Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diecast Model S Woes - I have a MC Red, I want a Midnight Silver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hitting eBay looking for the 1:18 official Model S diecast models. There was a healthy mix of Red and Silver. Since my car is closer to Silver than Red, I ordered a Silver. It eventually arrived, the box was factory sealed in plastic with a label that indicated Silver, the box showed a Silver model, but inside was a Red. I emailed the seller and he agreed to swap it. He is an eBay seller and is using Amazon fulfillment. To save time, I returned the Red model and purchased another Silver one (from the same user). Eventually the second one arrived. The box was factory sealed in plastic with a label that indicated Silver, the box showed a Silver model, but inside was a Red. I emailed the seller and he agreed to swap it AGAIN. Same process... sent Red one and re-ordered Silver. Third time, same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if there ever was a Silver one. How did I get 3 mis-boxed (from Tesla or at least their vendor/partner) models?

At this point I decided to move to another seller. Obviously this guy is having inventory issues, although it doesn't appear to be his fault. Now when I search for the 1:18 Silver model, there aren't any.

My first thought is to offer a direct trade with someone from this forum. Do you have a Silver and would prefer a Red? I have a "mint in box" Red that I would gladly trade. Let me know.

My second thought is to attempt to have this Red model repainted. This would actually be preferred as my car has tan interior (as the Red model does) and not black (like the Silver model does). One problem is finding a can of Rustoleum in "Tesla Titanium Metallic". Another problem is the wheels on the Red model are shiny silver and not the gray like on the Silver model (and my car).

Definitely a first world problem.

Looks like a few Silver's did make their way to eBay. Bought a verified Silver model.

I think I'll keep the Red model and consider my options on painting it or having it painted. It is most like my car except for wheels and exterior. I'll see about swapping the wheels from my Silver model.