Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlight Retrofit Inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I recently purchased a used 2021 MYLR for a pretty good price. I recently noticed that the left side (passenger) DRL has gone out/is completely faded. I have been thinking of buying a used headlight on eBay for ~$250 and install it myself using a few tutorials I found on YouTube.

After further investigation, it seems like there are 2 types of headlights, Matrix and Reflector. My Model Y has the outdated Reflector headlights.

I was wondering if it would be possible to just buy a pair of the newer Matrix headlights (since they seem better) and install them on my Model Y.

I have done some digging and seems like a few individuals were able to do so with some sort of "developer programming" they paid for. However, those posts were from 8-10 months ago.

Does anyone know if this is now possible? Would it be as simple as: Installing the new headlights > going into Service Mode > Reinstall Software?

What would you guys recommend:

-Wait it out and buy Matrix when/if theyre functional with older models

or

-Stop being delusional and buy a replacement Reflector

(btw sorry if this has been asked before)

There's a long thread on here somewhere about this. I believe the answer was, it's not plug and play. If your car wasn't originally equipped with them, there's a different connector and software needs to be updated - which it can't be if you're not in the 'matrix-equipped' VIN range. But do a search here for the thread to confirm my recollection.

Reactions: ewoodrick
There's a long thread on here somewhere about this. I believe the answer was, it's not plug and play. If your car wasn't originally equipped with them, there's a different connector and software needs to be updated - which it can't be if you're not in the 'matrix-equipped' VIN range. But do a search here for the thread to confirm my recollection.
For model 3 and Y the connector is the same.

Software configuration needs to be updated, but there’s no restricted VIN. It can be updated by anyone who subscribes to toolbox. In fact Tesla doesn’t even sell the old headlights anymore for US cars. If you need to replace one, you have to upgrade to matrix.

Reactions: djones225