Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature headlight fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 has one dim signature light. I'm out of warranty. Was going to submit for replacement but wanted to check if there's any improvement/update in the design? Don't want to pay for a replacement that may just recur. Apparently retrofitting new matrix headlights involves non Tesla work.

Your 2017 what (vehicle)? Most of your posts are on model X, but this is in model 3 subforum. While there are a few 2017 model 3s that is a pretty small install base. Are you talking about model 3s or does this need to be moved to some other subforum?

Yes, we got a model 3 as well. early VIN, took delivery 12/2017.
Yes, later revisions of the headlight had less chance of the signature light reflector sagging down and going dim. The signature "light" is actually a strip of reflectors that are lit up by the daytime running light at the very top of the headlight.

After 2019 I didn't read about many Model 3s having this issue anymore, and it seemed to be more common on 2018 and earlier cars. I had my early 2018 Model 3 driver headlight replaced under warranty for this issue at around 40k miles. Luckily I got to keep the old driver side headlight because my passenger side headlight finally had the same issue at around 130k miles. I just took off the newer, good driver headlight and put my old one back one. So now both of my headlights match with no signature light strip 😃. I plan on selling my good driver headlight online.

Reactions: ps004ynos