28. Shortly after, I received a call from the service center, claiming the doors were functioning normally and no parts needed replacement. After a lengthy discussion, I convinced the technician to adhere to the original work order and replace the specified parts. Yet, the actual repair didn’t commence until January 3.

They replaced door sensor and carrier in both FWDs. However, the saga continued without resolution.

January 5, 2024:
Frustrated, I reopened the service request, this time including two pictures and a video as undeniable evidence that the door issue was still plaguing my car.

January 9, 2024:
I requested an update on the situation, but was met with silence. The problem, as aggravating as ever, remained unsolved.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan and cwerdna
If the door function changes with temperature, that means it is a mechanical issue. Most likely the motor that moves the door. These motors have the ability to sense objects in the way by physical obstruction with the aid of sensors. If the motor itself is defective or has low tolerance, it would become sensitive and temperature greatly effects its function due to physical expansion or contraction of motor's internal parts.

I suggest to repeatedly open and close the doors from distance for about 5-10 minutes to let the motors and all others mechanical components of the door to wear out including the hinges.

I experienced similar issues with both doors.

Driver side: Mobile service replaced the sensor and I was told that if the issue continued I’d have to take it into the service center where they have a machine that can see what the sensor is seeing and determine the correct fix. Unfortunately, replacing just the sensor did not resolve my issues and I had to take it to the service center where they replaced the sensor, carrier, AND sanded down “ecoat overspray” from the sensor area. This resolved all my issues for the driver side FWD.

Passenger side door: A week after resolving the driver side door I started experiencing false object detection on the passenger side door. I asked them to perform the same service as they did to the driver door but they noted that they replaced the sensor, carrier with adhesives and coupling tape. This actually did resolve all my issues with the passenger side door.

For both doors, thankfully, I was able to provide video evidence from my ring camera when the doors had false detection on my driveway.

Overall, disappointing that I even had to take it into service to correct these issues on a brand new X delivered in June 2023 but I can say I no longer experience false detections. Prior to the fixes I would open the doors and pray they wouldn’t stop prematurely when I had passengers in the vehicle. Now I no longer worry about it as it‘s basically perfect.

If I were you, I’d probably try a different service center (assuming you have another one in your area) and see if you have better luck getting the issues resolved. If they still can’t fix it, I’d personally see if I could get the car lemoned and get a new one as this is not normal.

Attachments

• IMG_3623.png
    IMG_3623.png
    759.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3622.png
    IMG_3622.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 57
I had similar problems with passenger side falcon wing door. First it was small rattle at power struts and then error messages like there would be some obstacle. It would work randomly but mostly I had to force it to open/close. I replaced both main power struts and problem disappeared right away. Same seems to be starting at drivers side back door now. Struts were relatively cheap from Tesla, like 150€/piece.

“Service” at “service centers” is one of the worst experiences of owning a Tesla. Not sure if it was much better years ago but in my experience it has been abysmal lately. Your best bet is to try one more time and leave the car out in cold weather before demonstrating the issues with the hope of reproducing in front of the techs. In parallel I’d look into consumer protection laws in Denmark - in the US there are lemon laws, I suspect there is something similar but better regulated in Denmark. No need to express frustration, corporations don’t understand that language. The people who work at Tesla centers only understand consequences, they ticked their tickets off and you can be displeased or enraged but they don’t care. There’s no brand loyalty culture in the form of service at this company. They only earn it by making cars the masses want and that outweighs all the negatives of owning them in their bottom line for now. You can get them to react (not guaranteed) by a well calculated and factual / evidence based complaint to Danish warranty regulation bodies. Better chance than expressing frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: snorp
Driver side: Mobile service replaced the sensor and I was told that if the issue continued I’d have to take it into the service center where they have a machine that can see what the sensor is seeing and determine the correct fix. Unfortunately, replacing just the sensor did not resolve my issues and I had to take it to the service center where they replaced the sensor, carrier, AND sanded down “ecoat overspray” from the sensor area. This resolved all my issues for the driver side FWD.

Passenger side door: A week after resolving the driver side door I started experiencing false object detection on the passenger side door. I asked them to perform the same service as they did to the driver door but they noted that they replaced the sensor, carrier with adhesives and coupling tape. This actually did resolve all my issues with the passenger side door.
Thank you very much. This was very helpful, and I will certainly share your findings with the SC.

I had the same intermittent issue with our FWD since new. Two service center visits and mobile service change the outward sensor multiple times. In the end a service center finally diagnosed the issue as the inward facing sensor. It was having some kind of electronic issue that was affecting the outward sensor. Has worked perfectly since.

