Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y with paint bubble or rust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently took delivery of black Model Y and it has a 2-3 inch long paint bubble/rust on the door. The section feels soft and seems like paint would chip off with a pressure washer. This is my second Tesla and I am familiar with the quality issues.

I did my due diligence to check for anything major before I hit the "accept" button on the app(Tesla does not even unlock the door). I checked for large gaps between panels, door, trunk and bumpers. I wasn't being picky but looked for something major. The car was in the shade and has a black paint. The paint bubble/rush spot is on the lowest section of rear door. I missed it and regret it deeply.

I visited the Tesla delivery center very next morning and brought it to their attention. We mentioned we are very disappointed that Tesla had missed this. This particular model Y was immediately available when I ordered. Perhaps, someone had rejected it before it was handed to me. Tesla's sale rep had denied it but I disagree. I have a service appoint with the bodyshop on following Monday.

Tesla service lead mentioned that there is Tesla dedicated bodyshop in Orange County. Most likely, this car would have to sanded and repainted. I am not sure how good they are, but new paint needs to blend in with the front door and quarter panel. Overall, we are very disappointed and got stuck with a car should have been rejected from the factory. Once again, we were not looking for the perfect model Y. However, this sucks deeply and regret that I had to pay extra $2,000 for a piss-poor paint job.

tempImageInnXMA.jpg
tempImageUOjqK2.jpg
tempImageckzYQr.jpg

I have seen a lot (and a lot lot) of "paint" threads here over the years, but this is one of the worst I have seen. Normally, people need to circle where they see the issue to point it out, but thats not the case here.

I hope the body shop makes this right for you, but man, when people say "this is inexcusable" THIS fits that description to me.

Brought the car back a week ago, and finally had a chance to inspect the paint under my garage's LED lights, and boy, was I surprised. I found dozens of paint imperfections (small divots, dots, etc) through all the body panels, but particularly on the hood and rear hatch.

Did anyone else have this experience? Is this common?

I have seen a lot (and a lot lot) of "paint" threads here over the years, but this is one of the worst I have seen. Normally, people need to circle where they see the issue to point it out, but thats not the case here.

I hope the body shop makes this right for you, but man, when people say "this is inexcusable" THIS fits that description to me.
That's why no paint is the best paint.

Brought her home last week, and under LED lights at home I was appalled to find dozens of paint defects throughout all major panels on the car. I can’t upload videos here apparently but I tweeted it.

Anybody else experience this? A technicians was here addressing a different issue and even he said it was the worst he’s ever seen and told me to take it into the shop.

Brought her home last week, and under LED lights at home I was appalled to find dozens of paint defects throughout all major panels on the car. I can’t upload videos here apparently but I tweeted it.

Anybody else experience this? A technicians was here addressing a different issue and even he said it was the worst he’s ever seen and told me to take it into the shop.
What happened to your tweet? Did X delete it? I saw it last week but its deleted.

I used to get bent over this stuff too, thinking piss poor paint and Tesla's quality control was unacceptable
Until I came to the realization: Accept the Mediocre.
Then this calm came over me knowing that when I set the bar for expectations low enough this time around
Tesla might meet them.

Looking forward to my new Y.

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of black Model Y and it has a 2-3 inch long paint bubble/rust on the door. The section feels soft and seems like paint would chip off with a pressure washer. This is my second Tesla and I am familiar with the quality issues.

I did my due diligence to check for anything major before I hit the "accept" button on the app(Tesla does not even unlock the door). I checked for large gaps between panels, door, trunk and bumpers. I wasn't being picky but looked for something major. The car was in the shade and has a black paint. The paint bubble/rush spot is on the lowest section of rear door. I missed it and regret it deeply.

I visited the Tesla delivery center very next morning and brought it to their attention. We mentioned we are very disappointed that Tesla had missed this. This particular model Y was immediately available when I ordered. Perhaps, someone had rejected it before it was handed to me. Tesla's sale rep had denied it but I disagree. I have a service appoint with the bodyshop on following Monday.

Tesla service lead mentioned that there is Tesla dedicated bodyshop in Orange County. Most likely, this car would have to sanded and repainted. I am not sure how good they are, but new paint needs to blend in with the front door and quarter panel. Overall, we are very disappointed and got stuck with a car should have been rejected from the factory. Once again, we were not looking for the perfect model Y. However, this sucks deeply and regret that I had to pay extra $2,000 for a piss-poor paint job.

View attachment 991218View attachment 991219View attachment 991220
I don’t think that’s rust, aren’t the doors aluminum? But holly crap that’s ugly and needs to be repaired. Looks like some kind of goop to me. Looks like a hole is cut in the door and patched from behind? If that’s the case you should hold out for a new door.

What ever it is you win the March 2024 award for something ugly coming out of the factory. Pretty sure you’ll be in the finals at year end too.

My brand new model y had rust on the wheel rotors. Pics taken on the day of delivery.
Assume this is your first car. That is unpainted steel, they rust on all vehicles. Two ways to avoid rust, eliminate all moisture or eliminate oxygen. Either way, no one would be alive to complain about unpainted steel rusting.

By the way, that’s not a rotor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telsa2024