Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Owners Back Seat Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a better door protection solution than the typical back seat hammocks come with? They all have plastic tabs that slide between the door panel and glass and are guaranteed over time to scratch your tint (for those that have tint film over the factory AS3 tinted glass). The only other option I've found was one mfg. who used a strip of velcro on the door panel and that is also a hard no.

Some hammocks, like this one, come with side panels to protect the doors. They are supposed to hang from the grab handles or the clothes hooks. I was able to rig bungee cords to hold up the side panels. Mine wasn't the one from Duluth but it was a similar idea.

The hammocks didn't work out for me. My rambunctious dog was able to break through in a corner and scratch the vegan leather. I was using a hammock with side panels combined with the Tesla pet protector.

I tried lots of different things and here is what finally worked for me:

I keep the back seats folded down, giving my dog access to the entire back area of the car. The floor of the back is covered with Tesmanian floor mats. But those would get muddy instantly so I covered the mats with a 60 inch x 80 inch"cooling" dog blanket. I was able to bungee the blanket to the folded down head rests and use large binder clips to attach it to the mats in the back. I can still access the subtrunk because the mat and the blanket can fold up with the panel. Laundering the blanket is much easier than washing the mats.

For a long time I had a nice foam dog bed back there but my dog figured out how to use the dog bed to overturn his unspillable water bowl. So he lost dog bed privileges in the car. BTW despite this failure mode, those bowls are terrific, especially for dogs who like to slobber water all over the floor. I use one in the house, one in the car, and I got a third for my dog trainer.

That dog is too clever for my own good.

Reactions: PhantmMenace
Has anyone found a better door protection solution than the typical back seat hammocks come with? They all have plastic tabs that slide between the door panel and glass and are guaranteed over time to scratch your tint (for those that have tint film over the factory AS3 tinted glass). The only other option I've found was one mfg. who used a strip of velcro on the door panel and that is also a hard no.
Along with hammock, I used dog door protectors in my Model 3 for four years with the velcro and plastic tabs that slide down into the door. My rear windows were tinted with Suntek ceramic at 5%. I rolled the window up-down every day for four years. I removed it last month when I traded it for MYP. The velcro tabs did not damage the door panel in any way and the tint was 100% unscratched. I installed the same door cover on my MYP. Really worked nicely.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CDWM1MGD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_20JKSH4KWCF2X8M80C8V

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
There are several newer seat protectors that have rigid bottoms, which is a great improvement over the hammock style. The one I purchased has side panels with straps that hang from the rather flimsy Tesla coat hooks.
Based on experience, I strongly recommend tethering your dog at all times. Even a minor sudden braking can hurt a dog.

Reactions: PhantmMenace
There are several newer seat protectors that have rigid bottoms, which is a great improvement over the hammock style. The one I purchased has side panels with straps that hang from the rather flimsy Tesla coat hooks.
Based on experience, I strongly recommend tethering your dog at all times. Even a minor sudden braking can hurt a dog.
Agree about the tethering. The hammock is only used to protect my seats but is in no way a safety measure. My dogs are tethered using a proper strap that attaches to the seatbelt.