Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distracted driving fine in BC $2000.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of advances in voice recognition, relying on voice recognition ONLY is Fair to Poor in my M3.
I have had far to many frustrating experiences when calling by microphone, in the short time I have had the car.
Getting caught in BC for distracted driving is going to cost $2000.00.

Voice cant distinguish between the following for example:

Alain or Alan or Elaine
Suzon or Susan
Marie or Mary
Denise or Dennis

Its time to add code to the cars Tesla Program to allow reading and touch selecting Phone Contacts from the display screen.
I miss that feature from my previous 2017 VW Golf.

Do you have a reference to how they define distraction driving? I can understand eating a burger, but all other functions should not be noted. Even in an airplane, you have to change radio channels.
Yea, that was going to be my question. $2,000 for a violation that could me decided at the opinion of the officer sure seems like a lot of money. Are they that desperate for income up there? Why so much?

Regardless of advances in voice recognition, relying on voice recognition ONLY is Fair to Poor in my M3.
I have had far to many frustrating experiences when calling by microphone, in the short time I have had the car.
Getting caught in BC for distracted driving is going to cost $2000.00.

Voice cant distinguish between the following for example:

Alain or Alan or Elaine
Suzon or Susan
Marie or Mary
Denise or Dennis

Its time to add code to the cars Tesla Program to allow reading and touch selecting Phone Contacts from the display screen.
I miss that feature from my previous 2017 VW Golf.

I use the "hey siri" function to use voice commands of my phone, instead of the car. If your phone recognizes you better try hey siri or hey google (android). The things you are talking about "alain or alan, or marie or mary, or denise or dennis, all sound like things that could happen from your pronouciation / accent.

Some voice assistants do better with accents / dialects than others.

If you HAVE to pick up your phone, then you should pull into a parking lot (or a shoulder, I guess), make the call then proceed.

If doing that is not worth (saving) $2000 to you, then... sure, it’s inconvenient, but for $2000, I’d do a lot of things.

Remember Tesla is selling these cars world wide, so accent becomes a very big deal, Even the English language has lots of pronunciation differences from northern states to southern states, and yes my wife is French Canadian while her Sister in France has an entirely different French accent. Hence if I talk to my friend Alan or talk to my friend Alain they know the difference should I make mistake.Voice recognition does not have a clue..

Remember Tesla is selling these cars world wide, so accent becomes a very big deal, Even the English language has lots of pronunciation differences from northern states to southern states, and yes my wife is French Canadian while her Sister in France has an entirely different French accent. Hence if I talk to my friend Alan or talk to my friend Alain they know the difference should I make mistake.Voice recognition does not have a clue..
We understand your point. However, google assistant, Alexa, Siri, none of them understand me consistently. So, this really isn't just a Tesla issue.

On my X the display will show any multiple contacts that may be correct for my voice. I can then scroll to the person I wish to call and press enter on the steering wheel button. Imagine that your 3 may have similar capabilites.

New car will usually take some time to adjust to its capabilities. Of course it will not respond exactly as you are used to in your previous car. It takes a while to sort out any new interface. If you are having trouble with sound alike names, you also have the option to spell the name or use the digits to get the person you desire.

Even my new Alexa on my home system screws up some verbal commands from time to time.

If It is, I have not found it, however if its available on the MS, maybe there is hope they will port it over to the M3... I hope someone at Tesla is listening!

Bring up the phone icon on the 3 (the one that looks like a phone from the 1920s) and it will have your contacts and recent dialed numbers on the Model 3 screen. You may need to authorize your phone to share contacts during the Bluetooth pairing process to get it to work. Only thing I wish it had was the ability to store favorite contacts. But my recently called list works well enough most of the time. Touch a number and it dials.

• Informative
Reactions: sixela and tomot
This is total click bait, the fine could be as much as $2000 for habitual offenders. The Model 3 does show contacts on screen. There are several solutions to help with voice controls. As we say in software the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.

Bring up the phone icon on the 3 (the one that looks like a phone from the 1920s) and it will have your contacts and recent dialed numbers on the Model 3 screen. You may need to authorize your phone to share contacts during the Bluetooth pairing process to get it to work. Only thing I wish it had was the ability to store favorite contacts. But my recently called list works well enough most of the time. Touch a number and it dials.
.... Yikes! I missed that icon

This is total click bait, the fine could be as much as $2000 for habitual offenders.
To be totally correct, and with my apologies .....getting caught in BC for distracted driving could cost $2000.00, if you are caught again within a three-year period.

I have seen on several occasions Police standing at stop signs in Vancouver looking into cars to see if the driver is texting or has the seat belt on. Hence if I need to make a call where the microphone wont pick the right contact, I have no choice but to use the phone, which is distracted driving, if I'm caught.
My car doesn't load my contacts at all, so I use voice to call by phone number. Never got a phone number wrong.

Another idea, if you really want to discern Alan from Alaine or Elaine... Use a nickname for them(Steve, Charlie, Juliet....) , or maybe add the first character of their last name...

I can easily see Alaine and Elaine being very difficult for voice recognition to pick out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ejl80
Another idea, if you really want to discern Alan from Alaine or Elaine... Use a nickname for them(Steve, Charlie, Juliet....) , or maybe add the first character of their last name...

I can easily see Alaine and Elaine being very difficult for voice recognition to pick out.

I'm not opposed to voice recognition, as long as I have an alternative, I was unaware the (old Telephone icon) was able to provide my phone list on my M3 screen. I've already edited my contact list a number of times in the past. So I will be happy to continue to use the touch screen with my abbr. instead of voice recognition.