Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have control of the city/county inspection date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, you might want to check into this stuff carefully, because these type of things generally around things like "placed into service" or "install date" and you dont want to mess around with trying to skate by on a Technicality.

You might have a few days flexibility but you are not going to push it off "weeks". You should just plan on having your install done after Jan 1 2024, if Tesla tries to schedule it before then, tell them you are not available. Trying to delay things on the "other side" of the installation is likely to be frustrating (and perhaps not fruitful for more than a week or so).

First, you might want to check into this stuff carefully, because these type of things generally around things like "placed into service" or "install date" and you dont want to mess around with trying to skate by on a Technicality.

You might have a few days flexibility but you are not going to push it off "weeks". You should just plan on having your install done after Jan 1 2024, if Tesla tries to schedule it before then, tell them you are not available. Trying to delay things on the "other side" of the installation is likely to be frustrating (and perhaps not fruitful for more than a week or so).
That sounds like I good idea.

I confirmed with Maryland that it's the "City or county inspection" that needs to be in 2024, so installation can happen in 2023, if Tesla moves that fast (my site assessment is 10/13). You are right that it's safer to just install in 2024.

It also depends on the equipment being installed and your power company. For Tesla to install the backup switch on my meter socket my power company TEP required a line disconnect and would not reconnect power without the county approval.

It might differ in MD, but a friend in UT had his site assessment recently - he was told the information would go into the design queue. That process was expected to take 3-4 weeks. If that is the same in Maryland, that means design wouldn't be done until November and I'd expect getting permits and such to take more than 2 months. While Tesla might want to move fast, the county and utility probably won't be as accommodating.

Reactions: Grayson73