Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the feeling this forum is highly divided in terms of what is "acceptable" in terms of fit and finish. I'm new to this conversation around "finish", but I used to work in automobile manufacturing/HQ. Let me provide my perspectives (which you're welcome to believe or ignore as you see fit).

If your previous vehicle was manufactured sometime after 2010, I think you have certain expectations about what a new automobile should look like in 2021. As such, make sure you request to Tesla what you think you should get for you new purchase. Put Tesla in a position to defend/deny your request. Even if you think they'll eye roll you and be annoyed by you. Ask. It's your money. It's your car. Don't let people with low expectations guilt or shame you down to their level.

Anyone that posts about you being picky isn't spending a penny on your car. You should do what you think is necessary to get the car you think you paid for.

Automakers (likely Tesla as well) now use a combination of handheld and robot mounted lasers to assess in 3D space all gaps, flushness and build tolerance as a car is being assembled. It turns out, making a car quality actually reduces warranty claims and post-purchase costs. So it's wiser to spend the money to make the car good, instead of spending money making back-end fixes and excuses. The key though, is the automaker has to actually have the desire to remedy cars as they're being assembled so they are as close to "perfect" as they can be by the time they reach the end of the line. Tesla clearly just wants to push cars out so fast, they allow some real mingers out the door and likely just stopped giving AF about gap and flushness since they just want cars to leave the factory, and fixing issues slows them down.

The images you showed would be tough to swallow on a $15k econobox. They should be completely aborrent on a $40k to $60k auto.

Anyway, now-a-days, cars have "spec" that is typically 3 to 4 mm on any gap that exists between moving parts. And the tolerance to achieve this gap is usually 0.3 to 0.5mm. For example, FCA's Brampton, Canada plant now has 0.3mm tolerance to spec for major panel gaps and flushness. So if a spec gap is 4mm, then tolerable gap spacing variation is 3.7mm to 4.3mm with 0.6mm flushness variation on the plane. Robots document the spec of all vehicles and real-time adjustments are made to the robots as well as hand-assembly of parts to ensure the cars are finished with good alignment.

But it wasn't always the case. In the mid 2000s, spec was basically measured in batches with low-end tools. But some of the gaps you have on your car wouldn't pass a hand-held gap tool. That's how bad some of your panels and gaps are. But of course, some Tesla owners on this forum don't care about this stuff, so they'll tell you to stop being picky. If you leased the car, then yeah... maybe you shouldn't care too much since this car is a temporal part of your life. But if you plan on owning it 5+ years, you're the one that has to live with the car as it ages and gaps get worse.

Anyway, regarding the 4 images you posted:

1) Roof glass not even between the front/rear roof glass:
I agree this one is not conforming to a reasonable automotive build target. But the problem is such a thing needs to be remedied on the line and not post-delivery. I'm not familiar with how Tesla sunroofs drain, but you should get in writing up front that Tesla believes this is in "spec" and this sunroof should not be prone to leaking. So if your sunroof does leak (water or air), or begins to exhibit some really annoying sounds while driving, you have this issue documented day 1 that Tesla refused to fix it. This documentation is important since if your car develops issues at say 65,000 miles, that you have evidence a condition existed prior to the expiration of your warranty so you can pursue recourse at that time.

2) Passenger side door not even with the front quarter panel/fender:
Assuming you aren't just playing a camera trick with angles/parallax, that one is pretty bad. But of course Tesla could say it's "in spec." But that appears out of spec for any other automaker, even a Dodge or Kia.

3) Bubbled up trim piece on driver side rear door:
This one is tough, I personally think it needs to be fixed since it doesn't look like any interior seal I've ever seen and seems poorly applied. But since so many Tesla's look like this, maybe you just let this one go? Like maybe they all look like this or it's not possible to prevent it from looking like that?

