Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Ceramic Coating Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to possibly do my own ceramic coating and was curious who had some suggestions as far as which one to go with and any other pointers for a first timer. The car will be exposed to the elements since I don't have a garage to store it in. This is in Ohio so weather fluctuates. I'm leaning towards the Carpro CQUK. Seems affordable and easy to apply and last a long time. Ideally want 1-2 years out of it. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to apply a ceramic coating and it seems fairly straight forward, but open to pointers.

I just started using Meguiar's ceramic wax. Am very impressed so far. The shine and slippery finish are outstanding. I use an orbiter to apply the wax. This gives an absolutely great swirl free finish when buffed off.....much better than hand applying it. It is so slippery that all I do to maintain it is use a California duster once a week. I used their synthetic wax prior and liked it but this is a notch better.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081489MTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking to possibly do my own ceramic coating and was curious who had some suggestions as far as which one to go with and any other pointers for a first timer. The car will be exposed to the elements since I don't have a garage to store it in. This is in Ohio so weather fluctuates. I'm leaning towards the Carpro CQUK. Seems affordable and easy to apply and last a long time. Ideally want 1-2 years out of it. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to apply a ceramic coating and it seems fairly straight forward, but open to pointers.
I use liquid glass: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
In fact, having the car bake in the sun helps this product cure.

This video will give you more info on ceramic coating without a garage:

I used UK 3.0. Hardest part is paint prepping as you need to polish off all paint imperfections. Application is pretty straight forward. Make sure you buff it off throughly with microfiber as it will leave a rainbow haze. Top it off with CarPro Gliss. Maintain it with Reload.

I used UK 3.0. Hardest part is paint prepping as you need to polish off all paint imperfections. Application is pretty straight forward. Make sure you buff it off throughly with microfiber as it will leave a rainbow haze. Top it off with CarPro Gliss. Maintain it with Reload.

Yea. The imperfections are what I’m concerned about. I haven’t gotten my car yet (delivery in a week) so I’ll have to see what the paint looks like then and decide. I’ve got IronX, Eraser, the Uk 3.0 and reload. When I contacted CarPro they said for a new car, Clay barring may not be needed.

Yea. The imperfections are what I’m concerned about. I haven’t gotten my car yet (delivery in a week) so I’ll have to see what the paint looks like then and decide. I’ve got IronX, Eraser, the Uk 3.0 and reload. When I contacted CarPro they said for a new car, Clay barring may not be needed.
My cars paint was fairly perfect. No swirls or scratches at all. But I think they put a coating on the paint since the paint is fairly hydrophobic when I got the car last week. Here is what is important before DIY ceramic coating (and this came from a message to me from Pan just the other day), you should still DA polish the paint to remove any factory applied sealant before the ceramic coat. Then isopropyl wipe to get the polish oils off and THEN apply the ceramic coating.

For a brand new car here are the minimal things you should do:
1) wash car
2) iron remover
3) Can consider clay barring but may not be necessary (Pan says to do it though)
4) One step polishing with a DA polisher and polishing pad (new cars probably dont need a two step compound and polish if there are no scratches which will save ALOT of time)
5) IPA wipe (50% isopropyl alcohol should be fine)
6) Ceramic coat

This will typically take about 3-4 hours to do correctly on a new Model Y but would otherwise cost $1500 by a car detailer.
Dont forget the clear bra wrap for the chips and dings on at least the bumper, hood, mirrors and a-pillars and a ceramic coating on the vegan leather is a cheap way to keep the seats and stuff clean for a year or two (especially on the white!). I put Gyeon ceramic coating on my white interior last week and when my dog brought her muddy dusty paws all over the back, it wiped off with some water only. For $50 you can pretty much coat 2-3 cars interiors.

My cars paint was fairly perfect. No swirls or scratches at all. But I think they put a coating on the paint since the paint is fairly hydrophobic when I got the car last week. Here is what is important before DIY ceramic coating (and this came from a message to me from Pan just the other day), you should still DA polish the paint to remove any factory applied sealant before the ceramic coat. Then isopropyl wipe to get the polish oils off and THEN apply the ceramic coating.

For a brand new car here are the minimal things you should do:
1) wash car
2) iron remover
3) Can consider clay barring but may not be necessary (Pan says to do it though)
4) One step polishing with a DA polisher and polishing pad (new cars probably dont need a two step compound and polish if there are no scratches which will save ALOT of time)
5) IPA wipe (50% isopropyl alcohol should be fine)
6) Ceramic coat

This will typically take about 3-4 hours to do correctly on a new Model Y but would otherwise cost $1500 by a car detailer.
Dont forget the clear bra wrap for the chips and dings on at least the bumper, hood, mirrors and a-pillars and a ceramic coating on the vegan leather is a cheap way to keep the seats and stuff clean for a year or two (especially on the white!). I put Gyeon ceramic coating on my white interior last week and when my dog brought her muddy dusty paws all over the back, it wiped off with some water only. For $50 you can pretty much coat 2-3 cars interiors.

I did pretty much the same steps except I found that since I picked up straight from Fremont, there was no iron particles. On my white car, ironx had nothing to react to but boy did it stink. I used V36 and V38 out of habit but probably could have got away with just V38.

Reactions: aburrows
I did pretty much the same steps except I found that since I picked up straight from Fremont, there was no iron particles. On my white car, ironx had nothing to react to but boy did it stink. I used V36 and V38 out of habit but probably could have got away with just V38.
True indeed. IronX my car and no particles to be found on a new car but it definitely made itself known with the horrible smell.