Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

depreciation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a fun car to drive around for less than a year. The Tesla is not the ultimate EV I want to buy. I want the Mercedes EQS.

However, with COVID I hate going to the petrol station so it would be nice to have an extra car in the garage for a few months which is an EV

Usually I buy used cars when I want a short term car, because you can usually get in and out of a used car without too much depreciation over 6 months. However used Model Y's on Autotrader are listed for more than new. So it seems it is better to buy new. The question is how will the resale fare by the summer?

There were resale arbitrage opportunities with the Model 3 because the rollout was slower initially. I doubt how realistic it would be for the Model Y to be without depreciation for very long. As we've seen with the Model 3, the depreciation starts in earnest when the next BIG thing comes available. That probably won't happen before summer with the Y.

Other thing is a recommendation to buy the cheapest/lowest cost car if your wish is to minimize depreciation. Unfortunately it won't be as fun.

Thought about scratching your itch with Turo?

I'm looking for a fun car to drive around for less than a year. The Tesla is not the ultimate EV I want to buy. I want the Mercedes EQS.

However, with COVID I hate going to the petrol station so it would be nice to have an extra car in the garage for a few months which is an EV

Usually I buy used cars when I want a short term car, because you can usually get in and out of a used car without too much depreciation over 6 months. However used Model Y's on Autotrader are listed for more than new. So it seems it is better to buy new. The question is how will the resale fare by the summer?
A Model 3 (either the Long Range Dual Motor or the Performance) would be more fun to drive than the Model Y. The Model 3 is almost 400 lbs lighter than the Model Y, like two extra adult passengers. The Model Y has more room, easier entry and egress and a higher driver seating position. You will find a better selection of 2018 and 2019 Model 3.

Last edited:
A Model 3 (either the Long Range Dual Motor or the Performance) would be more fun to drive than the Model Y. The Model 3 is almost 400 lbs lighter than the Model Y, like two extra adult passengers. The Model Y has more room, easier entry and egress and a higher driver seating position. You will find a better selection of 2018 and 2019 Model 3.

great idea. I will look into it