4) Trim piece not connected to anything on the frunk:
That is 100% not right. It's not even an issue about spec. Automakers have hid all fasteners and tabs from view since the 1990s. I mean maybe some cars put fake rivets and bolts as some brash design element, but these types of tabs need to be invisible. Hopefully the fix is easy enough.
Thanks so much for the awesome response! As much as I love the car, these things are really bothersome, so really hope they are able to take care of me. When I was waiting for delivery, it was delayed and one of the SA’s I talked to read the notes and said it was out for “service repairs,” so it makes me wonder if they saw issues with the car and just decided to deliver it anyways to meet the Q2 numbers. Either way, I’m dropping it off on Tuesday and will be ready to make a case for them to make this right.

Reactions: techlogik
Roof glass not even between the front/rear roof glass:

Hard to tell from your photo if what I'm seeing is what you're referring to, but is it even left to right? IIRC the gap between glass and sheetmetal is wider around some pieces of the glass compared to others (the windshield and the other pieces of glass are different widths, for example), and I wouldn't worry about it being that way unless the gap is wider on one side vs. the other. Assuming the roof glass is even left to right, the passenger door one is the only one that'd worry me as it's the hardest to fix "correctly" depending on the exact issue. The trim pieces look to be something either installed properly or not, with no in-between states of "sort of close but still looks wrong"

Hard to tell from your photo if what I'm seeing is what you're referring to, but is it even left to right? IIRC the gap between glass and sheetmetal is wider around some pieces of the glass compared to others (the windshield and the other pieces of glass are different widths, for example), and I wouldn't worry about it being that way unless the gap is wider on one side vs. the other. Assuming the roof glass is even left to right, the passenger door one is the only one that'd worry me as it's the hardest to fix "correctly" depending on the exact issue. The trim pieces look to be something either installed properly or not, with no in-between states of "sort of close but still looks wrong"
Yea, the entire left side is much wider on one side than the other, and then the pic I included was where the front and rear glass meet, showing those aren’t even lined up.

Yea, the entire left side is much wider on one side than the other, and then the pic I included was where the front and rear glass meet, showing those aren’t even lined up.
Got it, yeah that’s an unfortunate problem. Pretty amazing how often they get it wrong considering a robot should be lining these up? My current car also has a windshield that doesn’t line up with the roof piece of glass along the top edge (not a smooth transition between panes of glass if you run a finger from the windshield to the back of the car), but I only noticed it days later after I picked it up. Luckily it doesn’t cause any extra wind noise or anything…

Reactions: greymatter73
Got it, yeah that’s an unfortunate problem. Pretty amazing how often they get it wrong considering a robot should be lining these up? My current car also has a windshield that doesn’t line up with the roof piece of glass along the top edge (not a smooth transition between glass if you run a finger from the windshield to the back of the car), but I only noticed it days later after I picked it up. Luckily it doesn’t cause any extra wind noise or anything…
Yea - as @holeydonut said, for spending close to $60k on a car, we should all expect these to be flawless. I’m fine with a couple hiccups coming out of the factory, but for a car I’ve been waiting for years and years to finally arrive in my driveway with these issues, I’m really bummed. Don’t get me wrong - when I get behind the wheel and drive this thing, all those imperfections are completely forgotten! Just really hope they’re able to make this right. I for sure don’t want to have something on my hands that will affect resale down the road.

Reactions: techlogik
Yea - as @holeydonut said, for spending close to $60k on a car, we should all expect these to be flawless. I’m fine with a couple hiccups coming out of the factory, but for a car I’ve been waiting for years and years to finally arrive in my driveway with these issues, I’m really bummed. Don’t get me wrong - when I get behind the wheel and drive this thing, all those imperfections are completely forgotten! Just really hope they’re able to make this right. I for sure don’t want to have something on my hands that will affect resale down the road.
Yeah, this one was over $80k after taxes! In the end it’s the interior fit and finish that drives me a bit crazy though, I’ll definitely be checking the new one more carefully…

Reactions: greymatter73
Repair estimate? Are they making you pay for the repairs?
No it was all covered under the warranty and free of charge. They fixed the left rear taillight as best as they could, and the right front fender is a lot better and even. Think the headlight is a little pushed in compared to the other side but not really noticeable. The glass that was scratched they had the replacement piece but when they pulled it out to install it they noticed that was also scratched, LOL. So they have scheduled another repair this time a mobile visit to my home to come and fix that.

Reactions: NFPA
No it was all covered under the warranty and free of charge. They fixed the left rear taillight as best as they could, and the right front fender is a lot better and even. Think the headlight is a little pushed in compared to the other side but not really noticeable. The glass that was scratched they had the replacement piece but when they pulled it out to install it they noticed that was also scratched, LOL. So they have scheduled another repair this time a mobile visit to my home to come and fix that.
I think Holeydonut’s extensive and well thought out post on the previous page summed it up well. If Tesla would get their s**t together and fix this quality control stuff on the front-end during production (since they don’t have a traditional dealer PDI), they wouldn’t have to waste so much time, resources and money correcting issues post-customer delivery.

Anyway, had a few minor issues made an appt then be obviously do to the huge push of month and quarter end push they are overloaded at the service center. They cancel my service appt at the dealer literally hours before. Rescheduled me to two weeks. Unreal idiots. They need to hire me for a few million a year plus 1000 stock options every year will straighten this *sugar* show out…haha I’m serious. Elon and the lack of QC and service is a joke for a 50k+ car. Love the car though and mine was pretty cherry with some minor issues.

I'd just like to maybe put some things in perspective here. How many times have you purchased a car "the old way"? I've owned well over 15 cars & RVs in my life and I can tell you that each purchase required more then 3 hours between test drives, talking to annoying sales reps, negotiating with sales reps, waiting for the annoying "let me talk to my manager" multiple times, dealing with finance guy, dealing with the upsell of all the crap they try to get you to buy, dealing with the 1 hour (or more) paperwork guy, etc., etc.

It's been a minimum of 4 hours of my time wasted just to drive off the lot. And that's being generous.

You got your car delivered - to your home. Yes, you had some issues, but those were resolved in the comfort of your own home in a reasonable amount of time. I think the gardener will be ok for this one time.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but honestly, perspective is sometimes helpful.

Enjoy the car...it's amazing.
Bought an X3 for my wife 4 weeks before my Tesla. In and out in about 90 minutes after some negotiating. If you know what you want exactly and know they have it. Easy. And they jumped through hoops and provided great customer services. Know what I didn’t have to worry about? The fit and finish and it needing QC. Same price as my LR. BMW was perfection before it hit the dealer lot out of the factory. Then you have to spend an hour or more QC your car at the dealer. Only to find issues maybe they will fix easy stuff there, but then say make an appt wasting hours an hours of time….

So yeah…not buying this idea you save so much time. If Teslas QC and delivery wasn’t such a *sugar* show maybe I would agree but it isn’t.

Hi all - update on mine. Took delivery June 30th. SR+ in midnight silver. The only external issue I found was the driver's side headlight protruded more from the body than the passenger side. A follow up service appointment fixed it in an hour - it needed to be removed and reseated correctly. No other major issues. Panels are fine, paint is great, door handles in back are slightly more inset than the front doors, but they are even and it's probably 1mm (well within spec). Oh and of course Sentry mode doesn't work, but dashcam does and records, so...software.... loving it so far!

Hi all - update on mine. Took delivery June 30th. SR+ in midnight silver. The only external issue I found was the driver's side headlight protruded more from the body than the passenger side. A follow up service appointment fixed it in an hour - it needed to be removed and reseated correctly. No other major issues. Panels are fine, paint is great, door handles in back are slightly more inset than the front doors, but they are even and it's probably 1mm (well within spec). Oh and of course Sentry mode doesn't work, but dashcam does and records, so...software.... loving it so far!
Sentry mode with the latest update is working fine now. I took my USB stick, created two partitions, one for music and one for dashcam...works fine after inserting. Check for the latest updates and early release option....should work.

