Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I miss something regarding stop mode changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember seeing something about stopping mode in my demo drive but it is missing in my 24 MY LR. I was in park mode and unable to find this option even though it is in the manual. Did I miss any news about this?

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

I have mine set to Hold. But during my drive on FSD one time it rolled back after a stop. It was very strange and unexpected. The car had abruptly stopped at a yield sign and I have to step on the brake because it started to roll back and there was a car behind me. So stopping mode I guess isn't taken into account when it's the computer driving. Strange.

My wife found the full stop “hold” mode very aggressive and asked about turning down the regen.
Mine did as well. On my old car she had it set to Creep and I had a S3XY button set to toggle the regen levels. But then someone hit her and totaled the car. The new one doesn't have it. I have not yet explored whether the buttons can enable these as "hidden" modes.

Super frustrating that these were removed. I much prefer roll so that it can free roll for slow maneuvering like a normal car. Between hold being the only option, no stalks and shifting on the screen they are really making people moving into a tesla make a huge jump, and disappointing current tesla owners that like what they have.

Reactions: smogne41
Super frustrating that these were removed.
Yes! I still have my 2014 Chevy Volt, and have driven it recently after driving my 2024 MYLR for a little less than a month. The Volt is so much nicer to drive. Creeping out of a parking spot is safer than having to accelerate out, because your foot is already on the critical pedal, the brake.

Tesla seems to want to be weird just for the sake of being weird. Adjusting the steering wheel via the touch screen??

When slowing, the Volt has infinitely adjustable regen, via the brake pedal, and it is reassuring to know that if I need to stop short, I can do so without having to switch pedals. Disengaging cruise control is so much smoother on the Volt... hit cancel, and it just coasts, rather than suddenly slowing.

I've thought that I would just get used to the odd ergonomics of the Tesla, and to an extent, I have. But still, driving smoothly requires more effort than it does on a more normal car. In fact...

I have a plug-in hybrid microcar that I designed and built 15 years ago, and it feels more normal and safer than the Tesla. Instruments are where you'd expect them to be, rather than off to the side. The accelerator makes the car accelerate. The brake pedal makes it slow down. Simple, intuitive, and feels like driving a Volvo or Mercedes, instead of a golf cart. Ironic, it seems, that this little car "built in a barn" feels more modern and functional that the Tesla, which drives like a 70's era golf cart.

Tesla seems to want to be weird just for the sake of being weird.
>>Begin rant

I've been looking at small display screens to fit behind the steering wheel, so I can easily see my speed, selected gear, remaining charge, and a couple other things that can be seen in that general position in any other car. In my brand new Tesla, I have to customize it just to bring it up to standard ergonomics.

I've been wondering why I often set the turn signals again when I've already set them on the Tesla. I realized it's because I get no tactile feedback from the control lever, because it returns to center. In every other car I've owned, the lever position provides tactile feedback of a nature that requires near zero thought -- it's muscle memory: brush a finger across the lever, and you know the correct signal has been made.

I have had many cars through the years, and never felt the need to join an online group about any of them. The Tesla has some good features, notably long range, the ability to tow a boat, and the supercharger network. But it is all the peculiarities that bring me here: how do I fix this... what is the work around for that... do other Teslas brake for no reason, or steer into the path of an overtaking truck? Are others bothered by the feeling of steering through day old oatmeal?

>> Rant over.