Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone ever just get it painted with better paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was pickup day for my Model Y! Everyone says that Tesla paint is soft and PPF and/or ceramic coating is needed. Is it a possibility to just have it painted with better paint? Would it still need a coating? Is that cost-prohibitive? Why isn't there demand for better paint from Tesla? Any thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rietman
Coming from a detailing background I have to say it, PPF and ceramic coatings are all up-sell.

Sure PPF works very well, but it’s overpriced due to the labor. PPF typically only protects from rock chips on the front bumper and hood…the rest of the car is straight up-sell, I’m sorry for the folks who disagree but it is what it is. Sure it protects the back half of the car from scratches but put a DA polisher on that for 5-6 passes and it disappears (typically if it’s not an absurd scratch)

Ceramic coatings are also “overpriced” because most push a full paint correction to do it. A solid ceramic coating that’ll last 2-3 years ranges from $150-$250 and the correction is what drives the cost up ($1,000-$1,500 in labor).

Drive the car, PPF costs are getting insane and detailers pockets continue to grow deeper. My 2 cents…

Upvote 0
I did front PPF and Ceramic Pro Gold for about 1700 each. Just refreshed the Ceramic Pro after a year for $80. It really didn't need it but as long as I was having it evaluated, I thought I might as well do it. I will say washing is so much easier. I haven't had to scrub anything yet...just wash, rinse, and dry.

Upvote 0
I actually G-Technique ceramic coat all my vehicles, and I can personally attest it makes a significant difference in minor damage with chips. As for PPF, I find most owners don’t go that route, because they don’t even know that option exists for a car and/or they’re not willing to protect a car they won’t detail/clean anyways.

On sites like these, Tesla owners tend to me more user specific with protecting the wheels/paint. I’m a paint OCD-nerd and personally invest a minimum of 8 hours into a comprehensive paint correction, ceramic and detail. But I don’t expect anyone to be as a detailed as I am. But when I’m done, my work is better than factory.

Reactions: Bouba
Upvote 0