Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Lifetime Wh/Mi matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its important because a car with 100k km and 190wh/km vs a car with 140k km and 150wh/km has had much more stress and increased cycles on its battery.

Actually those two scenarios would indicate almost identical battery usage. The 1st scenario is 19 mWh total, the second is 21 mWh.

In the end, it probably doesn't really matter. If you only keep the car for a few years, nobody will be looking at that, and the battery will still be under warranty when you sell. If you keep the car for a long time (10+ years), it won't be worth much anyways regardless of how well the battery was maintained.

Really depends on journey type.

A car with most journeys on a freeway at 75+mph is going to be a lot worse than one driven at 40mph usually.

And a car that does a lot of short trips is going to be higher than one at 50+m trips (there is a startup drain)..

Wouldn't be high on the list of things to check.

Reactions: Fistobar
Here's my take, assuming same number of miles. First of all, a higher Wh/mi rating means the battery pack has had more charging cycles, but the better question is what is considered a normal range. Second of all, it's impossible to tell by that figure how the car was driven; could have been hard, fast, short trips with HVAC on, when cold, or a combination of any or all of those. And finally, even if the Wh/mi rating is low, that owner might have 'abused' the battery by letting it fully discharge, by charging to 100% often, etc.

Bottom line is if the car doesn't have a life time meter of average Wh/mi (owner reset all trip meters), a lifetime charging graph with minimum and maximum %, and other such meters, it'd be impossible to guess which is the better car to buy. So if I was buying used (I don't buy used), I'd rely on the same system I'd use with ICE cars: buy from a mature original owner, and ask all kinds of questions, and you should be able to tell how the car was used. I have to say the great thing about EVs is you basically don't have to worry about the motors on the mechanical side of things; just the battery pack, and how it was treated.

Higher wh/mi may indicate that a car is less efficient than others, has been driven harder, and/or the battery has gone through more charging cycles per mile. I would prefer to buy a car with a lower wh/mi than a higher one.
I just picked up my new Model 3. Estimate that I have only driven 150 miles. My wh/mi says 3,357! What the heck could this mean?

I just picked up my new Model 3. Estimate that I have only driven 150 miles. My wh/mi says 3,357! What the heck could this mean?

You would likely need to take a picture of that so that people can help you determine what you are seeing. In general, though, if you looked at that after flooring it, that would be expected (with "that" being strange wh/mi numbers).