Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you take your car in for service?

Did you take your vehicle in for a defect, failure, or build quality issue?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
PLEASE ANSWER ONLY ONE OF THE ABOVE:
  • Only one vote per vehicle.
  • Interested in your experience if you had issues driving it.

I'd want to exclude simple cosmetic build quality issue from this survey. Items such as poor assembly that does not impact functioning of the vehicle would go under the 2nd Yes category.

Examples:
I.e. a poorly installed steering wheel leather would not be a drivebility concern. A poorly installed weather seal that leaks water into car would be a driving concern. Hairline cracks on your glass, would be cosmetic, a completely destroyed glass would be a driving concern. Etc.

This question is aimed to see how many people have had real issues. Online customer reviews tend to highlight people who have issues, so lets get a real poll going. Based on consumer reports testing, the Model X was among the least reliable vehicle. I don't think the Model 3 is that bad other than for paint/cosmetic issues as there will likely be over 100k on the road by the end of the year.

Don't really like your options. It wasn't a cosmetic concern however it wasn't a driving concern either.

The 2 issues I had was phantom touch issues and charge port door not opening when pushed. The other issue I didn't even know I had was the driver air bag. Not sure what was wrong with it just got a text from Tesla asking for me to bring my car in for it to be replaced, that was the reason I finally took it in for the other 2 issues.

Don't really like your options. It wasn't a cosmetic concern however it wasn't a driving concern either.

The 2 issues I had was phantom touch issues and charge port door not opening when pushed. The other issue I didn't even know I had was the driver air bag. Not sure what was wrong with it just got a text from Tesla asking for me to bring my car in for it to be replaced, that was the reason I finally took it in for the other 2 issues.

I've added a 4th poll option if you feel it was still in between option 1 and 2, as you expressed in your post. The front air-bag issue is relatively concerning IMO (I would consider classifying this under #1 option), but then again so were 42 million cars with Takata air bags. At least they fixed it ASAP.

Both of my service calls were handled by Tesla Mobile Service (converted Model S):

* Had trunk garnish installed since I had a pre 17k VIN

* Chargeport Door was replaced due to random opening and closing

Mobile Service was awesome as expected
9FBB1ED1-9328-44EE-8D5C-68DC7516087B.jpeg CE3CEF4C-7714-4D46-A655-62D155625268.jpeg

I took mine in because Enhanced Autopilot was not enabled (no options screen) even though it was paid for and listed on my purchase agreement. I initially contacted Tesla via the web form but after two days with no reply I stopped by the Fremont service center. They of course didn't need to touch the car, merely took my VIN#, told me it would become enabled in about two hours and sent me on my way. Meanwhile I received an email in response to the initial contact form which started a back and forth exchange with an out-of-state Tesla rep who could only confirm that Enhanced Autopilot was not enabled for me but couldn't do anything about it.

About two hours later, moments after parking, my screen went black and when it came back a minute or so later, I had Enhanced Autopilot.

I've been thinking I should go test my 0-60 time now too, to make sure my Performance version is actually enabled too. :)

I've been thinking I should go test my 0-60 time now too, to make sure my Performance version is actually enabled too. :)

LoL, you can also check vehicle by clicking the Tesla Icon at the top notification bar I think.... I have over 400 posts and I've only been in actual Tesla's for less than 30 minutes.....can you tell the Tesla obsession is real?

Reactions: Ejl80
Both of my service calls were handled by Tesla Mobile Service (converted Model S):

* Had trunk garnish installed since I had a pre 17k VIN

* Chargeport Door was replaced due to random opening and closing

Mobile Service was awesome as expected
View attachment 332950 View attachment 332951
Nifty conversion kit they have. To others, is this what ranger vehicles normally look like? This specific white, colour, too, or do they seem to come in whatever factory colour the vehicle was originally?

I went into my delivery with the expectation that my inspection would dictate whether I accepted the car or if I would walk away. Where walking away meant getting my deposit back, and simply keeping my 2015 Model S that I've been perfectly happy with.

Of my group I was the only one doing it this way. Everyone else was signing first, and then inspecting second.

One coupe with kids barely inspected the car at all. They loaded up the car seats, and off they went.

There was an asian couple that was almost as picky as me. They had some paint they wanted reworked, but aside from that it was fine. That helped so I didn't feel like I was being overly picky.

I didn't have any major paint things aside from some things that they were able to buff out, but I did have a significant alignment issue. The front bumper on one side was way out of alignment with the body. I was really annoyed that they even brought me down to take delivery with that big of an "oops". I looked at every Model 3 I could at the delivery center (there were lots), and none of them had that accept mine. At least to the degree mine had it.

I debated for about an hour (while they were buffing out some stuff) on whether to accept delivery or to walk away. It definitely qualified in my book to justify walking away from.

So I'd like to say I played it tough, and walked away.

But, I don't make sensible car buying decisions when it comes the time that I'm on bat. To be honest I never really have. I usually have a good plan in mind, but then I screw up somewhere.

So I took delivery with the paper work that said they'd fix the bumper alignment issue. So wherever this ship leads I'm on it.

In some ways maybe I did that to keep found memories of my Model S. It truly was my favorite car I've ever owned, and owning the car was a highly positive experience I won't forget.

Disclaimer: Now I say I didn't have any major paint things I don't mean to say it's not problematic. The paint on all the cars I saw was really disastrous. Either I have unrealistic expectations, or Tesla really sucks at paint. Like my car has small bumper nipple, and a small mix of some other paint color near one of the ultrasonic sensors. There are also a few tiny dark points. In a few thousands miles it won't make a bit of difference as nature will find ways to crush my soul when washing my car.

Windshield had this weird streak/glare in between the glass. They replaced the whole thing and a day later I got a small dimple in it from a rock, FML.

Part of my delivery was keeping this idea in mind. The delivery inspection is this moment of expectations of near perfectness, but it's never going to stay that way. Life itself is laughing at us while were discussing some small paint defect.

Part of my delivery was keeping this idea in mind. The delivery inspection is this moment of expectations of near perfectness, but it's never going to stay that way. Life itself is laughing at us while were discussing some small paint defect.

This is honestly my perspective after having gone through 3 cars over the past decade. Within the 1st year there is a high likelihood that you will have a multitude of issues that even PPF can't protect against. I'm aiming for just front bumper and rocker panels to keep things cheap.

This is honestly my perspective after having gone through 3 cars over the past decade. Within the 1st year there is a high likelihood that you will have a multitude of issues that even PPF can't protect against. I'm aiming for just front bumper and rocker panels to keep things cheap.

That's my plan as well, and what I did with my Model S. With the Model S I also had them add a bit on the bumper after realizing that loading things could scratch it.

There is part of me that wonders I shouldn't just have the entire thing wrapped. Not just for protection, but also to be a bit different in a sea of Model 3's.

I checked "Yes, I had concerns driving it" although I didn't as much have concerns driving it since the car wasn't going anywhere and had to be towed to the SC. The high voltage module failed and had to be replaced. This was two weeks into ownership, other than that, the car has been perfect.

With only 6 people out of 42 who had real concerns so far, I'd say its an above average level of issues but they were all resolvable by Tesla which is a testament to Tesla commitment to service, but they definitely need to do more work on making their cars reliable.

That being said, I think any new Tesla owner will have to come into this car with a expectation that there may be issues at this stage, but as they implement the common issues into their production, I'm hoping things will be much more reliable over the next year or so.

I went into my delivery with the expectation that my inspection would dictate whether I accepted the car or if I would walk away. Where walking away meant getting my deposit back, and simply keeping my 2015 Model S that I've been perfectly happy with.

Of my group I was the only one doing it this way. Everyone else was signing first, and then inspecting second.

One coupe with kids barely inspected the car at all. They loaded up the car seats, and off they went.

There was an asian couple that was almost as picky as me. They had some paint they wanted reworked, but aside from that it was fine. That helped so I didn't feel like I was being overly picky.

I didn't have any major paint things aside from some things that they were able to buff out, but I did have a significant alignment issue. The front bumper on one side was way out of alignment with the body. I was really annoyed that they even brought me down to take delivery with that big of an "oops". I looked at every Model 3 I could at the delivery center (there were lots), and none of them had that accept mine. At least to the degree mine had it.

I debated for about an hour (while they were buffing out some stuff) on whether to accept delivery or to walk away. It definitely qualified in my book to justify walking away from.

So I'd like to say I played it tough, and walked away.

But, I don't make sensible car buying decisions when it comes the time that I'm on bat. To be honest I never really have. I usually have a good plan in mind, but then I screw up somewhere.

So I took delivery with the paper work that said they'd fix the bumper alignment issue. So wherever this ship leads I'm on it.

In some ways maybe I did that to keep found memories of my Model S. It truly was my favorite car I've ever owned, and owning the car was a highly positive experience I won't forget.

Disclaimer: Now I say I didn't have any major paint things I don't mean to say it's not problematic. The paint on all the cars I saw was really disastrous. Either I have unrealistic expectations, or Tesla really sucks at paint. Like my car has small bumper nipple, and a small mix of some other paint color near one of the ultrasonic sensors. There are also a few tiny dark points. In a few thousands miles it won't make a bit of difference as nature will find ways to crush my soul when washing my car.

Oh my God what have I done

We picked up the wife's model 3 and there were a couple tiny paint chips we got them to fix before we took it. Then the following weekend we went and picked mine up. Since we had just picked one up, I didn't have them go over everything, I just gave it a cursory walk around, checking alignment and paint and was good to go. Got home, tried to open the glovebox and all I got was a click... So Tesla mobile service came to my workplace and fixed it in about 40 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Had trunk garnish installed since I had a pre 17k VIN

What is the trunk garnish? I am curious if I also don’t have this.

I have had to have the charge port door fixed, and a smelly AC that is still an ongoing issue. While at the SC, they replaced a suspension part for a TSB as well as my window regulators. I wouldn’t classify any of that a driving concerns, but I think the issues were also not cosmetic.