Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Departure Charge Scheduling is Flaky Sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the departure schedule option for home charging, set to have the car finished at 5:15am (no, I don't leave that early, that just seems to avoid most of the issues below). Most of the time the car manages to start charging in time to be done when I leave, usually around 7am but sometimes it either never starts charging at all or starts very late like it did today, starting at 6:15am.

I can understand that it may struggle to properly estimate the charging time needed based on a bunch of variables like ambient temperature, starting SOC, and potential variation in grid voltage but anyone have any idea why it sometimes completely fails to charge or starts well AFTER it is programmed to be finished? Any suggestions on how to nudge it back into better performance?

Make sure you don't have a Peak Rate cutoff time programmed, like 6AM. If this is set, the charge will stop at 6AM -- sometimes charging fully and sometimes not.
Departure charging only seems to work WITH off-peak charging turned on. When I turn it off, the car immediately starts charging unless I switch to scheduled charging and departure scheduling seems to no longer be an option.
Plus, the off-peak end time I entered is 7am and when it miscalculates the start time and isn't done charging at my departure time, it frequently keeps charging well past 7am if needed.

I’ve personally never had an issue. What exactly is your set departure time and off peak end time? You listed both 5:15 and 7:00. I have mine set to the same so there’s no confusion.

Make sure if anyone else has your car in their Tesla app that they have identical settings and you’re not using or have used any third party apps/services to control charging.

Lastly double check your charging equipment and especially during and towards the end of the charge to make sure it’s not overheating. The only times it kept charging past my set departure time is when my EVSEwas failing, causing it to overheat and cut down the amperage.

Assuming you have added the Gen 3 Wall Connector as a Product to your app, Select the down arrow in upper left next to Tesla, My Home, Settings, Vehicle Charging, Wall Connector Schedule. This overrides both the App Departure Time and the in car charging setup configuration. In my case, the car would always stop charging at 6AM even if I set a departure time of 8AM. Note it says this "may conflict with your Vehicle settings."

1719455457102.png