Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 have GPS Enabled Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the worst things to actually use on the Model S. This happens *ALL THE TIME*...

I'll be driving up to my driveway. I approach my house in a way that causes me to turn *left* into my driveway. To do this safely, I need to cross the street and the sidewalk, watching for oncoming cars and kids on scooters (sidewalk). While doing that, I notice the garage door is already open; I have to try and hit that stupid button that appears on the screen to 'cancel' auto open while not taking my eyes off the road. I'm almost *never* successful. (I err to the side of watching the road.. go figure). Cruise up my driveway watching my garage door close. Then, for some bizarre reason, if I pull TOO CLOSE to my garage door, I can't open it with the Tesla, I have to back up a bit (watch out for the scooter kids on the sidewalk again). Then re-open my garage door... AAAARGH.
Right, so, turn off auto-open. Done! :D

It would be definitely nicer if garage door openers had separate open and close commands, then
Read the post I was replying to. I was replying to 'Skipping' auto open.

I'm just saying that trying to cancel 'auto open' is a bit of a UI fail. Auto open works great when all the conditions are correct, but when they aren't... it's pretty annoying.

I sort of agree. I mean partly you have to choose whether to manually invoke homelink every time you come home like other cars, or manually cancel it on the occasions you don't want it. That said, the period of time you have to cancel it is short and the target to hit is small. The UI could definitely be improved. When I know I don't want the garage to open I find myself hovering my finger over the screen as I drive down the street waiting to stab the button the moment it appears so I don't miss my chance.

It would be definitely nicer if garage door openers had separate open and close commands, then

I sort of agree. I mean partly you have to choose whether to manually invoke homelink every time you come home like other cars, or manually cancel it on the occasions you don't want it. That said, the period of time you have to cancel it is short and the target to hit is small. The UI could definitely be improved. When I know I don't want the garage to open I find myself hovering my finger over the screen as I drive down the street waiting to stab the button the moment it appears so I don't miss my chance.
Drifting away from the topic a bit, I am seriously considering changing my system to a IFTTT / openHAB / myQ solution where I have openhab rules that trigger via IFTTT when I arrive home that check the state of the garage door and only open it if it's closed.