Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do tires wear out faster in the front or back of your model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a model S and the tires in the back seem like they have a lot of tread while the front seem low. Trying to figure out if I should rotate them. I asked seller if he's had it rotated already and he says he's not sure if service center did it or not.

If the fronts are low you need to replace them, especially with the rains were are experiencing in California. The tire shop should put the tires with the most tread depth on the rear so they will rotate them for you. The reason is that traction needs to be maintained at the rear since it is much easier to control front traction loss compared to the rears (you can steer with the front wheels but not so much with the rears when you're fishtailing).

Anyway, to answer your question it depends. I have an old RWD Model S and the front and rear tires wore evenly. I went 60K miles on my last set of tires without rotating them. I'll try rotating this current set every 10K miles (same Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 model as the old ones) and see if I can eke out any further distance.

If the fronts are low you need to replace them, especially with the rains were are experiencing in California. The tire shop should put the tires with the most tread depth on the rear so they will rotate them for you. The reason is that traction needs to be maintained at the rear since it is much easier to control front traction loss compared to the rears (you can steer with the front wheels but not so much with the rears when you're fishtailing).

Anyway, to answer your question it depends. I have an old RWD Model S and the front and rear tires wore evenly. I went 60K miles on my last set of tires without rotating them. I'll try rotating this current set every 10K miles (same Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 model as the old ones) and see if I can eke out any further distance.
How would you get more miles out of the tires by rotating them?

How would you get more miles out of the tires by rotating them?
I really don't know. I know what to expect by not rotating them, but I don't know the results from routinely rotating them. I would have assumed the front tires would wear faster based on traditional front brake bias and the shoulders to wear faster due to steering and cornering but the RWD regeneration, my mild usage of the brake pedal, and relatively low weight distribution to the front probably resulted in my tires wearing evenly.

Reactions: AMPd