Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

did anyone get blasted by bach tocata on entry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in 2 years of ownership, never had anything like this happen.

today, went to enter my car in the AM to go to work and had the usual fight with it not seeing my BLE, so turned off ble on the phone and then back on. walked back to the rear of the car where the antenna seems to pickup the best, click on the trunk - ok, finally, it sees me. close the trunk, walk to the front of the car and get in. it lets me in. but then I'm greeted with FULL VOLUME of some music that I never selected. I recognized it as bach toccata/fugue (you know, the pipe organ piece that goes down to really low notes).

what's' going on?? I could lower the volume but not stop it or pause it. is this some easter egg? I'm on the old old software - is this their idea of a joke, or something?

I tried to select a radio station. no dice; I could lower volume but NOT abort the absurd bach torture, (look, if they want to play this game, at least choose the lovely lovely ludwig van...)

eventually the music stopped, a minute or so later into the drive and I could then actually choose a radio station and have control again.

what the holy hell is going on?

I really dont think I pressed down too many times on something, but maybe I did. what the hell happened?

and WHY does this to see the light of day to the public?

note, I have not updated the car in over a year, now. maybe 1.5 years. long before the xmas 2020 update. I refuse all the nags. they nag when I get in, I tell them to shut up and then all is fine. but this time, loud bach.

"who asked for THIS?"

I don't think that's an easter egg. I think that is the car alarm going off. It thought you had a breakin.

That's the scenario that it plays when people break into the car. It's a little goofy, (Tesla, right?) but might as well play Toccata instead of alarms. There was a study long back that said classical music was a better deterrent to criminals than alarms.

No idea why it would go off for normal use, but I think it thought you were an intruder.

I see this all the time with my car too. No one except me seems to care, but my car is always doing freakball one-off stuff like this. Partly that's because I'm a software guy and I notice anomalies. It's not reliable.

You add a good tidbit I wondered about- is it new software, or just crappy software. Since you've not updated since before xmas 2020, that means it's just crappy software. Which is a bummer, as I'm holding off right now avoiding xmas 2021.

Reactions: Sporty and MP3Mike
You set off the car alarm. My previous model S has done it a few times where I walk up to the back of the car with groceries, fob in my pocket. I open the trunk, it opens for me, I put groceries in, and some heavy item like a case of water, when I drop it in the hatch, sets off the alarm and it goes nuts. For some reason unlocking by opening the trunk doesn’t disable sentry so it’s unlocked but still armed. Next time instead of going to the back and opening the trunk, just push your door handle to trigger the car to look for your phone or fob. It should wake up and unlock.

oh man, in 2 years this finally happened?

and, uhm, if you can just wait it out and turn down the volume, what was the point?

I wonder what triggered it?

again, I do not do updates, so this was not due to *anything*.

freaking weird!

sorry to keep saying this, but this is absolutely my last tesla. complete loss of faith in their QA and their direction they are going.

I like the torque of the car. its quick. the lane keeping is pretty good but you have to keep it on a leash and can't just let it handle all things it wants. the SC network is great (although having a good 10-20% broken bays really has bad optics). pretty much all else, tesla the company and the car, I'm highly unimpressed with.

I've seen the down side of OTA updates. I'm hoping that other vendors have a more restrained, tested and controlled approach.

and not being able to get in, reliably, and then have it yell at you when you finally do - that's just broken beyond belief. I'm constantly fighting with the car for walk-up entry using my phone. if someone was chasing me, I'd be dead 100 times by now. not kidding. THAT is a safety risk. not being able to get in fast - show-stopper right there.

Sorry you’re having trouble with using your phone as a key. You could consider getting a fob, or figuring out what’s different in your phone configuration that’s making it so unreliable, or I guess picking a different car next.

There are a lot of quirks that come with Teslas - they aren’t for everybody yet unfortunately.

Any software company has to balance getting updates out in a timely manner against making them perfect and it is really - hard- to get them perfect because there are many permutations of hardware and software configurations and complex use cases to support. It's not just Tesla - other software companies such as IBM and M$ all face that same dilemma and unfortunately that means that issues will come up occasionally. If people here weren't so busy complaining about v11 they would still be complaining about not getting updates like they were before v11. In any case, you are hardly in a position to complain if you refuse to install updates completely since you have no way of knowing whether one of them would have fixed the issue that you encountered.