I bought my X in March. Falcon door wouldn’t open while trick or treating. PITA. Took to service and they “fixed” it. Two weeks later, all my cameras went blank and wouldn't work, along with my charge port error message going off non stop. Few weeks later, my 3 kids were trapped in the car because no falcon door would open. I drove it around, parking in different locations. Both doors wouldn’t open. I had to crawl through the console to carry my newborn and then my 20 month old out of their car seats. I was screaming at service on the phone that this was now a safety issue. What if we had been in an accident and I couldn’t get my kids out? I brought it in again and the “fixed” it. A month later, one of the doors wouldn’t open, charge port won’t open.
This visit I demanded they start a lemon law buy back process. On top of the safety risks, I live an hr from service and dont have time to bring this lemon in for service every month. The car isn’t even a year old.
Ingot an email yesterday saying they would repurchase the car.
Super sad. I bought my S 11 years ago and have sold 14 Teslas since then. I’ve been their biggest cheerleader but it feels that the quality and top notch service is a thing of the past.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Dont know what went wrong on the Refresh of 2021 with the FWD sensors. But feel is the original X had problems in 2016 when released but fixed in a year, then pretty good with sensor errors not being a thing. I know my 2020 Raven had 0 problems with the doors.

They closed down production for 10 months to do a simple Refresh with a new interior, steal the heat pump from the 3/y, and dechrome the outside(took 10 months for an update a regular OEM would have done in less than a month).

Somewhere in these months, while hacking off the steering wheel and removing the useful turn stalks and follow distance stalk , they also screwed up the mount of the FWD sensor. Doesn't made sense as they knew how to make reliable FWD sensors. When things don't make sense, I always think 'follow the money'. New mounts or sensors must be cheaper and save Tesla money, just like removing the useful stalks saves them money.

My drivers FWD door on June 2022 built X had to have the sensor tripod and sensor replaced once and then the tripod reattached to the door a second time 5 months later. Second time tech said he cleaned and prepped really well and use as much glue as he could. He said if it happens again, will have to go a body shop to have the inside of the door sandblast to clean off all residue to get to stick. That was 6 months ago and still OK.

In general, really disappointed at the decontenting and cost saving at Tesla on the Refresh. And the removal of USS with HW4 is decontenting, luckily my 2022 still has them, came with 2 FOBs and a mobile charger also. Not anymore. Decontenting was a problem with The Big 3 Detroit auto makers in the 70s and 80s also. New interior is decontented (less useful interface with removal of the few controls left) and FWD sensor mount feels like we are suffering because they made a change to save themselves $$$. Classis decontenting. Of course, this is just a theory, but the Raven series never seemed to have this door problem, so something changed for the worse.

P. S. The interior and controls on our 'new to us' 2019 Audi Etron is SOOO much nicer than the X. It has great things like real turn stalks and follow distance stalk. Massaging seats with fully adjustable side bolsters and leg bostering are Next Level kick butt. And the air suspension doesn't have to default to Low to protect the half shafts so the rear tire wear is normal (OEM tires went 36k miles before original owner replaced.) Don't even get me started on how cool and useful the TRUE, activated matrix headlights are as a safety feature. If the Audi had 100 mile greater range, the X would be gone and not missed at this point.

Last edited:
I had the sensors replaced a second time last week, and so far it has actually worked without any issues *knocks on wood*.

It took 13 months and 12 service center visits. Hopefully, this will be the final one for a while.

I posted this a few days ago on the Dutch section of the forum but I think I will reach more people in this section.... :

Ok... this is the response from Tesla after a 4th (!) attempt to fix the problems on my Falcon wing Doors:

Dear Mr. Van De Sande, We have diagnosed your complaint regarding Falcon doors. All functions are working within expectations. However, we do see reports of objects that are not currently there. This is a known Firmware bug. We will correct this with future updates. Hoping to have informed you with this. Best regards, Tesla Eindhoven

If I read this all refresh X's must (still) have this problem. Because according to Tesla it is a problem in the software...

So please comment if this is the case with others.
Otherwise I will consider playing the 'lemon car' card. I am now just sent away with a non-functioning car.

• Informative
I posted this a few days ago on the Dutch section of the forum but I think I will reach more people in this section.... :

Ok... this is the response from Tesla after a 4th (!) attempt to fix the problems on my Falcon wing Doors:

Dear Mr. Van De Sande, We have diagnosed your complaint regarding Falcon doors. All functions are working within expectations. However, we do see reports of objects that are not currently there. This is a known Firmware bug. We will correct this with future updates. Hoping to have informed you with this. Best regards, Tesla Eindhoven

If I read this all refresh X's must (still) have this problem. Because according to Tesla it is a problem in the software...

So please comment if this is the case with others.
Otherwise I will consider playing the 'lemon car' card. I am now just sent away with a non-functioning car.

They won't fix it. I had the same issue with a November 2022 MX and lemoned it in August 2023 after it spent months at the service center unable to be fixed. I think the falcon doors opened all the way a grand total of 5 times out of 100s of attempts during the 9 months I owned it. The 30 seconds to override the doors with two toddlers was beyond infuriating.