Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demystifying Model Y Wheel Size Requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still contemplating replacing the 21 Uberturbines on my MYP with some 20" wheels for a number of reasons (ride quality, replacement tire cost, breadth of tire choices, ability to rotate tires). I'm having some trouble identifying which wheels are actually compatible with the Model Y. What parameters do I have to satisfy to ensure that the wheel will fit?

My confusion stems from the fact that most wheel/tire websites give me very few options when searching by model. If I select MYP vs MYLR, I get different choices, even though the wheels are interchangeable to my understanding (as long as you have appropriately sized tires, obviously). Furthermore, if I search by size, the websites will often insist that my wheel choice is incompatible with MY, despite having exactly the same size specifications and bolt pattern as the factory wheels.

Take these wheels for example. Tire Rack insists that they are incompatible with MY, even though they are 20x8.5 with a 45mm offset and 5x114 bolt pattern, which is the same as many other "compatible" wheels.

What am I missing?

Reactions: robeeen
It could be the wheel's centre bore size. If it's smaller than Tesla's wheel hub (64.1mm?) this wheel won't be compatible.
If it's larger you can get an adapter.

Also another factor which I don't have a clear answer to is the wheel's load rating.
MYP especially is a heavy car. Just its rear axle is rated at 3500lbs.
Most of aftermarket wheels I check out usually has load rating 1500 to 1600lbs which is far below vehicles requirement.
I know there are some folks go with such wheels on their MYPs. But I don't know if this will cause an issue down the road especially when you are towing.
So my search for a nice set of aftermarket wheels is paused for now until I have a clear answer to the load rating.