Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do free supercharging miles received at purchase expire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my Model 3 in June, I received 5000 supercharger miles via a referral. I assumed that they would last forever and I have used them sparingly, only when needed, about 440 miles in 6 months.

However, I saw on a thread related to the premium connection costs that supercharger miles accrued will expire.

Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, I may have to take a cross-country trip...

Reactions: beachmiles
Free supercharging miles expire 6 months after receiving them.

Wow, that's a bummer. How can they give me 5000 miles to use in six months? I would have to charge almost exclusively at an SC.

I clicked on the Learn More in my Loot Box and the terms also say that my six months expiration date can be extended by another referral, so I guess I need to find someone who wants to buy a Tesla and fast.

Wow, that's a bummer. How can they give me 5000 miles to use in six months? I would have to charge almost exclusively at an SC.

I clicked on the Learn More in my Loot Box and the terms also say that my six months expiration date can be extended by another referral, so I guess I need to find someone who wants to buy a Tesla and fast.

Yes exactly, another referral extends the deadline by 6 months and also gives you another 1000 miles.

My sister just used my referral to purchase a M3 so I will get 1,000 free miles but I already have 2 years free supercharging, so how does that work? Do i get the free miles after my 2 years or do I get something in lieu of the free miles?

5000 free SC miles is actually 2000 kWh deposited into your account. At least it's that amount for Model 3.

However, Tesla can't really give you a certain number of miles as SuCs measure energy dispensed in kWh and can't guarantee how you are going to drive. Your driving affects the efficiency, how many miles you get with each kWh. this is same as gas stations selling gallons and not how many miles.

2000 kWh isn't very sexy so Tesla rather says, "5000 free miles", which is much sexier. But even that is only an estimate. Dividing 2000 kWh/5000 mi = 400 kWh/mi. This what Tesla assumes and is very generous. This is very high for a Model 3 so your actual mileage will actually be much higher. To determine how many miles you will get you have to figure out your cars efficiency from one of your trip meters.

My lifetime efficiency in my 3 LR RWD is 0.250 kWh/mi. If you do the math, this is 2000 kWh/ ( .250 kWh/mi) = 8,000 miles... At least at my consumption rate.

Given that you one can use up that amount of miles in 6 months. I have only 134 kWh left out of 2000 kwh credit they placed in my account at the end of June.

Doing the math 2000-134= 1866 kWh used. 1866 kWh / (0.250 kWh/mi) = 7467 miles supercharged.

Considering my car is 5.5 months old and is at 16,862 odometer, I could consume my remaining balance next week.

I've done almost 6k miles Superchargering in road trips alone in the last 6 months

Last edited:
My sister just used my referral to purchase a M3 so I will get 1,000 free miles but I already have 2 years free supercharging, so how does that work? Do i get the free miles after my 2 years or do I get something in lieu of the free miles?

I'm jealous. 2 year free SuC. I could use 10-12 k miles a year on road trips. At $0.32 / kWh, and my cars .250 kWh/mi car consumption rate... For me that would be worth.

($0.32 / kWh)* (.250 kWh/mi)*20,000 mi = $1,600 with of value In 2 years

2000 kWh isn't very sexy so Tesla rather says, "5000 free miles", which is much sexier. But even that is only an estimate. Dividing 2000 kWh/5000 mi = 400 kWh/mi.

I knew it wasn’t actually miles, but I didn’t know the rate they used to calculate that, so thanks for that information.

Still, charging all the time at a supercharger for normally daily driving would consume a lot of time that I wouldn’t want to spend unless I was in a road trip. It’s easier to charge at home or at work.

i just thought I had that balance forever so I would use them whenever I did travel out of the area. If I had known, I also wouldn’t have been as stingy when I was supercharging.

I'm not so sure if Tesla is actually following through on expiring the free Supercharger miles after 6 months.

I got 1000 free Supercharger miles added to my account on 7/24/19 upon delivery of a Model 3 to my friend who used my referral code. It's now 6 months and 26 days later, and there are still some of these free Supercharger miles remaining on my account. (I haven't had any other referrals since.) My friend also has some miles remaining on his account.

Has anyone else had a similar or different experience? I'm wondering how widespread this is.

It has been eight months since my purchase and none of my free supercharger miles have expired. I am hoping they don't since I have only used up 10% of the 5000 miles I received.

I just noticed in my Loot Box that an expiration date is now listed - all my miles from my purchase (4510 remaining) will expire on 6/30/2020, so a little over a year after the purchase. This was a promotion for those buying by end of June 2019.

With a charger at home and work, and no longer cross country trips in the last six months, I haven't needed to use superchargers very much. Just watch though, I will be using them all the time come July....

• Helpful
Reactions: PV EV in VT