Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved: FSD Transfer Fight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I took possession of my MYP in October they told me I had a week/1000 miles to reject it. Dublin, CA location.
Lets make sure we are using the same terminology here.

"Reject" = Return the car to Tesla, get your money back, void the transaction.

"Repair" = Notify Tesla that there are issues you would like repaired on the car. Its my understanding that you get some amount of time / miles to notify Tesla you would like something repaired on the car. This does not include returning the car to them and getting your money back, however.

Are you stating that Tesla told you that you had 1 week / 1000 miles to return the car to them and get your money back / completely void the transaction?

Not get my money back, but could reject the car completely for another car.

Difference in terms, but "reject" was what they used. 🍻
This seems like a miscommunication of some sort, when I picked up in Dec 2022 in the SF Bay area, there was no such thing communicated to me but they did say I had a few days or 100 miles to report issues for them to fix.

This seems like a miscommunication of some sort, when I picked up in Dec 2022 in the SF Bay area, there was no such thing communicated to me but they did say I had a few days or 100 miles to report issues for them to fix.
This must be for minor items like inconsistent panel gaps that would not be considered a failure. Obviously, any functional issue would be covered by the warranty for much longer!

Perhaps some states have consumer laws that permit a car buyer to return the car for a refund within a few days of purchase. Sort of a 'morning after' protection for high pressure sales tactics?

This must be for minor items like inconsistent panel gaps that would not be considered a failure. Obviously, any functional issue would be covered by the warranty for much longer!

Perhaps some states have consumer laws that permit a car buyer to return the car for a refund within a few days of purchase. Sort of a 'morning after' protection for high pressure sales tactics?

@DIYPSCM has their location as California, and we have no such cooling off period laws here for car purchases. Of this I am absolutely certain. Tesla did allow car returns in 2018 when I bought mine (from memory it was 7 days but someone will likely correct me if I am mis remembering that). Sometime in 2019 they stopped "bring your car back in 7 days" thing.

Anyway, before someone says I am saying @DIYPSCM is not telling the truth, I am not saying that. I feel that either one of these things are true:

1. We missed some policy change around tesla allowing someone to return a car and pick another one that many people are not reporting, or..

2. There is a misunderstanding between what the service center ment by "reject" and what @DIYPSCM understood "reject" to mean, or

3. Someone in Tesla was either mis informed and shared incorrect information, or deliberately shared incorrect information.

Anyway, none of this really has much to do with the OP, with the exception that the OP also seems to have the impression that they has / had 30 days to reject a car too. When I googled " Tesla cancels return policy", the first article that showed up mentioning it was canceled was in October of 2020, so my "sometime in 2019" was not correct, and should be changed to "policy canceled October of 2020".

Tesla online shop purchases ( things like the wall connector, adapters, etc etc) have a 30 day return policy.

Sounds like yours worked out. I signed and submitted the transfer agreement on Aug 3. FSD came off the 3 on Aug 8. We purchased and took possession of the S on Aug 10th. We sold the 3 on the 11th.
so you still owned the 3 (on the 10th thru the 11th) after you had possession of the new S on the 10th, and left the tesla store with the S? if so you did not violate the condition of still owning the old car. did you remove the old 3 from your Tesla account on the 10th or something? why is Tesla saying there is a overlap gap where you did not own both at the same time?

FSD isn't worth $12k in a used market...closer to $3k, but I understand your point. It's odd. I think you could win in court (maybe), but I also see how what you did technically violated the FSD transfer agreement.

I'd continue to try to escalate with Tesla before going to court.
Closing out this thread. After numerous exchanges and presenting documentation, Tesla did put FSD on the new S. Appreciate all the input.

Hijacking this thread for a similar question!

I am trying to sell my car private party. I have a buyer lined up, and I picked up my new car today. Once I accepted the delivery the FSD transfer happened instantly! I have confirmation on both of the cars that it's been transferred from one to the other.

However, the FSD transfer agreement says I need to have both cars under my name for "at least 48 hours."

I want to start on the paperwork for selling the old car now!

Who were you able to talk to about the transfer?
Closing out this thread. After numerous exchanges and presenting documentation, Tesla did put FSD on the new S. Appreciate all the input.

Just to close the loop on my question here. I went to the delivery center and talked to a delivery assistant. She said that once you've received the email confirmation that FSD transfer has taken place, you should be good to go on the sale. In my case, the transfer was instant once I took delivery of the new car I guess.
Hijacking this thread for a similar question!

I am trying to sell my car private party. I have a buyer lined up, and I picked up my new car today. Once I accepted the delivery the FSD transfer happened instantly! I have confirmation on both of the cars that it's been transferred from one to the other.

However, the FSD transfer agreement says I need to have both cars under my name for "at least 48 hours."

I want to start on the paperwork for selling the old car now!

Who were you able to talk to about the transfer?