Thanks so much for the awesome response! As much as I love the car, these things are really bothersome, so really hope they are able to take care of me. When I was waiting for delivery, it was delayed and one of the SA’s I talked to read the notes and said it was out for “service repairs,” so it makes me wonder if they saw issues with the car and just decided to deliver it anyways to meet the Q2 numbers. Either way, I’m dropping it off on Tuesday and will be ready to make a case for them to make this right.
Well, my car spent the day at the SC. Just got a notification that the car is done but I can’t pick it up until tomorrow morning. I looked at the invoice, and, what do you know? The roof glass is all within spec. The passenger door gap is within spec. The only things that they fixed were the doo rhandle that was sunk in a little bit, a smudge on the headliner, and fhe bubbled trim piece on the rear driver side door.

What strikes me as odd, is the roof glass. I noticed when I dropped it off this morning that the roof was dusty. Because of the dust, I saw that someone had put a piece of tape right where I took a picture of the glass being misaligned. So, this appears to have been something that they had caught before me getting the car delivered.

Well, my car spent the day at the SC. Just got a notification that the car is done but I can’t pick it up until tomorrow morning. I looked at the invoice, and, what do you know? The roof glass is all within spec. The passenger door gap is within spec. The only things that they fixed were the doo rhandle that was sunk in a little bit, a smudge on the headliner, and fhe bubbled trim piece on the rear driver side door.

What strikes me as odd, is the roof glass. I noticed when I dropped it off this morning that the roof was dusty. Because of the dust, I saw that someone had put a piece of tape right where I took a picture of the glass being misaligned. So, this appears to have been something that they had caught before me getting the car delivered.

I guess it's good they fixed some of it (I'm trying to look at the silver lining hah). It's interesting they fixed the bubbling rubbery trim piece on the driver side rear door. Other members here said Tesla thought that piece was unfixable. Did they fix the 4th picture you posted (the part with the visible tabs near the Frunk)?

TBH, I don't think someone could fix your sunroof gap now without causing more harm than good. They need to catch that stuff at the factory.

I guess it's good they fixed some of it (I'm trying to look at the silver lining hah). It's interesting they fixed the bubbling rubbery trim piece on the driver side rear door. Other members here said Tesla thought that piece was unfixable. Did they fix the 4th picture you posted (the part with the visible tabs near the Frunk)?

TBH, I don't think someone could fix your sunroof gap now without causing more harm than good. They need to catch that stuff at the factory.
I have been told that the frunk piece has been reattached, but will find out when I pick it up in a few hours. I was wondering how they’d address the roof glass, but didn’t think they’d just say it was within spec, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯…

On the bubbled up trim piece - the invoice said, “Properly Re seated drivers side rear trim,” so will see how it looks when I get there… Oh - they also said they adjusted the sunken in door handle on the back drivers side door… now I’m hoping it’s not more flush than the rest of them!

I’m chalking this whole experience up as a lesson learned for the next time I buy a Tesla (unless the competition is better in the future) in making sure I take delivery at the dealership and take my time inspecting the car and not accepting it if it has as many issues as what I found on mine. Beyond all this, they really are just millimeters of adjustments and don’t affect the performance or appearance (for the most part) of the car.

Thanks for posting this. The grey one looks great and most that I've looked at look like that. Please report back on what they say. If they won't fix it, others in this thread might consider rejecting delivery over this issue if they see it. Once you see a correct alignment the big left gap really stands out
True, once you see another aligned, you are like what?!?! But, all the other gaps, places the glass fits, where it meets the top glass all the way to the windshield, and including the gaps to the pillar/roof line are all even. So...no idea what their fix/if any will be. Honestly, I'm usually bothered by this stuff, but if they just fit the sunken rear passenger door handle, the front bumper protruding up at the gap by the headlight, and the dented passenger lower side speaker grill, I think that is good. Otherwise, the rest of the car has been really good and livable.

