Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy an X in a snowy climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think, the original poster seems to agree that the MX is not having issue with snow. It is more of the sensors around the car when covered by ice. Again, I am totally agreed with that. But, it is not just Tesla. Every car with sensors have the same issue. It is because Tesla is heavily uses/depends on sensors. Therefore, the issue seems more pronounce than other car brand. To me, as long as you understand the limitation of the current technology. It is then less of the issue and work with limitation instead.
And more importantly just allow your doors to open without tech. I don't need a computer to tell me if I can open my door, I should always be able to override it... But yes, thanks for getting it! Lol

Reactions: brainhouston
Weird. I've had almost zero issues with my Model X in freaking rural Manitoba for over 7 years... (and we had a Signature S for 4ish years before that) One time I couldn't get a Falcon wing door open, but with a bit of scraping it normally works. Not sure what I'm doing differently... I do have an older model. I've had it in - 45C weather (with my Model S we hit -50C at the cabin once), no issues with the screen.

Garages go a long way to mitigating this, and we don't get as much freezing rain as out east, I suppose. Manitobans have beefy scrapers, and the glass makes scraping relatively easy. Just a bit time consuming - but pre-heating the cabin (or leaving the heat on for short errands) mitigates that, too.

The main thing in snowy/icy climates is to get the AWD. If my Signature S had AWD, I'd have kept it... but that's any car - in rural conditions in Manitoba you really want AWD no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44