Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD is is tied to the used car ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at a used card which says the FSD 'included package' in the Software console, does this mean it is enabled with the vehicle or can it be transferred by the previous owner to a different car ? I did see Tesla allowed for a one time transfer before, hence the apprehension that the feature could be disabled at any point if I buy the used (2022 model) car.

Thanks in advance for all your valuable inputs which help me in deciding whether to buy or not.

I would be careful if you purchase a Tesla with FSD from a dealer. I was told twice from Tesla directly that unless the sale is a private party, they will remove the FSD shortly after the purchase. That is reason that some of the Used car dealers are not promoting FSD on their inventory even if they are equipped. They fully understand that after the sale it's going to be removed by Tesla. I almost purchased a used MX with FSD, but when I contacted Tesla with VIN they explained to my that it would absolutely be removed once I take ownership.....Only private party sales will stick with car according them

Upvote 0
Basic point: If Tesla comes into actual possession of a Tesla, as in, “We’ve got title!”, then they can do whatever they want with the car. Up to and definitely including removing any paid-for add-ons, such as FSD, EAP, acceleration boost, and possibly free-for-life Supercharging. (I think I’ve heard some arguments about whether that last is tied to the original owner or the car.)

Some time back some punters bought used Teslas that, indeed, at the time they were bought, had FSD installed. And the punters paid for the cars with that expectation. For some reason, after the punters had paid for the cars and received title, Tesla reached out and removed FSD with no warning. The news of this reached several outlets, class action lawsuits were being readied, but finally somebody sane within Tesla realized what was going on and restored FSD to all the affected.

Nobody’s quite sure, but it may have been that some Tesla service centers were either going over the cars pre-sale for the used car dealers; or these were used cars owned by Tesla that they forgot to clear FSD off of; or some other situation.

But if one finds a used Tesla for sale, in or out of a Tesla facility, and that phrase, “FSD Included Package” is in there, then the package is in there and locked to the VIN. Just like the paint and anything stowed in the trunk.

Upvote 0
I would be careful if you purchase a Tesla with FSD from a dealer. I was told twice from Tesla directly that unless the sale is a private party, they will remove the FSD shortly after the purchase. That is reason that some of the Used car dealers are not promoting FSD on their inventory even if they are equipped. They fully understand that after the sale it's going to be removed by Tesla. I almost purchased a used MX with FSD, but when I contacted Tesla with VIN they explained to my that it would absolutely be removed once I take ownership.....Only private party sales will stick with car according them
Thank you for the note, glad that I bought it from a private seller without knowing this.

Upvote 0
Basic point: If Tesla comes into actual possession of a Tesla, as in, “We’ve got title!”, then they can do whatever they want with the car. Up to and definitely including removing any paid-for add-ons, such as FSD, EAP, acceleration boost, and possibly free-for-life Supercharging. (I think I’ve heard some arguments about whether that last is tied to the original owner or the car.)

Some time back some punters bought used Teslas that, indeed, at the time they were bought, had FSD installed. And the punters paid for the cars with that expectation. For some reason, after the punters had paid for the cars and received title, Tesla reached out and removed FSD with no warning. The news of this reached several outlets, class action lawsuits were being readied, but finally somebody sane within Tesla realized what was going on and restored FSD to all the affected.

Nobody’s quite sure, but it may have been that some Tesla service centers were either going over the cars pre-sale for the used car dealers; or these were used cars owned by Tesla that they forgot to clear FSD off of; or some other situation.

But if one finds a used Tesla for sale, in or out of a Tesla facility, and that phrase, “FSD Included Package” is in there, then the package is in there and locked to the VIN. Just like the paint and anything stowed in the trunk.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, so in a nutshell if someone is buying from a private seller then it is for sure can be assumed that it stays with the car. This is the same info I confirmed when I spoke to someone is Tesla service center while I was scheduling a pre purchase inspection.

Upvote 0