Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do tires last longer on 19" wheels than on 20" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between Gemini & Induction wheels.

Aside from aesthetics, cost, and the slight range difference, what are the pros & cons of 19" vs 20" wheels?

My main concerns would be maximizing tire longevity; performance in snow/ice; and noise.

This is for "normal" driving -- not planning to do any racing or anything too crazy.

Thanks for any input!

Aside from aesthetics, cost, and the slight range difference, what are the pros & cons of 19" vs 20" wheels?

My main concerns would be maximizing tire longevity; performance in snow/ice; and noise.

This is for "normal" driving -- not planning to do any racing or anything too crazy.

Thanks for any input!
Tire cost is “lower” on the 19” wheels (I know - technically falls under the “cost” part of your post). I’ve only had 19” wheels on my Y’s - so I can’t give a first hand account comparing the two. Reports are that the 19’s have a more compliant ride. There are also some reports of the larger factory rims cracking on potholes.

I live in the rust belt and the roads are frost heaved and full of pot holes - which is why I’ve got 19” wheels.

I’m unaware of any wear differences, but they may exist.

Upvote 0
If you care about longevity, then 19 in is better. Generally, lower profile tires (20 or 21 in wheels) are more prone to damage from poor road/pot holes. Thicker sidewall give you a bit extra cushion, thus better comfort as well. I have 19 in wheel with 40K original miles so far. Should last another 5K or so.

Reactions: EVChris
Upvote 0
Aside from the range differences, cost, and aesthetics I don't think there will be much difference in tire longevity, handling, or noise from the 19'' and 20'' wheels if the vehicle is the same weight. Normally, the tire longevity or lifetime is shorter compared to the gas vehicle because of the EV car's weight and sprint starting. suggest doing a four wheel alignment while your car is at 6500 miles or exchanging the tires front to rear at 12000–15000 miles, which will reduce the tire wear and make them last longer. Here is the Tesla tire care and maintenance guide.

• Informative
Reactions: Hammer Bro
Upvote 0

Thanks for any input!
Induction wheels look a lot sexier than the 19” Gemini wheels. I wish I had those.

Comparing like Michelin PS4AS (my favorite) tires, they are $45/each more for the 20” versions.

Both sizes of Michelins have the same tread wear rating, so theoretically they will last the same.

The 20” will probably handle and brake better.

probably no difference for snow/ice and noise.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0
Aside from aesthetics...

You already seems to have made your own choice...

Note: If you don't want to paid the 20" option, or prefer a little bit comfy ride, you could install those Induction hub cap

evaam hubcap  .jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
My Y rides on 19" aftermarket winter wheels and tires which are much more comfortable not to mention much cheaper and the choice for 19" tires is 10 fold compared to the 20" tires. I liked the ride and wide range of choice so much that I put the inductions on a storage shelf and elected to go with 18" for my summer wheels where once again, ride comfort, tire availability and lower price are even better. After my first summer of use, the inductions sit on a storage shelf to be put back on when I sell/exchange my car like I normally do every 3-4 years. If I had to do it all over again I would not consider anything larger than 19" wheels.

Upvote 0
Hey @antio !

Warning! General statement: 19" tires *may* last longer and be more economical, because 1) 20-21" tires tend to be more sport-oriented, and unconsciously (or consciously?) tempt us to more (ahem) vigorous driving, 2) sport-oriented tires tend toward higher grip vs longer wear in compound design, and 3) lower-profile tires tend to be more expensive. This may not be true for every manufacturer in every instance. Also, while larger wheels are in vogue, the smaller wheels still have the numbers, and marketing/manufacturing reality leans toward less units = higher cost/price.

Above said, some manufacturers perform miracles ands defeat the laws of thermodynamics by creating tires that have infinite wear, gumball stickiness wet-AND-dry, ultra-quiet, perpetual rolling resistance, Herculean weight capacity, and Da Vinci-inspired tread-pattern graphics ... all regardless of driving habits. Okay, a *little* exaggeration. :p

But hey! If you like the look of wagon wheels and low-profile tires, ya pay the piper! ;)

Upvote 0