Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autosteer work in US-imported cars outside the US?

Does Autosteer in your US-imported tesla work in a non-US country?

• Yes, in Europe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, in Middle East

• Yes, in Asia

• Yes, in Australia

• Yes, in other non-US region

• No (please mention the country)

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to ship my model 3 from the U.S. to Saudi Arabia. My understanding is that Autosteer (lane keeping) only requires clearly defined lane lines to function. So availability of navigation, maps, sim, etc should not affect Autosteer if my understanding is correct.

Can anyone please confirm or disprove this? especially if your Tesla is a US-imported car in other part of the world.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t you be better off selling your car here and buying a used one in Saudi Arabia? Then you don’t have to worry about regional differences, charging, etc.
Thanks to Tesla, they have lowered their prices multiple this year causing the value of teslas in the used car market to depreciate too much. My car is a very clean 2020 Model 3 Long Range AWD fully loaded specs with 10,000 miles + FSD and no offer I have received so far is in the forty-thousand range. I would lose too much money if I sell it the in the current market.

Regarding the charging, there are no Tesla "superchargers" in Saudi Arabia yet, so I would not lose on that. There are level-2 chargers so I bought a type-2 to type-1 converter. I am just not sure how much of software features I would lose. I keep hearing conflicting answers from Tesla service centers. So I hope people with actual importing experience could answer this poll.

People who voted 'No', could you please mention the country in the comment section? That would be helpful.

Also were Autosteer (lane keeping) working in your car in the US before you shipped it and then stopped working in the new destination?

Last edited:
Im pretty sure the answer is "no, no autopilot features are going to work out of market", but you can look through the sim swap threads I quoted in the following thread.

Im pretty sure the answer is "no, no autopilot features are going to work out of market", but you can look through the sim swap threads I quoted in the following thread.

Thanks. I do expect navigation not to work due to sim and other regional settings. However, I am not sure about Autosteer as it mainly depends on lane markings so it is not clear why it needs a sim swap.

I came across this link by someone who imported their car from the US to Europe and they mentioned that navigation did not work but Autosteer did work:
Moving with your Tesla Model 3 from the U.S. to Europe? Here’s how. | by Marina Roganovic | Medium

Last edited:
Thanks. I do expect navigation not to work due to sim and other regional settings. However, I am not sure about Autosteer as it mainly depends on lane markings so it is not clear why it needs a sim swap.

I came across this link by someone who imported their car from the US to Europe and they mentioned that navigation did not work but Autosteer did work:
Moving with your Tesla Model 3 from the U.S. to Europe? Here’s how. | by Marina Roganovic | Medium

It seemed to work in Hà Nội, Việt Nam in this video until it gave up with a red steering wheel siren alert.

This hyperlink demonstrates that Autopilot works fine in Tesla-unserviceable location (Hà Nội, Việt Nam) as long as there's a lane line painted on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks to Tesla, they have lowered their prices multiple this year causing the value of teslas in the used car market to depreciate too much. My car is a very clean 2020 Model 3 Long Range AWD fully loaded specs with 10,000 miles + FSD and no offer I have received so far is in the forty-thousand range. I would lose too much money if I sell it the in the current market.
How much will it cost you to ship the car to Saudi Arabia?

Reactions: XPsionic
How much will it cost you to ship the car to Saudi Arabia?
$2600 to $3000 before insurance. Tesla does not have a sales center (or service center) in Saudi Arabia. The nearest one is in UAE (Dubai). So even if I wanted to purchase a Tesla in Saudi Arabia I would have to order and import one from Dubai and pay shipping fees and similar import taxes.

It seemed to work in Hà Nội, Việt Nam in this video until it gave up with a red steering wheel siren alert.

This hyperlink demonstrates that Autopilot works fine in Tesla-unserviceable location (Hà Nội, Việt Nam) as long as there's a lane line painted on the road.
Thank you for your input. I wonder if these cars in the videos you mentioned were imported from US, China or maybe Europe. Do you know?

Because I have a confirmed answer (and videos) that Autosteer works for teslas imported from Dubai to Saudi Arabia. What I am not sure about are cars imported from the US to the Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
...imported from US...

Yes. The driver thanked the passenger, Thịnh [ting], for importing this Tesla Model 3 all the way from "Mỹ" [mee] which means "the USA" in Vietnamese language.

1683046750811.png

Last edited: