Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have rear brakes frozen when first moving after hours parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a Plaid X Feb '24 and have had this issue from the beginning.

At first I assumed it was similar to my '22 PY in the winter when I had frequent car washes and the brake pad simply froze from ice. But I'm still having this several times a week, sometimes leaving work on a 70°F day, other times leaving for work from our unheated garage in the morning at 50°F. Possibly it's related to having just had a car wash? I have unlimited for $24 a month so often have one on my way to work or on the way home.

The best way to explain it, is I shift into drive and when the vehicle first moves, it's like the rear brakes have to break free before I can move. I don't have to give it lots of pedal, but it seems pretty stuck.

Sounds like it's related to your frequent car washing... I get the same thing for a mile of driving after washing the car.

I had water get into charge port electronics and rust them. Tech said it was due to high pressure car wash nozzles spraying at charger door... I try to wash by hand or go to car wash infrequently. I also dry around charge port (with door open).

After the brake rotors get wet from washing the car, the raw metal surface tends to oxide quickly. If the vehicle isn't driven for a bit, that oxidation "sticks" to the brake pads, causing the brakes to feel like they are engaged until you give it a "push". Once the car is driven again, assuming you apply the brakes, that surface oxidation wears off quickly and everything gets back to normal. You can also get the same affect in colder, wetter environments if the car sits for a day or more. It should be nothing to be concerned about, unless it happens during or immediately after driving at speed - then you might have a sticking brake caliper (usually you'll smell burning brakes, or feel excess heat emanating off the wheel in that area).

You guys wash your cars? Wow.

Just kidding. But maybe not :)

Are you sure it is not just your parking brake releasing? It always in use when the car comes to a stop or is stopped and is released when the throttle is touched. Maybe yours is a tad lazy/ slow and grabs a bit.