Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know what size screw the wall chargers use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone attempted to steal my wall charger, and removed 3 of 4 star screws before being spooked so it's only a matter of time before they come back. Does anyone know what size screw this is so I can order some tamper proof screws.

teslacharger.jpg

Thank you! Mcmaster only has M4 x 0.70mm Thread in 10mm Long, do you know if that will work? Any other ideas to prevent people from stealing chargers?
I'd think 10mm would work, or you could grind 2mm off, or put a 2mm washer under the head. Just be careful the first time you screw them in to be sure they tighten up against the bracket before they tighten up because they bottom out. You could even screw them without the bracket to see if they get stopped before they reach the thickness of the bracket.

I can tell you for sure that on one test unit, a 10mm would be fine on one side and not work on the other! I assume this is because there's some plastic detritus in the back of the hole. I'd wager a small drill(just big enough to fit through the threaded insert) would easly clear out enough to get a 10mm screw in just fine.

Thank you! Mcmaster only has M4 x 0.70mm Thread in 10mm Long, do you know if that will work? Any other ideas to prevent people from stealing chargers?
I would say stay away from the more "common" security screws like tamper-resistant Torx and hex. The bits/drivers to fit them are easily obtainable from most any decent hardware store. I would have recommended tri-groove but McMaster doesn't appear to carry them in metric the last time I checked (looked a few days ago when I was investigating security screws for license plates - a neighbor on Nextdoor had their plate stolen last week).

edit: And maybe wire up one of the phases to one of the screws (insulated to the rest of the body of the WC) and hope that the thief is not using an isolated tool?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch