Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Smaller Tires Are Longer Lasting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Had a quick question.
I currently have the Tesla 20" rims on my vehicle and absolutely love how they look.
That being said, I realized that my options are pretty limited in terms of tires that fit the 20"
Im contemplating on going to 18" or 19". Which size has more tire options?
Also, do the smaller tires last longer due to the thicker sidewalls or is the tread thickness all the same between the sizes.
I don't really come across potholes so that's not a big issue but having more tire options (that are cheaper) and having a tire that isn't sticky (rocks kick up all the time) would be super nice.

Tread compound and driving style are going to have the biggest impact I'd say - your comment about less vs more sticky directly relates to wear as well as performance... everything is a trade off :)

It's been a while since I was in MD but there were for sure some potholes in the day.. east coast salt-treated winter/summer effect..

H
Also, do the smaller tires last longer due to the thicker sidewalls or is the tread thickness all the same between the sizes.
I don't really come across potholes so that's not a big issue but having more tire options (that are cheaper) and having a tire that isn't sticky (rocks kick up all the time) would be super nice.
18" tires are not smaller, they carry the same load.
18" tires have a higher sidewall because they have a different aspect ratio. This helps prevent pothole damage--if enough air is kept in.
18" tires are usually less performance oriented, which means the belts and tread compound make them longer lasting (unless you get 18" high performance tires).
It's the tread pattern that kicks up rocks. No normal street tire has a tread compound that's sticky enough to pick up gravel.
Tread depth is generally not more than 0.5 mm different between 18" and 20". (exception: street legal race tires which may have only half the tread depth).