Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the wall mount charger really prevent water entering around the charge handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a wall mount charger along our driveway outside. I know it is supposed to be waterproof, and It's semi-protected by an overhang, but I have a hard time believing water won't get into the slot that holds the handle, then into the charge port... I'm considering putting a circular piece of neoprene rubber with a slit in it over the opening the handle goes in. Any thoughts? Is there anything like this in the after market?

I just installed a wall mount charger along our driveway outside. I know it is supposed to be waterproof, and It's semi-protected by an overhang, but I have a hard time believing water won't get into the slot that holds the handle, then into the charge port... I'm considering putting a circular piece of neoprene rubber with a slit in it over the opening the handle goes in. Any thoughts? Is there anything like this in the after market?
Well it seems like a good design for most weather cases as the business end of the handle is angled up into a cavity. But this will not work if there is a storm such that water travels up because of wind. I've not heard of a system like you're proposing. It's sounds like a great idea for extreme weather proofing.

There's certainly no problem with adding protection from rain. However, there are hundreds (thousands?) of outdoor installs of wall connectors that indicate that it's really not a problem. For that matter, Supercharger plugs aren't really protected any better and they don't seem to have a problem with rain, either.

I think that water getting into the end of the plug is probably not a big deal, otherwise it would not be practical to charge the car in the rain.

From the NACS spec sheet:
"7.1.1 When unmated to the inlet, the connector shall withstand an IP67 water and dust test as described in IEC 60529.

7.1.2 Upon completion of the test, no water or debris shall be present on live parts inside the connector enclosure. Compliance is checked via a high potential test between HV+ and HV-, and HV and ground/low voltage at the rated test voltage."

So the connector has some weather resistance already even when left unplugged. I remember a teardown that the mobile connector adapter end (the one where you swap the plugs for example 5-15 vs 14-50) has drainage holes to avoid the water pooling in the contacts, but not sure if the same applies to the Tesla charge connector.

You may want to do your own test perhaps with a hose (with a valve to control flow of water, obviously don't drown it in water) to see check whatever rubber piece you add might actually impede the original water drainage of the of the design (and if there is any in the first place).