Will report back on what they say...they last minute canceled my service appt last Friday and moved it 2 weeks later. Obviously, big push to get cars in the hands of customers and delivered at quarter end has now backed up the service department.

These yahoos need to get the QC right from the factory, then the service department wouldn't be overloaded with all this nonsense and issues.

Shall see.

So, as I was putting on some ceramic coat on my car today, I noticed another spot that wasn’t properly attached/finished on delivery. On the air intake on the very front end, the black plastic and white car color don’t match up, with a large gap and obvious white plastic clips that should obviously be hidden under, holding the two together. The drivers side is the issue while the passenger side is completely flush and even.

So, I took pics and submitted a service visit. Will this be covered under warranty, as it’s very obvious that it’s a manufacture issue and not something I ever could have caused? I know there’s stress on the first 24 hours/100 miles to report issues, but I’m going to pitch a fit if they try to charge me to fix a defect/warranty item.

Thoughts?

Bought an X3 for my wife 4 weeks before my Tesla. In and out in about 90 minutes after some negotiating. If you know what you want exactly and know they have it. Easy. And they jumped through hoops and provided great customer services. Know what I didn’t have to worry about? The fit and finish and it needing QC. Same price as my LR. BMW was perfection before it hit the dealer lot out of the factory. Then you have to spend an hour or more QC your car at the dealer. Only to find issues maybe they will fix easy stuff there, but then say make an appt wasting hours an hours of time….

So yeah…not buying this idea you save so much time. If Teslas QC and delivery wasn’t such a *sugar* show maybe I would agree but it isn’t.

In and out of a car dealership in 90 minutes is way outside the norm.

Facts yo: https://www.cars.com/articles/buying-a-car-takes-more-time-at-the-dealer-1420663300693/

Not making excuses for lack of QC, but one can't argue that dealerships are not outdated and slow.

Tim

Last edited:
I had a delivery SNAFU, and wondered if this had happened to others: M3 DELIVERED TO DRIVEWAY, LOCKED, and phone didn't register to allow key access
The car was blocking the truck for our gardening helper who was parked in the driveway, and the M3 couldn't be moved.

How often does this happen?

My delivery was scheduled TO MY HOME---which I thought was awesome, and which I was attributing to living close to Fremont, CA. I felt that I was lucky In the timing, as we had two trips during the projected delivery frame, and ultimately, the M3 was scheduled to be delivered in the 2 days we were home between trips. So far, so good.
The actual delivery included good communication--letting me know when it would arrive, etc. I didn't see the car pull into the driveway, but the gentleman who helps tend our garden beds did, so he let me know. I talked with the delivery guy, who told me that the paperwork and keys were in the car, which was locked.
Again, so far, seemed OK.
THEN, the delivery guy said he was unable to log in to indicate that the car was delivered, but never fear, he would do that asap. Once he had done that, all I would need to do was to login online and accept delivery, and then my phone would be activated as a key. OKAY.......not perfect, but acceptable.
HOWEVER, once I had logged in and accepted delivery, the app stated: PRODUCT NOT FOUND.
SO--Car blocking driveway, locked, blocking gardener's truck, and no way to open the door.

Several phone calls later--to the Tesla sales associate, and to the delivery guy--they were able to unlock the care remotely, and I was able to move the car to let the gardener get out of the driveway---all of this taking ~1 hour. I was informed that "eventually", "soon", the phone would recognize the delivery and be able to recognize the car. I was told, "this is something that happens".

It was approximately 2-3 h later that my phone finally stopped saying PRODUCT NOT FOUND, my M3 was recognized, and I was able to set it up at a key.

So, my question: How often does this happen?---it was quite a lot of anxiety frustration, and worry.
I'm Happy with my M3--RED, but not with the delivery.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the delivery guy pulled it into your driveway behind another vehicle, got out and locked it with the key cards inside? Am I missing something?