Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disco 4 Landmark (2016) Versus Model X 100D (2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
This is the first time on this site, so forgive my naive question.

I currently have a 2016 Landrover Discovery 4 Landmark edition - one of the very last. The residuals have been astonishing, but it has 47,000 miles and am considering changing for a 2017 100d Model x (used from Tesla).
Pre-covid I was doing 30,000 a year like clockwork, even in lockdown year I managed 14,000.
Is this a sensible swap?
I have tow large chocolate labradors, two children. We travel regularly from Oxford to Suffolk (330 mile round trip)
Any advice on model experience? anyone who has done the same?
Any thing to look out for on the Model X 100D? The spec is Model X 100D Long Range, 22" Onyx Black Turbine Wheels, Six Seat Interior, Technology Package, Towing Package, Autopilot, Premium Upgrades Package .Smart Air Suspension

Thanks for your help

Richard

I put over 25,000 miles on my MX100D the first year, with one cross county trip in the USA and many other north to south and back on the east coast. It is easy to do, and I have tried both, hurry and get there (short charge stops) to let's get out and stretch, eat, relax (long charge stops) and both are good. No problem with what you are looking at, and I don't know what speed you'll be traveling, but most likely you'll need to charge going and coming. So as long as there are chargers along the way you should be all set. It is a great comfortable road car, with hardly any road and of course no engine vibrations.

We have a 2017 x100d. Owned it since new.
It’s a 6 seater with center console. We also have 2 Labradors. They have not ridden in the back so not sure how comfortable they would be do to the shape of the x. Had almost no issues with car, gasoline expensive in SoCal, so it’s great not to have that expense. I have seen the cars with 180,000 miles on them so we will never sell. Ours real leather, still looks new. New range was 294
miles, after 4 years, 44,000 , still can charge to 270. I would try your dogs in the back before buying.

. We travel regularly from Oxford to Suffolk (330 mile round trip)
Any advice on model experience? anyone who has done the same?
Any thing to look out for on the Model X 100D? The spec is Model X 100D Long Range, 22" Onyx Black Turbine Wheels
I have a 2017 model X 100D with 20” wheels and regularly do a 380 mile trip, one direction. I typically leave home with about 80% charge, make 2 supercharger stops for 30 min each, and end the 380 mile journey with about 30% charge. For your 330 mile round trip, you can probably do the one way trip of 165 miles without stopping to charge, but I would caution that the 22” tires are not as efficient and I hear they eat up range. There are also a lot of factors that can and do decrease the range, including battery degradation (my original 295 miles rated range is currently down to 275 miles), heater use in cold weather, driving fast, wind, extra weight in the car, etc.

There have been quite a few threads over the past 6 months with people having questions as they consider buying a 2017 model X. Here are some links to a couple that you might find of some help.
@joeyjackson, as you mentioned, Tesla is ever changing details of the design, so it becomes quite a job to try to compare different used options. Prior to the current refresh, I think there are 2 major technical design changes to be aware of:
  • MCU2 came out March/April 2018. MCU1 prior to that can be quite buggy and will eventually die. This is what the recall is about that you mentioned, which will make a change to keep it from dying, but not necessarily keep it from being buggy. There is also an MCU2 upgrade that can be done for $1500. Especially as you are coming from a model 3, I don’t think you would be happy with the performance of MCU1, so just plan to spend for the upgrade (if it hasn’t already been done) if looking at used Model X before this date.
  • The Raven update in spring 2019, previously mentioned. This changed air suspension and motors.
Then there are tons of smaller changes. Here is a list I recently put together of some of the pre-Raven changes.

That list is by no means complete. I have not kept up as much with changes post-Raven, but one notable one is seats changed in late 2019. Before that time the front seats had adjustable headrests. There are those who complain that the older seats are painfully uncomfortable. I don’t feel that way at all.

Hi all,

I’ve made a deal to purchase a 2017 Model X 100d and to say I’m excited is an understatement. Wanting a Tesla for years and I’m so close. I hate to beat a topic to death but after all my googling and searching, I can’t find a conclusion. This model I’m looking to purchase shows it has the Enhanced Autopilot but not FSD 3.0. I believe. So I’m assuming, based on what I’ve read, I’ll have to pay between $2500 and $4000 to upgrade to FSD? That sound correct?

thanks in advance.

We have one standard poodle - not as big as a Lab, but they have long gangly legs they need space for, he has a ton of space, two would be fine with the 3rd row folded. He's even ridden in the rear trunk well (with the cover removed) when we took 7 people (7-seater) to a park on a 1.5-hour one-way drive not too long ago, and was able to get some attention from the 3rd-row occupants and could still look out the back glass. Surprised the heck out of me that it worked, as our alternate idea was for him to ride in the front passenger footwell, but he seemed comfortable (with a bunch of soft stuff in the bottom of the well)

The other bit is, the center tunnel...isn't a tunnel. So there's room for a dog to stretch out in on the floor or on a 6-seater between the 2nd row, which is cool.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I have the exact vehicle mix (2015 Disco 4 and 2017 MX 100). We have done two cross country trips (USA) in the LR4 and will be doing it this summer in the X. The LR4 is such an amazing road trip/kid/dog platform it’s really hard to compare the two. They really serve two different purposes in our life and each has its strengths and weakness, admittedly I do not think I know all the X’s yet. This is our third Disco so I am well acquainted with the LRs short comings. But I will say this about the X; it’s nearly impossible to beat on a long highway cruise, autopilot removes significant driving stress and in my mind that out weighs the range anxiety. I’m happy to have forced longer stops this time across the USA. That said for where we live (utah) and what we do(ski and mountain bike) the MX can’t totally replace the Land Rover. The bike and ski rack situation makes it a second adventure vehicle not a primary for us. We daily the X as much as possible to save gas and wear and tear on the LR but when we know things will get dusty or snowy we grab the LR keys.

I was given the advice the skip the 22’s by this forum and I would pass that long to anyone else just gets the dark grey 20s and enjoy the range and extra side wall.

Hi,
That is such a useful post - thank you so much.
It makes complete sense and has crystallised out my dilema. I love the Disco 4 for the fact it is a huge trip /dog / kid platform but there is space in my life for two cars :)

The wife will not be pleased but I plan to keep the LR4 and get the X.

Thank you

That said for where we live (utah) and what we do(ski and mountain bike) the MX can’t totally replace the Land Rover. The bike and ski rack situation makes it a second adventure vehicle not a primary for us. We daily the X as much as possible to save gas and wear and tear on the LR but when we know things will get dusty or snowy we grab the LR keys.

Just curious - can you explain what the issue is with the X and MTB? I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek and using a bike rack works fine. I expect the MX to be the same, i.e. work without issues, or not?

With skiing, I understand that since you can't use roof boxes, the X has a downside, so that's one thing. But for MTB, I'm curious to hear what's the issue.

Just curious - can you explain what the issue is with the X and MTB? I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek and using a bike rack works fine. I expect the MX to be the same, i.e. work without issues, or not?

With skiing, I understand that since you can't use roof boxes, the X has a downside, so that's one thing. But for MTB, I'm curious to hear what's the issue.
I have the Tesla hitch and Tesla rack(with ski rack attachment). But the kids bike frames and my frame style mean the easiest and best MTB rack is a 4 place Kuat platform rack(read heavy). It’s definitely over the Tesla hitch designed tongue weight when loaded so I don’t want to chance it a lot, I’ll do it for short trips. Yes I could change the Tesla hitch but honestly I don’t want a receiver hanging out all the time. Plus.. we have the all white interior and dusty Utah trails. So while the X can MTB for me the LR is the better choice most times.

Reactions: iustin