Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Mode Improvement Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earl is on it!

Earl of Frunkpuppy on Twitter

Annotation 2019-06-10 102927.jpg
View attachment 417699

All good points but I will never understand people who leave their dog in a car- even for one minute. My dog is a dog, no certificates, no blue ribbons and I would NEVER leave her alone in a car. NEVER EVER.. EVERRRR

Ok tons of "disagrees".. I get it ppl - you all enjoy leaving your dogs alone in cars. I DO NOT- feel free to disagree alllll day long. It's my opinion and it wont change.

Kids, animals, elderly should NEVER be left alone. How do you know you're coming back? Seriously.. we are not invincible!!.. with the crazies in the world today I'd rather leave my dog home than risk injury in a car. To me it's like locking a child in the bathroom. It's pretty much the most dangerous of scenarios.

Did you hear about the dog that HUNG HIMSELF BY HIS COLLAR while waiting for his owner to get his Latte?!!

TRUE STORY!!

Dog Mode is my favorite feature in this car (used to wish this was an option in my previous car...). But one HUGE oversight by Tesla... Dog Mode DOES NOT lock out the windows. Several times, I have returned to find a window rolled down after my dog stepped on the button. Two obvious concerns here... 1) Falkor jumping out the window, and 2) a dognapper capitalizing on the opportunity (yes, that is a thing here and Falkor is a purebred CKCS so a prime target).

My fix is to use a felt pad to cover over the window buttons. Hopefully it is a temporary fix while we wait for a s/w fix from Tesla.
Just go with nti settings and.lock your window buttons before exiting

All good points but I will never understand people who leave their dog in a car- even for one minute. My dog is a dog, no certificates, no blue ribbons and I would NEVER leave her alone in a car. NEVER EVER.. EVERRRR
Amen Runner! Every one of mine is a rescue and they're much happier hanging with me. Not sitting in a car .... Even best intentions, you go for a few seconds, have an attack or are attacked, no one knows dogs situation. Please, take them with you if possible, if not leave them home.

Please share why you're so opposed to this idea? I have a dog and I use dog mode for short duration chores on medium temp days. Never on scorching hot days. Please educate me/us on your concerns.

And starting a comment with "I will never understand" is never a great leadin because it basically says you don't/can't understand the other side of an issue. And there are always two sides to every issue. See in this case I'm very open to understanding your side of this particular coin.

He's adorable!
I normally take my dog wherever I go, but when on long trips, he gets his potty break first (a walk around the supercharger areas), and then I (normally) visit a store or restaurant to do my own business. To each there own. If you are able to take your pet inside the facilities with you, then, of course, that is the best option. Cheers!

The remote App should show if any windows windows is open and provides a control similar to the seats warming feature.

Sometime a rear passenger might forget to close the window or even the driver might hit one of the windows switches when exiting.
We SO need a window monitor/app alert! I hate having to blame the grandkids when I forget to put them up before it rains.

Reactions: Guy V
My old dog much prefers sleeping in the back of one of them 'lectric cars, to:
1) Sleeping in a tent at The North Rim of the Grand Canyon
2) Walking around on hot asphalt or concrete when it's 100°F+
3) Being away from his pack leader for an extended period of time, home alone.

Sometimes, where legality is a concern, defense of necessity comes into play.

I understand the concerns about leaving a dog in the car. But my "velcro" Aussie loved going in the car wherever I was going. I mean eyes wide open, ears up, with a look that said "you wouldn't possibly leave me home would you". Whenever possible, I'd bring her in stores or destination with me but obviously not always possible.

Pre Tesla, couldn't do that in the summer (and even many late Spring and early Fall days).

So, while there's a risk, you have to weigh against the enjoyment it brings the dog.

14B984DB-8E37-4544-A203-DBCEE8848E95.jpeg
Dog Mode is my favorite feature in this car (used to wish this was an option in my previous car...). But one HUGE oversight by Tesla... Dog Mode DOES NOT lock out the windows. Several times, I have returned to find a window rolled down after my dog stepped on the button. Two obvious concerns here... 1) Falkor jumping out the window, and 2) a dognapper capitalizing on the opportunity (yes, that is a thing here and Falkor is a purebred CKCS so a prime target).

My fix is to use a felt pad to cover over the window buttons. Hopefully it is a temporary fix while we wait for a s/w fix from Tesla.

I would suggest you get a doggie car seat and then he/she can’t do that! Love dog mode!! Karl just hangs out in the nice cool comfy car in his car seat.

Kids, animals, elderly should NEVER be left alone. How do you know you're coming back? Seriously.. we are not invincible!!..

When at home do you go out to get the mail? You could get hit by a bus and never come back.
Hey, sometimes you just have to live life. You can't take every possible low probability event into account every moment of every day.

I get that. But my dog would rather go with me and stay in the car, then be left alone at home. In fact, when I was living in a small apartment, my previous dog and my cat slept together in my car. It's cool at night. I let them out in the morning. They were perfectly happy.