Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a later Model Year Tesla affect resale if it’s only built 1 month later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbM3

May 22, 2017
Orlando
Continuing the argument:

Bet Tsla maintains evidence is needed for the very common understanding that an older Model year has a lower resale value requires evidence.

He also claims the Industry standard Kelley Blue Book values do not constitute evidence.

‘I’ve asked for any contrary evidence, and I am now asking in addition for why he refuses to accept the gold standard in resale values as insufficient evidence.

Continuing the argument:

Bet Tsla maintains evidence is needed for the very common understanding that an older Model year has a lower resale value requires evidence.

He also claims the Industry standard Kelley Blue Book values do not constitute evidence.

‘I’ve asked for any contrary evidence, and I am now asking in addition for why he refuses to accept the gold standard in resale values as insufficient evidence.

Depends on the buyer. Might be important to them.

Also possibly different insurance rates. Ask your insurance agent.

You should read my post. I clearly state there is loss of value due to time. That is on all cars, including Tesla. For the model year to be proven an issue (or not an issue), you need to look at the values of a Feb 2018 Tesla, a November 2018 and a Feb 2019 Tesla. Then see if there is a greater difference in predicted value then just a standard daily decline. Other months can substitute, but for model year to make a difference, there has to be a greater than expected time value loss as the car crosses over the yearly threshold. It will take some statistics and probably more data then exists today. Maybe next year there will be enough data.

Your point is only valid if the month of manufacture was a commonly included piece of data.

I’ve never seen the month included. Can you show on any industry standard resale site, where this information is requested of the seller, or searched for by the buyer?

I’ve never had a buyer of a car ask which month my car was sold, and I’ve sold a Tesla.

‘Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds... are the standards. Do they include the month?

Depends on the buyer. Might be important to them.

Also possibly different insurance rates. Ask your insurance agent.

Only in specific cases. And buyers have NEVER asked me the month of manufacture, nor have I ever been asked to provide it. Either to private parties, or car dealers.

So even if the month of manufacture is important to 90% of buyers (incredibly unlikely), that does not change the fact that a 2018 Model 3 would be less than a 2019 Model on average because of the remainder of buyers who do not ask this info.

Only in specific cases. And buyers have NEVER asked me the month of manufacture, nor have I ever been asked to provide it. Either to private parties, or car dealers.

So even if the month of manufacture is important to 90% of buyers (incredibly unlikely), that does not change the fact that a 2018 Model 3 would be less than a 2019 Model on average because of the remainder of buyers who do not ask this info.

I think we are saying the same thing.

As a buyer, I prefer a “2017” over a “2016” even if only one month apart. My car is a Jan 2017 build and I’d certainly list it as a 2017. And if it was a Dec 2016 build, I’d list it as a 2016.

Reactions: kbM3
My car is a Jan 2017 build and I’d certainly list it as a 2017. And if it was a Dec 2016 build, I’d list it as a 2016.

You can’t just it as whatever year you want. The model year is identified in the 10th character of the VIN. Tesla changes this letter when the model year changes just like any other company. This year, they started coming out with 2020s very early on.

Well, there you go. There is no applicable "common knowledge" for Tesla. Since about 90% of all published articles about Tesla consist mostly of lies, and that's where "common knowledge" comes from, only truly foolish people rely on that. Evidence please, or assume it's false.

You just keep repeating garbage without evidence. Tesla never extrapolated anything. Various media sources reported incompletely or incorrectly on quotes from Shanghai Tesla managers, but those managers never extrapolated anything. Please stop it. Stick to facts. Go on, come up with a real source for this extrapolation nonsense. What the "markets heard" were media lies or misdirection, just like the media nonsense about cars being "assembled" rather than actually built in Shanghai. At least you're not spreading that idiocy here too.

I can imagine that you're "over this discussion", and I'm glad to hear it, because you keep posting incorrect information. Please stop it. There's nothing wrong with maintaining silence when you don't know what you're talking about.

On this forum we should adhere to a higher standard. We should be able to expect that what we read is true, or at least has a much higher chance of being true than something we read anywhere else (excepting Tesla's own published documents).

Please quit replying in the main thread. This one was created to explain exactly why you are wrong, without having to annoy the other posters. @sundaymorning welcome to join.

I’ve never had a buyer of a car ask which month my car was sold, and I’ve sold a Tesla.

i asked for that on every Tesla I looked at. I don't think the pricing was any different, I wanted to get a 2014, and all the 2014's with the same mileage were about the same price. BUT, there are two different 2014 cars. Sometime in September autopilot was available, prior it wasn't. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a pre September 2014 with autopilot, and I was told by Tesla they couldn't retrofit one. I don't remember the price now, but it wasn't much to retrofit a late 2014, and they stressed it had to be a September or later build, call with VIN to be certain.

In the end I found a factory autopilot car, Nov 2014

The blue book might have been higher if the car had autopilot, I didn't check, but it still was a 2014 car. If it didn't have autopilot I don't see how it would matter what month it was built.

I am really active in the Porsche community, and I know more than the average Porsche fanatic about them. A 1965 911, which is the first full year of production, (235 cars were built in 1964 and called 1964's, basically a pilot production run) is worth a whole lot more than a 1966. You see people a lot of times asking more and advertising their 1966 as a 1965 build, which it is. Still a 1966, and they get called out every time.

A 1964 with all of its original parts goes for up to a million dollars on a good day. How much did I sell mine for in 1978? I pulled the motor and scrapped it, too much rust for an 18 year old to afford to deal with. $2500 or so.

Back to the Tesla, I wanted to try it out, see what it was like to live with, and I wanted to try autopilot, and I wanted to spend as little as possible. So I had a specific build date I was looking for.

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3
The other thing that didn't occur to me until after I got the car, I was really surprised that November 2014 build was still a 2014 car, but I would think that there may be some value to having a later one, a lot later one, in terms of the battery warranty. If mine as built in January I assume the warranty would expire in January, I assume mine expires in November, close to a year later, same year car.