Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY 12v battery removal and reinstall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed on OEM batteries being the best option. Don't fall for the snake oil marketing folks and spend more money for something that's only going to add more headaches. OEM>Aftermarket when it comes to 12v batteries in Teslas.

I recently had another 12v battery replaced and it couldn't have been any more convenient to just let Tesla do it. I scheduled the appointment in the app and 2 days later they were in my garage replacing it. Had some good conversation and the ranger tech checked out a couple of low level things on a couple of my other cars while he was there.

Total price was $238 for parts labor and everything. I believe the battery itself would have been $168 if I recall. 10 years ago I probably would have bought the battery and replaced it myself to save a few bucks but as I age I've come to appreciate my time and not having to deal with such things especially when the cost is more than reasonable.

Hell, if you would have told me 10 years ago that I would get a message from my car warning me that my 12 volt battery was going to fail in a month or two and I could click a couple of buttons on a phone and have a human being come out and replace it for a total of $268 I would have said you were crazy and that was even based on 10 years ago dollars being worth much more than they are now. In my opinion, it's a tremendously economical option.

Agreed on OEM batteries being the best option. Don't fall for the snake oil marketing folks and spend more money for something that's only going to add more headaches. OEM>Aftermarket when it comes to 12v batteries in Teslas.

I recently had another 12v battery replaced and it couldn't have been any more convenient to just let Tesla do it. I scheduled the appointment in the app and 2 days later they were in my garage replacing it. Had some good conversation and the ranger tech checked out a couple of low level things on a couple of my other cars while he was there.

Total price was $238 for parts labor and everything. I believe the battery itself would have been $168 if I recall. 10 years ago I probably would have bought the battery and replaced it myself to save a few bucks but as I age I've come to appreciate my time and not having to deal with such things especially when the cost is more than reasonable.

Hell, if you would have told me 10 years ago that I would get a message from my car warning me that my 12 volt battery was going to fail in a month or two and I could click a couple of buttons on a phone and have a human being come out and replace it for a total of $268 I would have said you were crazy and that was even based on 10 years ago dollars being worth much more than they are now. In my opinion, it's a tremendously economical option.

That's one thing I can agree on with you ;) Lots of companies making parts that are just taking advantage of unsuspecting owners.

The 12v warning came up on our 2018 3 around the same time and I was surprised that battery was under $100. I double checked my battery invoice and it was $165.