Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your car fully charge to 310+ miles of range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Tesla corporate:
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacity, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates. In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed over the air to the car when available. In the meantime I would recommend scheduling a service appointment through your Tesla account online and our technicians can assist in a kind of re-calibration for the range estimates you are current seeing.
Best regards,
XXX, Executive Care

THANK YOU!!
I've been looking for this kind of official information for months! It's a big relief knowing Tesla recognizes the issue and is working on a fix.
How did you get a response from corporate? Did it originate with a service visit?

Just for reference I'm picking up my Model 3 (AWD) June 12. So if charged to 90% it should say 275 miles or 85%=264 or 80%=248 or 75%=233? I'm guessing delivery is usually at 90% or are you asked ahead of time?

It varies depending upon the delivery center, how busy they are and how attentive the DS assigned to your delivery is. If you need a particular amount of range to get home, it wouldn't hurt to specifically mention that before your delivery.

Both of our Model 3's came with around 230 miles of range if I recall correctly. On the delivery of our first Model 3, we were so excited with the new car and how amazing it was we wanted to try out Supercharging so we stopped at one along the way even though we didn't need the range to get home comfortably. At the Supercharger we met a friendly Model S owner who helped us out with tips for Supercharging (and he was excited to help new Model 3 owners).

Enjoy your new Model 3!

It varies depending upon the delivery center, how busy they are and how attentive the DS assigned to your delivery is. If you need a particular amount of range to get home, it wouldn't hurt to specifically mention that before your delivery.....Enjoy your new Model 3!
No I just wanted to be able to verify the percentage to millage as correct. I live in Atlanta but do plan to head out and cut through the north GA mountains and then back. Probably be about 100 miles or so. Also I have been driving a Cadillac ELR (extended range EV) for the last 2 years so I'm already EV ready.:eek::D

Just for kicks a ran a little spreadsheet table. Does this look correct?

100% 310
95% 295
90% 275
85% 264
80% 248
75% 233
70% 217
65% 202
60% 186
50% 155
40% 124
35% 109
30% 93
25% 78
20% 62
15% 47
10% 31
5% 16
3% 9

Reactions: StealthP3D
The easiest way to avoid the whole worry is to turn off miles and use % instead. I gave up on the mileage a long time ago. Yes my 100% would hit 310 on my AWD when I used miles. Now I only use % since the miles was never accurate given my high speed limit roads (70-80MPH depending on the road). Now I just do the math in my head where 10% is 25 miles. Yes if the weather is nice it usually exceeds this, but it is all I count on. If I am going to drive 100 miles I need more than 40%, preferably 45% to get to the next charger.

I only count on my car to go 250 miles. On the coldest days in the winter it was a challenge to go 250 (had to drive 55 on 75 MPH roads). But, when it is over about 45 degrees it is easy to go 25 miles for 10%.

If my watts per mile is averaging over 300 I will slow down to get it to 300. This was really only an issue in Dec-Feb around here where it gets cold. The other day I did a 90 mile trip and it was only 250 watts, at 75 MPH. But, I will just stick to 25 miles per 10% to be safe.

The easiest way to avoid the whole worry is to turn off miles and use % instead....
Wish you could get both since there is a plenty of room. In my ELR I have a bar graph that while not a true percentage gives the indication while also showing milage. Another thing I like that I wish the Tesla would show is the kW power usage/regen. On the right the graph goes up (yellow) as you use power and it says how many kW. Also in regen the graph goes negative (and turns green) and gives the regen power in kWs. I like this a lot better than the simple bar the 3 has. Would love to see Tesla enhance this.
IMG_3416.jpg

No I just wanted to be able to verify the percentage to millage as correct. I live in Atlanta but do plan to head out and cut through the north GA mountains and then back. Probably be about 100 miles or so. Also I have been driving a Cadillac ELR (extended range EV) for the last 2 years so I'm already EV ready.:eek::D

Just for kicks a ran a little spreadsheet table. Does this look correct?

100% 310
95% 295
90% 275
85% 264
80% 248
75% 233
70% 217
65% 202
60% 186
50% 155
40% 124
35% 109
30% 93
25% 78
20% 62
15% 47
10% 31
5% 16
3% 9

10% of 310 is 31, so subtract that from 310 and you get 279. That's what mine charged to at the Supercharger last week when I set it to charge to 90%, my first charge.

10% of 310 is 31, so subtract that from 310 and you get 279. That's what mine charged to at the Supercharger last week when I set it to charge to 90%, my first charge.
Yea THX, that is just a typo and will edit. As you can see all the others are correct. I had a spacing problem and think I backspaced over the 9 and then hit 5.;)

EDIT: Must be past the edit time so it must stay.