Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog mode overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
Parked in a parking garage at 48F, set to 66F in dog mode. Came back 2 hours later and it over 80F from the wave of hot air that came and my dog not happy. Phone and screen showed 66F and said heat was on for the dog. I have never used dog mode in a heating situation, only when it is hot outside. Anyone else have this happen to them. In our local group one person thought it got up to 100, don't know if it was a heating situation like mine or cooling. I turned off the HVAC and cracked the windows for the dog.

Yeah we also have that problem. 66 is too warm for our gal in the winter, and it won't switch back fast enough to cold. It will also in the sun heat up a bit.
We use the S in the winter for this reason. She can't open the doors on the S, and we leave it to keep at 60. Summer 66 is fine when it's 90 out we use the 3.

On the 3 I think if you leave it to keep they can open the doors.

That is certainly concerning and worth getting Tesla's attention. They definitely don't want "dead dog in a Tesla" in the news.

Though I don't think I'd worry about creating heat for a dog. So long as they're not in the rain or wind they should be able to hunker down with temperatures into near freezing. A car is an amazing shelter from cold. A dog bed in the floor of the backseat would work wonders.

Summers on the other hand, it's imperative to keep a vehicle cool for the dog, along with good airflow.

Reactions: Skavatar
Parked in a parking garage at 48F, set to 66F in dog mode. Came back 2 hours later and it over 80F from the wave of hot air that came and my dog not happy. Phone and screen showed 66F and said heat was on for the dog. I have never used dog mode in a heating situation, only when it is hot outside. Anyone else have this happen to them. In our local group one person thought it got up to 100, don't know if it was a heating situation like mine or cooling. I turned off the HVAC and cracked the windows for the dog.
What breed of dog do you have? It should be fine at 48F.

Reactions: Skavatar and Ed243
What breed of dog do you have? It should be fine at 48F.
Yes, but…

I agree that most dogs would be comfortable and fine in cool conditions. However, Dog mode does several things other than heat/cool the car. The screen displays that dog mode is active to reassure those strangers who otherwise would break into the car to “save” the dog. Also Dog Mode allows use of the cameras to monitor the dog from the app. So simply not using Dog Mode would mean walking away from very nice features.

Tesla needs to address what ever faults manifest during use of Dog Mode.

I use the Tesla app to check the interior temperature of the car whenever I’m using Dog Mode with the dog actually in the car, and I do so at least every 10 minutes, mostly every 5. I’ve not done this for more than about 20 minutes total…the dog is far too precious to leave like this, and strangers wandering by far too likely to panic seeing an unattended dog in a vehicle, so much so that they won’t bother to read or even look at the screen display. And then there are those who steal dogs.

I suggest that two hours without even checking interior temps is far too long.

I use the Tesla app to check the interior temperature of the car whenever I’m using Dog Mode with the dog actually in the car, and I do so at least every 10 minutes, mostly every 5. I’ve not done this for more than about 20 minutes total…the dog is far too precious to leave like this, and strangers wandering by far too likely to panic seeing an unattended dog in a vehicle, so much so that they won’t bother to read or even look at the screen display. And then there are those who steal dogs.

The temp showed 66 in the dog mode screen and on the phone. Outside temp was 48. I assumed dog mode would ventilate the car to get rid of dog breath and moisture, wasn't worried about the hairy dog getting cold. Was restrained in the rear on a doggie seat cover. Tuned AC off and cracked windows the rest of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I had the same same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I also had an alert on my phone that the temperature got to 80 something degrees at the same time.
One of the main reasons I bought the car was for the dog mode. I’ve got two big dogs and live in Georgia. They will be five years old in March and do not know what a hot car is. I have been very frustrated with Dog mode, the 66° minimum is nuts because there is only one temperature sensor in the cabin. And the past, my dogs have rolled the windows down by stepping on the armrest.

Finally, if there is anything Tesla really needs to do advertising on is educating the world on dog mode. it is one of the best features of the vehicle, there are a lot of very hot and very cold areas where Teslas are being sold. I am also getting very tired of people lecturing me about the care of my dogs, when I have spent over $60,000 for their care. Please let the world know about dog mode, before my windows gets smashed by a good Samaritan

We also need a dog mode, video playlist, or barkyoke, it would be nice to see a Tesla channel of what dogs are currently listening to in their Teslas to keep my dogs current and hip with the other ones.

Also, could the stupid cabin camera be used for something other than protecting Elon’s liability? Maybe be able to recognize the pets, and use the seat sensors to let us know which dog is in which seat. Have snapshots of each animal sent to your phone, so you don’t have to wait for video to download
I don’t have a baby, but you might be able to to get some safety functionality there too if someone was to leave a child in a car. It might even do something smart like turn the AC on even if it was not set.

Also adding permanent retractable sunshade today. Why is not even in the cyber truck I have no idea

Yes, I just wrote the new Tesla commercial. Stay human.
IMG_1599.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg

Last edited:

Yes, two hours is far too long with buggy software that could do anything at any time. The dogs are not responsible enough to take over when the software screws up.

• Funny
Reactions: iwannam3