Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Flaw Paint Damage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a bit of a design flaw with the Model Y as delivered. The rear door panels are part of a flare out near the rear wheel wells. The result is damage on the paint due to debris being constantly thrown on it from the front wheels, especially in the winter. Tesla has started selling a PPF kit to address this issue. Really should be a factory install. Would recommend everyone get it asap. We had quite a bit of damage before we noticed it. For folks in the Toronto area, Ceramic Pro Vaughan is offering a free install as per the pic. Bit hard to see, but does the job nicely. They supplied the PPF.

Attachments

• 20210120_162900.jpg
    20210120_162900.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 179
With the warmer weather, I just had a closer look at the inside rear fenders on my 9-month old MY and it looks like they have been sandblasted (which they probably were)! Hundreds of small white flecks in the blue paint is the primer showing through, and several larger chips right down to the bare metal, on both sides. Within a week of picking up the car last summer, I had 2 small square chips down to bare metal on the front hood, about 1 inch apart, and don’t recall anything hitting the hood. It almost seems as if the paint is more fragile than on other cars I have owned.

The Tesla PPF kit for the MY was out of stock last month but is in stock now, and I have one on order (although it won’t help with the current damage).

I completely agree on the paint quality. Even with ceramic coating, the paint chips very easily. The only other time I saw this was with an aftermarket paint job where the shop did not apply the proper base coat. They had to repaint the whole area again.

Mine also had some significant damage with just over 5,000 miles and much of that in winter snow and gravel on snow. I put on the aftermarket mud flaps as soon as I could get them and replaced the fronts with Tesla ones when I could get them. What I would like is some durable black PPF trim strips that would provide more coverage than the Tesla PPF, from the door crease to the rocker panel and from the rear to a wrap around the front edge of all four doors. Does anyone Know of a product anything like that? I paid an extra $2,500 for this paint and it does not last even the first year. By 8 years the paint will be totally gone and the panels may rust through. ; (
2020 MY right door chips.jpg

MY right door edge chips.jpg
2020 MY left door chips.jpg