Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty Replacing a Matrix headlight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The outer lens of my driver's side headlight (in US - matrix type) on my 2022 M3P was broken in a collision. No other damage to the light and it worked fine when delivered to a Tesla certified body shop.

They replaced the whole assembly with a new light but reported that the new one shipped from Tesla is defective as "the low beam does not work but all other lights do." They ordered another one but had the same result with the replacement for the replacement.

A Tesla rep then came by the shop and claimed this car had unique lights and would require the latest global variant. (I believe the first two attempts were the 151495200-C part number and the last was the same, just the "D" variant). New order from Tesla is the response, but unfortunately that one also did not work.

So three headlights sent from Tesla with - two not fully working and one not functioning at all. The shop is baffled as they have replaced many Tesla headlights but have never had a problem like this one. Software reinstall, swapping ballasts, disconnecting the battery... nothing has done the trick. Wiring to the lights looks fine.

Care to offer a suggestion on what to try next?

There are a few threads on headlight replacement. I have no experience with it at all, but here is one such thread. Maybe something in there helps?

Yeah, thanks for the reference. I have learned more from those threads and am relaying to the body shop just in case it is a software issue. Unfortunately the local Tesla rep was canned not long ago so determining the cause is taking time.

Has anybody else here had issues with replacement headlights from Tesla?