Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2022 MS LR owner, very happy compared with M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very new to Tesla ownership (but loads experience with Teslas - many family members have them), just purchased a 2020 M3 LR a couple weeks ago for my daily driver mainly because I wanted a car to occupy my outside parking spot as an added monitoring system and (hopefully) crime deterrent with sentry mode..

Well, I couldn't get over how tiny and go-kart like the M3 felt (maybe why it's so popular and alluring to many), and how it felt more like an appliance than a car for some reason. Maybe it's because the car has no driver dash display, how minimal the interior is, or the visibility is SO good I felt like I was sitting on the car. I also didn't appreciate how unnecessarily firm the suspension felt which would rattle the car over the slightest bump, and my lower back couldn't get comfortable with the seats...

Enter the 2022 Model S LR which I found used in the exact configuration I was planning to order from Tesla, black on black with yoke and arachnid wheels with no FSD

Pros:

- This feels like a car to me. Maybe it's the dash display, exterior looks, the yoke, or how it feels more like an immersive cockpit surrounding me, but this feels like a car
- Missed the feeling of a larger car which I really wanted, but did not want X or Y for a SUV, Model S looks and feels sleek
- Massive cargo space
- Excited to find reasons to drive again
- Seats feel very comfortable
- Interior feels far more premium (build quality aside) - rear seat display, larger main display, different textures and some stitching here and there
- Yoke... love it

Cons:

- Build quality actually feels a step *down* from the Model 3 even though it's 2 years newer, some groans and rattles I can hear in the cabin, biggest one is whenever I move my butt in the driver's seat the seat hinge housing next to the driver's adjustment buttons seems to groan and make a noise, center console main compartment feels flimsy
- Front passenger door handle is staying extended out with light on even when the car is locked, so the handle is malfunctioning (have mobile service scheduled for tomorrow)..far prefer the M3 door handle or even MX just press strip to open
- Yoke buttons just aren't consistent enough in feedback and execution when pressed, seems to be a very common issue

Overall, I was nervous spending the cash to upgrade for yet another Tesla sedan when these things seem to depreciate like crazy across the board, but even with the cons I've been loving the car so far
yokimage.png

I just gave my wife my 2020 m3 standard range plus and took delivery of 2023 model s LR in November. I love the S so much more. It's much quieter and faster. The model 3 is still a lot of fun to drive as you said it's like a go kart with a ton of power. There were some rattles and creaks in the S that I was able to fix adding foam various places and looking at this forum. The S's cold weather performance is so much better and I've been able to drive it like 5 hours in freezing cold temps mostly above 70 without charging it. It also looks a lot better. I was also able to fit 4 people and 3 full sized suitcases and 2 carry on's along with some book bags which is more than you can fit in mid size SUVs. I finally tested insane mode briefly and it is insane! I drive it completely different than I drove the 3. Probably drive it more safely.

Reactions: aerodyne
Very new to Tesla ownership (but loads experience with Teslas - many family members have them), just purchased a 2020 M3 LR a couple weeks ago for my daily driver mainly because I wanted a car to occupy my outside parking spot as an added monitoring system and (hopefully) crime deterrent with sentry mode..

Well, I couldn't get over how tiny and go-kart like the M3 felt (maybe why it's so popular and alluring to many), and how it felt more like an appliance than a car for some reason. Maybe it's because the car has no driver dash display, how minimal the interior is, or the visibility is SO good I felt like I was sitting on the car. I also didn't appreciate how unnecessarily firm the suspension felt which would rattle the car over the slightest bump, and my lower back couldn't get comfortable with the seats...

Enter the 2022 Model S LR which I found used in the exact configuration I was planning to order from Tesla, black on black with yoke and arachnid wheels with no FSD

Pros:

- This feels like a car to me. Maybe it's the dash display, exterior looks, the yoke, or how it feels more like an immersive cockpit surrounding me, but this feels like a car
- Missed the feeling of a larger car which I really wanted, but did not want X or Y for a SUV, Model S looks and feels sleek
- Massive cargo space
- Excited to find reasons to drive again
- Seats feel very comfortable
- Interior feels far more premium (build quality aside) - rear seat display, larger main display, different textures and some stitching here and there
- Yoke... love it

Cons:

- Build quality actually feels a step *down* from the Model 3 even though it's 2 years newer, some groans and rattles I can hear in the cabin, biggest one is whenever I move my butt in the driver's seat the seat hinge housing next to the driver's adjustment buttons seems to groan and make a noise, center console main compartment feels flimsy
- Front passenger door handle is staying extended out with light on even when the car is locked, so the handle is malfunctioning (have mobile service scheduled for tomorrow)..far prefer the M3 door handle or even MX just press strip to open
- Yoke buttons just aren't consistent enough in feedback and execution when pressed, seems to be a very common issue

Overall, I was nervous spending the cash to upgrade for yet another Tesla sedan when these things seem to depreciate like crazy across the board, but even with the cons I've been loving the car so far View attachment 1016310
My MS may have squeaks and rattles but due to hearing loss ... no problemo!

Love the yoke too! However I must disagree with your assessment of the build quality. My 2023 MSLR is a considerably better build than wife’s Model 3

Go-kart is good analogy. Model 3 has me feeling the road. I don’t wanna do that. YMMV.
Unfortunately, build consistency is not Tesla's strong point. Your MSLR may well be better than your wife's M3 and the OP's M3 may well be better than his MS.

Unfortunately, build consistency is not Tesla's strong point. Your MSLR may well be better than your wife's M3 and the OP's M3 may well be better than his MS.
Build quality on my 2017 MS was excellent and the ride was great. I had to get rid of it after 7 years as the 8 year battery warranty was up soon and there was definitely a 5-7% battery degradation. I sold it to Carvana and bought the MYLR and the build quality is actually excellent. I joked about the panel gaps with the Tesla rep at the service center when I was taking delivery and he said that most of that problem came from the Fremont factory and he has not seen any problems with the Austin plant. I guess it depends where your car was built.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah, regarding Tesla build quality it is indeed a hit or miss. My 2022 Model 3 LR has been excellent, no issues so far (knocking on wood) whereas my friend's 2023 Model Y has been now three times to the shop for a rattle and they still could not figure out the source :(

The S/X lost USS after January 2023 builds.
That is correct. The USS are gone in my MYLR a well and the truth is the camera based detection is not half as good as the USS. I believe it is going to be like that until they come up with software fix. Someone mentioned that people who bought the EAP on 2024 MY have not been able to use it as most of the features are not available. Is that even legal for Tesla to take money and offer an apology saying we are working on it? How are they getting away with it? F Elon Musk. I used to be a big fan boy but I detest him now.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I get it.. the MS is just a really good looking, sexy car despite its age. It is timeless. I love it, especially the 17” screen and hatchback, and have planned to buy one, but for some reason my wife hates the car. She drives a YP that she loves and is much more agreeable to buying a M3. But, I have to say, the highland 3 takes away some of the disappointment of not getting the S. Can’t wait for the new M3P to drop!

Reactions: sleepydoc